Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Filling holes-If a few more weak spots get upgraded then GM off hook & Coaches on it
(03-16-2018, 02:45 PM)depthchart Wrote: Cordy Glenn and Preston Brown seem to sure up two weak link areas on this team. Should a few more spots get addressed and upgraded (Center as one example) then GM Mike Brown can move aside as the target of blame for the 2018 season.

It may be that Marvin himself has pressured Mike into these changes but even if that is true, Mike Brown would still be OFF the hook of blame should the 2018 season not fair well. (Assuming a few more weak starting link areas actually get upgraded.) The Draft is opening up as a Great opportunity to do just that. Sure up the now diminishing amount of glaring weak starting links and likely get some other positions bolstered as well in the draft.

If this does happen and it actually looks like it will (fingers crossed) then all eyes should shift to the Coaching Staff to win with this more balanced roster. The Coaches may actually have the ammunition, roster wise, to win. Would then be up to them to show what they can do as Coaches and make this team a threat in the AFC.

Whether pressured to or not, Mike Brown has been filling weak areas with quality players this offseason and may only be a few more weak area upgrades away from giving his Coaching Staff no excuses.

Keep this going with a few more starter upgrades Mike and get yourself off that Hook for this 2018 season as GM.

Get a spring in your step Marvin and tap into all of your experience in the NFL to Upgrade your own Legacy by winning. End this 0 and 7 talk. Get more on Par with some of your coaching Peers like Mike Tomlin by sending Tomlin off the field a loser. Won't be able to point at the GM if a few more holes get filled even if it was you who pushed the GM to fill them.

Keep this hole filling going with just a few more glaring ones to fill and get this train rolling.

Passive doesn't work in this kill or be killed league.  Weak links get exploited.

Fill these last glaring starting holes and then it is up to our Coaching Staff to out Coach the guys on the opposing sidelines.

Yeah, well, Mikey is on the hook for multiple decades of suck arse football.

The coaches were lame last year. Mikey Brown's favorite coach was finally let go.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]

Reply/Quote
(03-16-2018, 04:44 PM)oncemoreuntothejimbreech Wrote: Um . . . no. The GM drafted a first round LT bust who has just been replaced, a second round RT with A fib that needs to be replaced, and didn't re-sign Whitworth last year which has negatively impacted their draft position this year, and he missed his window of opportunity to trade McCarron.

Bottom line, the GM is responsible for why the offensive line is in shambles and needs to be rebuilt instead of strengthening other positions.

Can forgive them on whiffing in draft, it happens. 

But have a hard time with why they were even drafted over actual needs that particular season and for allowing Whit and Zeitler to walk together the next with no proven replacements. Agree with the AJM trade fumble as well. 

Yet applaud them for trying to change directions and turn this thing around with bold moves this offseason. Can forgive if ones learns from mistakes and keeps trying to get better. 

Finally it feels that way to me. 

The water tastes funny when you're far from your home,
yet it's only the thirsty that hunger to roam. 
          Roam the Jungle !
Reply/Quote
(03-17-2018, 01:06 AM)Go Cards Wrote: Can forgive them on whiffing in draft, it happens. 

But have a hard time with why they were even drafted over actual needs that particular season and for allowing Whit and Zeitler to walk together the next with no proven replacements. Agree with the AJM trade fumble as well. 

Yet applaud them for trying to change directions and turn this thing around with bold moves this offseason. Can forgive if ones learns from mistakes and keeps trying to get better. 

Finally it feels that way to me. 

The Cordy Glenn trade is an upgrade if he is healthy. Do we even know if he has passed his physical?

And how many times has Mike allowed this to happen to the O line? At least twice during the Marvin Lewis era alone.
Reply/Quote
It should also be noted that Dalton is on the hook now as well. He's going to have to perform well come playoff time, something he's yet to do in 4 appearances.

Reply/Quote
(03-16-2018, 04:44 PM)oncemoreuntothejimbreech Wrote: Um . . . no. The GM drafted a first round LT bust who has just been replaced, a second round RT with A fib that needs to be replaced, and didn't re-sign Whitworth last year which has negatively impacted their draft position this year, and he missed his window of opportunity to trade McCarron.

Bottom line, the GM is responsible for why the offensive line is in shambles and needs to be rebuilt instead of strengthening other positions.

