Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Fiery Taylor Asks Bengals To Stay Connected
The wolves are here
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]

Quote:"Success doesn’t mean every single move they make is good" ~ Anonymous 
"Let not the dumb have to educate" ~ jj22
Reply/Quote
(09-22-2019, 10:34 PM)TKUHL Wrote: Right, Taylor’s remark is somewhat concerning. Here we are 0-3 and he seems more worried about the critics and fans instead of who we play next week. He definitely doesn’t fear his boss that’s for sure.

He legit feels they've played well enough to be 2-1.

We had 0 1st downs in the 1st half against the Bills. I don't care what the final score is...that's not well enough to win.
Reply/Quote
If he's actually saying we are 0-3 but we played well enough to be 2-1 then that is some little league-grade bs right there.
Reply/Quote
(09-22-2019, 08:44 PM)reuben.ahmed Wrote: Taylor is saying the wolves are coming, he means us (the fans), the media, etc. He didn't seem to mean other teams (seeing a weak team to eat them alive). More like all the articles about Taylor can't get it done, is dalton the one, why can't we run, etc. 

(09-22-2019, 10:34 PM)TKUHL Wrote: ... he seems more worried about the critics and fans instead of who we play next week.

Did he explicitly state this, or are you guys playing "arm-chair psychiatrist?"
Reply/Quote
(09-22-2019, 11:09 PM)Tomkat Wrote: Did he explicitly state this, or are you guys playing "arm-chair psychiatrist?"

He spelled it out during his press conference:

[b]You commented earlier about ‘the wolves,’ who are ‘the wolves’?[/b]

Everybody outside the building. It’s friends, it’s everybody. It’s media and we have to stay on course and our guys believe that and we feel like we’ll be in good shape going forward.
Reply/Quote
(09-22-2019, 11:01 PM)THE PISTONS Wrote: He legit feels they've played well enough to be 2-1.

We had 0 1st downs in the 1st half against the Bills. I don't care what the final score is...that's not well enough to win.

It could be if your QB throws a better pass that doesn't get picked and allows you to have another down in the red zone. 

"The measure of a man's intelligence can be seen in the length of his argument."
Reply/Quote
(09-22-2019, 10:34 PM)TKUHL Wrote: Right, Taylor’s remark is somewhat concerning. Here we are 0-3 and he seems more worried about the critics and fans instead of who we play next week. He definitely doesn’t fear his boss that’s for sure.

I believe his comments were just trying to keep the locker room together. He knows once the “wolves” start to bite is when teams fall apart which is true. The good teams/coaches push through and stick together. Let’s see if he can keep the locker room. I don’t really care what lies he has to tell them if he’s able to keep them motivated and together it’s at least a positive.

I’ve seen plenty of teams turn on each other and quit. If you think the 0-3 start is ugly and embarrassing wait until the team turns on him and each other. I’m rooting for Taylor. It’s obviously not gonna be a one year turn around. Hopefully he can right the ship as well as humanly possible considering the massive holes in the hull of this one-then maybe he’ll talk the FO into bringing in a quality player or two via FA. That’d be a start.
If he loses the locker room in less than a month then we really are looking at an 0-16 season
Reply/Quote
(09-22-2019, 11:16 PM)rfaulk34 Wrote: It could be if your QB throws a better pass that doesn't get picked and allows you to have another down in the red zone. 

Teams with 0 1st downs in the 1st half don't win many games, but yes...IF Aaron Rodgers or Brady were our QB's on that drive, we likely win.
Reply/Quote
(09-22-2019, 11:11 PM)THE PISTONS Wrote: He spelled it out during his press conference:

[b]You commented earlier about ‘the wolves,’ who are ‘the wolves’?[/b]

Everybody outside the building. It’s friends, it’s everybody. It’s media and we have to stay on course and our guys believe that and we feel like we’ll be in good shape going forward.

So, everybody outside the building includes other teams, yes?
It doesn't seem to be exclusively friends, media, etc.
Reply/Quote
(09-22-2019, 11:19 PM)THE PISTONS Wrote: Teams with 0 1st downs in the 1st half don't win many games, but yes...IF Aaron Rodgers or Brady were our QB's on that drive, we likely win.

Plenty of guys that could make those throws, not just the elite. 

Teams don't just win when they play well in the first half. That's a false narrative. 

"The measure of a man's intelligence can be seen in the length of his argument."
Reply/Quote
(09-22-2019, 11:19 PM)leonardfan40 Wrote: I believe his comments were just trying to keep the locker room together. He knows once the “wolves” start to bite is when teams fall apart which is true. The good teams/coaches push through and stick together. Let’s see if he can keep the locker room. I don’t really care what lies he has to tell them if he’s able to keep them motivated and together it’s at least a positive.