[Image: tenor.gif?itemid=10333822]
[Image: 51209558878_91a895e0bb_m.jpg]
Reply/Quote
Our GM is an ass.

That is why our team wasted seasons.

Always need obvious pieces to get over the hump and does it in a lackadaisical manner.

I wouldn't doubt he was napping in his office when these deals were done. Whatever
[Image: 51209558878_91a895e0bb_m.jpg]
Reply/Quote
(03-17-2018, 01:19 AM)oncemoreuntothejimbreech Wrote: The Cordy Glenn trade is an upgrade if he is healthy. Do we even know if he has passed his physical?  

And how many times has Mike allowed this to happen to the O line?  At least twice during the Marvin Lewis era alone.

Well, yeah.  I would say we do know he passed it.  Would he have been signed if he hadn't?  Seems like common sense to me.  Nothing wrong with condemning the negative.  Also nothing wrong with applauding the positive when it happens.  Otherwise, it comes off as hey you kids, get off my lawn.
“Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I’m not sure about the universe.” ― Albert Einstein

http://www.reverbnation.com/leftyohio  singersongwriterrocknroll

Reply/Quote
This is the most logically conducted off-season the Bengals have had since 2011.
Reply/Quote
(03-16-2018, 04:26 PM)grampahol Wrote: I suspect that even if this team were to go onto winning the next 5 superbowls (yeah, impossible sounding isn't it? ) there will still be a large contingency of fans screaming for both Brown's and Lewis's heads.. 

Bengals win 5 Super Bowls in a row, I'll personally GIVE Brown and Lewis head. 
Reply/Quote
(03-17-2018, 12:03 PM)McC Wrote: Well, yeah.  I would say we do know he passed it.  Would he have been signed if he hadn't?  Seems like common sense to me.  Nothing wrong with condemning the negative.  Also nothing wrong with applauding the positive when it happens.  Otherwise, it comes off as hey you kids, get off my lawn.

He has to pass a physical for the trade to be finalized. If he fails the physical, the trade is voided. I think there have been two free agents fail their physicals so far this week after the signed with their new teams.
Reply/Quote
(03-17-2018, 02:05 PM)oncemoreuntothejimbreech Wrote: He has to pass a physical for the trade to be finalized. If he fails the physical, the trade is voided. I think there have been two free agents fail their physicals so far this week after the signed with their new teams.

Got it.  You don't want to see a silver lining. Fine by me.
“Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I’m not sure about the universe.” ― Albert Einstein

Reply/Quote
(03-17-2018, 02:43 PM)McC Wrote: Got it.  You don't want to see a silver lining. Fine by me.

Because I don't agree the GM/owner is less responsible than the coaches for the success of the team this season?
Reply/Quote
(03-16-2018, 05:41 PM)The Caped Crusader Wrote: The only thing I'd want is a credible second receiver. Perhaps Ross is that.

You know, I wouldn't be shocked to see them go WR early.  I think that and corner are always on the table as options, because this team values the positions so much.  
Reply/Quote
(03-17-2018, 02:48 PM)oncemoreuntothejimbreech Wrote: Because I don't agree the GM/owner is less responsible than the coaches for the success of the team this season?

Let's make a deal.  I won't insult your intelligence and you won't insult mine.  The FO has done a helluva job.  Not doing it in the past is not a legit reason to not give credit due for what is being done now.

Reply/Quote
(03-16-2018, 07:09 PM)oncemoreuntothejimbreech Wrote: Last year they lost their two best offensive lineman during free agency while drafting two offensive skill players with injury and character concerns during the first two rounds. Their shiny new WR accumulated more surgeries than receptions and they still haven't fixed the line. (Cordy Glenn hasn't had a healthy season in two years and is coming off of foot surgery so hopefully that gamble pays off instead of being another Antonio Bryant.) So the GM still has a helluva lot more work to do before the coaches are more responsible than the GM.

I agree that more still has to be done.

In my original post I said "Should a few more spots get addressed and upgraded (Center as one example)".

Mike Brown has gone part way towards fixing some of these glaring holes and has a chance to go further.

He may pull up and only go part way.

All I am hoping for is that he uses early round draft capital to go the rest of the way towards fixing the remaining weakest starting links.

I would love to feel like he has done so after this draft and then have the focus shift to the Coaching Staff as being responsible to take it from there.