I’ve seen plenty of teams turn on each other and quit. If you think the 0-3 start is ugly and embarrassing wait until the team turns on him and each other. I’m rooting for Taylor. It’s obviously not gonna be a one year turn around. Hopefully he can right the ship as well as humanly possible considering the massive holes in the hull of this one-then maybe he’ll talk the FO into bringing in a quality player or two via FA. That’d be a start.
If he loses the locker room in less than a month then we really are looking at an 0-16 season

A concern at this point is that the offensive and defensive schemes don't look at innovative. It's either that, or we don't have the personnel to execute them.

A 1 yard WR screen on 3rd and 10 just isn't going to cut it.

Teams crush us with misdirection...and we just don't do it back to them for whatever reason.
Reply/Quote
(09-22-2019, 10:43 PM)jj22 Wrote: The wolves are here

[Image: 6b9499b60350ed253306908a7fe14b10.jpg]
Reply/Quote
(09-22-2019, 11:24 PM)THE PISTONS Wrote: Teams crush us with misdirection...and we just don't do it back to them for whatever reason.

Just watched Goff fake a pitch to the left, then roll right - there wasn't a Cleveland player within 5-10 yards of him... easy completion for like 15 yards.
Bottom line, if your QB is getting killed in the pocket, move him out/away from the pocket.
Reply/Quote
(09-22-2019, 10:43 PM)jj22 Wrote: The wolves are here

Was definitely one of those wolves during the first half and then at the end.  Yardwork, good grillin' and time with the kids made me forget a bit and then i read the article referenced in OP.  For some reason, I actually am still a believer that we're close in terms sharing that "should be 2-1" mentality, especially given yet another fun year of ridiculous injuries.  

I think Zac's speech was necessary.  Seeing him going nuts to the Ref at the end, I imagine him in that way screamin about it, and I think he just has a different style than the norm to inspire a group of men.  I think we can all agree that we were all nervous in what we were going to see this game after the 49er's game, but the defense (minus Dre, ugh.... he must go soon) was definitely setting edges and overall looked better.  Whatever the coaches are doing, including inspiring our offense to adjust at halftime (we can do that now, it seems.  Maybe not jargon?), has me still interested in seeing what happens next.  

I was never personally under the impression that this staff or any staff would take our current team straight to a SB, and have seen plenty of differences in scheme to suggest we're on our way to something good.  The timeframe for that "something good" is where I'm fuzzy because who knows what our team could look like healthy?  I choose to believe we'd be a great team with Jonah, Cordy, Jordan, Green, etc. still able to be in the lineup.  I imagine I'm not the only one that still sees a good QB in Dalton that would do more than he's doing right now if our line wasn't decimated.  I watch better QB's do just as badly running for their lives, they just run for their lives less!  

TLDR; Who Dey
Reply/Quote
This team has huge flaws. We know where they are. OL & LB, primarily. We all knew that going into the season. I hoped that they'd play above their talent level. But I'm not surprised that they haven't. And I'm not disappointed. I give ZT credit. He has them fighting hard, but we're just not that good.

John Miller stinks. Bobby Hart stinks. Andre Smith stinks. Hell, Billy Price isn't even that good. We have to be able to run the ball if we expect to win any games. Obviously, we can't do that behind this line, and Dalton's pressured on nearly every pass play.

On defense, we're terrible stopping misdirection or anything on the edges. That's because we're slow at LB. I'm not talking about only slow in terms of physical speed, but slow to read and react. San Fran exposed us, and Buffalo could have run up a big score had they stuck to the misdirections and the outside run game. We've shown no signs of being able to stop those types of plays.

Given the weaknesses of our LBs and Oline, we might get lucky and win 2 or 3 games this year. Maybe. But it won't be Zack Taylor's fault.

EDIT: I forgot to mention that Dre K. sucks.
Today I'm TEAM SEWELL. Tomorrow TEAM PITTS. Maybe TEAM CHASE. I can't decide, and glad I don't have to.
Reply/Quote
(09-22-2019, 08:06 PM)THE PISTONS Wrote: ORCHARD PARK, N.Y - Bengals head coach Zac Taylor, who brought California cool with his Rams playbook, blew hot in Sunday’s post-game speech to his team.

In the wake of the Bills’ 21-17 victory secured on an interception of Andy Dalton at the Bills 10 with 12 seconds left, Taylor’s voice could be heard in the adjacent interview room.

Basically, he was telling his players in a raised, animated voice to hang in because they’re playing tough enough and battling enough to win. Safety Jessie Bates admitted that was a new side to Taylor.

“Zac’s kind of a calm and cool guy. I think that gets us going, too, when gets fired up,” Bates said.

Safety Shawn Williams loved it.

“I love Zac. That’s all I could think about,” Williams said of the talk. “I’ll play for him. I’ll never quit on that guy. Not him … He wants to win. He knows how to win. We just have to put it together.”

Taylor kept his composure, but he sees plays like the holding call that wiped out Darius Phillips' kick return TD and the 12-men on the field penalty that forced them to score a touchdown at the end and not kick a tying field goal and knows how close they are to 2-1 instead of 0-3. He also knows what's next: "The wolves are coming and they're going to try and tear us apart." He defined wolves as "anybody who's not in our building."

https://www.bengals.com/news/quick-hits-fiery-taylor-asks-bengals-to-stay-connected

Good share.  Thanks, Piston.  I love this and I won't bother to compare it to Marv, but I see that he isn't quitting and, hopefully, neither will his team.  

I would tell them to hold more as only about 15 visual blatant holds were on Buffalo and I didn't see one called.  Calling Tate for that "hold" (even the announcers said they didn't really see anything) was a classic case of a ref seeing the play break open and on his way to a TD so he threw a flag behind the play.  I have seen it many times and this is nothing different.  I have no idea why the Bengals are on the NFL's shyt list, but clearly they have been there for some time. 

Maybe it has to do with market size, and maybe it has to do with low attendance (I mean, can you blame people after that home opener?).

Whatever the cause, it was laughable how poor the officiating was AGAIN this week.  
Reply/Quote
(09-23-2019, 02:49 AM)Shady Wrote: This team has huge flaws. We know where they are. OL & LB, primarily. We all knew that going into the season. I hoped that they'd play above their talent level. But I'm not surprised that they haven't. And I'm not disappointed. I give ZT credit. He has them fighting hard, but we're just not that good.

John Miller stinks. Bobby Hart stinks. Andre Smith stinks. Hell, Billy Price isn't even that good. We have to be able to run the ball if we expect to win any games. Obviously, we can't do that behind this line, and Dalton's pressured on nearly every pass play.

On defense, we're terrible stopping misdirection or anything on the edges. That's because we're slow at LB. I'm not talking about only slow in terms of physical speed, but slow to read and react. San Fran exposed us, and Buffalo could have run up a big score had they stuck to the misdirections and the outside run game. We've shown no signs of being able to stop those types of plays.

Given the weaknesses of our LBs and Oline, we might get lucky and win 2 or 3 games this year. Maybe. But it won't be Zack Taylor's fault.

EDIT: I forgot to mention that Dre K. sucks.

Pretty much this. 
[Image: Screenshot-2022-02-02-154836.png]
The boys are just talkin' ball, babyyyy
Reply/Quote
(09-22-2019, 11:16 PM)rfaulk34 Wrote: It could be if your QB throws a better pass that doesn't get picked and allows you to have another down in the red zone. 

Yep. If Bullock doesn't miss in Seattle, Dalton doesn't fumble in Seattle, John Ross doesn't have 211 drops, John Ross catches the sure TD pass yesterday in his breadbasket that he didn't even lay a finger on, he doesn't fumble away a first down, we get the fumble recovery we should have.....etc, etc.

The team has played well against two solid teams, and bad against another one. Buffalo had the number 2 pass defense last season, and look to be right back at it. It sucks to lose, but it's not like we opened up with Miami and Arizona.

"Better send those refunds..."

Reply/Quote
(09-22-2019, 11:22 PM)rfaulk34 Wrote: Plenty of guys that could make those throws, not just the elite. 

Teams don't just win when they play well in the first half. That's a false narrative. 

Much like the Chargers we put ourselves in that position, and much like Andy Dalton, Philip Rivers threw an errant pass in traffic that was (in his case almost) intercepted. It happens. Rivers' bad throw was on 4th down, tipped, and the second defender dropped it. In our game, they intercepted the tip.

"Better send those refunds..."

Reply/Quote
(09-23-2019, 10:47 AM)Wyche Wrote: Yep. If Bullock doesn't miss in Seattle, Dalton doesn't fumble in Seattle, John Ross doesn't have 211 drops, John Ross catches the sure TD pass yesterday in his breadbasket that he didn't even lay a finger on, he doesn't fumble away a first down, we get the fumble recovery we should have.....etc, etc.

The team has played well against two solid teams, and bad against another one. Buffalo had the number 2 pass defense last season, and look to be right back at it. It sucks to lose, but it's not like we opened up with Miami and Arizona.

If we lose to a bottom tier team (something we were sure SF and Buffalo were until they beat us) I'm sure we'd find a reason we shoulda won.  So far that seems to be the mantra of 2019.  We shoulda won. 
Reply/Quote