I will be let down once again if we don't at least see this offseason go "all the way" towards fixing the most obvious weakest links.

It has been partially done which makes it seem within reach and possible that those few extra upgrades may actually get done.

Will be a shame if they stop at part way and pull up once again.
Reply/Quote
(03-16-2018, 02:56 PM)depthchart Wrote: .

Burfict just rained on my optimism parade by facing suspension.

Still a chance for optimism but I should have expected some sort of wet blanket.  Mellow

Bengals tried to trade him on Friday to Raiders. Had the deal gone down, he would already be gone.  Bengals contract with Burfict has a suspension clause now, their lawyers not stupid, they saw more suspensions coming.  If Burfict appeal fails, then 11 M of his contract is void and Bengals save 11M of his 33 M contract.  News says this means he becomes even more able to be cut or traded with Bengals not eating as much money on the move or cap hit.  News is Bengals who were trying to trade him on Friday to Raiders are even more ready to dump his payroll now with yet another long suspension. Anymore, he is suspended more then he plays. Bengals looking to get rid of him, and if deal had gone down Friday he would today be a Raider.  Bengals have been shopping him. I don't think they brought in this big money LB to play with Bufict, not with them trying to trade Burfict as soon as they got the Bills LB.

I'm very positive about the new coaches and I see a lot of upsides to the trying to trade Burfict. This Coach Austin has been a part of 3 Super Bowl Defenses and coached under Joe Paterno, Urban Meyer, John Harbaugh and other top coaches. Hopefully Cincy is the 4th city he brings Super Bowl Defense to, with or without Mr Burfict.
1968 Bengal Fan
Reply/Quote
Having the right people is part of the answer. Preparing them well, motivating them, and managing the game well while it is happening are others. I don't hate Marv -- I kind of like him and I think many of our recent Oline problems were not his fault. But I think there is room for improvement in the things he does do.

Reply/Quote
(03-16-2018, 05:59 PM)oncemoreuntothejimbreech Wrote: We've already heard the same excuses going into free agency before the new league year began. Marvin will just blame the players anyway.

we already heard your whining too... But here it is again
Reply/Quote
(03-17-2018, 03:18 PM)McC Wrote: Let's make a deal.  I won't insult your intelligence and you won't insult mine.  The FO has done a helluva job.  Not doing it in the past is not a legit reason to not give credit due for what is being done now.

The premise of the thread is has the GM improved the team enough to be off the hook for any blame for 2018 if he continues to fill more holes. The Cordy Glenn trade is a good move if he can stay healthy. Signing Preston Brown is a good signing especially in light of their history of free agent LBer signings. Matt Barkley is probably as good as they can do for a back up free agent QB without over spending. Does three good moves absolve the GM/owner of any "blame" for 2018? In my opinion, no. That's a difference of opinion not an insult to your intelligence. Also, I just gave them credit for three good moves which means I can give them credit while believing the GM is still partially responsible for any failure or success.
Reply/Quote
(03-16-2018, 07:09 PM)oncemoreuntothejimbreech Wrote: Last year they lost their two best offensive lineman during free agency while drafting two offensive skill players with injury and character concerns during the first two rounds. Their shiny new WR accumulated more surgeries than receptions and they still haven't fixed the line. (Cordy Glenn hasn't had a healthy season in two years and is coming off of foot surgery so hopefully that gamble pays off instead of being another Antonio Bryant.) So the GM still has a helluva lot more work to do before the coaches are more responsible than the GM.

Ross had no character concerns.

They have made changes to the OC, Offensive line coach (finally!), and have seen what Boling can do  as LT (very well, thank you) should Glenn have another injury (good to have a back up plan).  They have also seen what Westerman and Redmond can do (apparently, a lot better than Hopkins) and they have let Bodine go in favor of a draft pick and likely a very high selection.

I wouldn't say they are done, but they have done quite a bit to improve the offensive line.  They need the Center and a RT from the draft, but I like what they have at guard and Glenn at LT.  

I put a lot of this season's success at the feet of Lazor.  He at least moved Dalton from the sitting duck spot before he could change the blocking schematics right away, and that showed me he at least had some idea what the problems were with the offense.  He got the rushing attack going with his line scheme at the end of the year.  If he can get a healthy Eifert on the field with Ross to take the pressure off AJ, he just might have something to go with this re-tooled offensive line.  

And I have said it many times, when Dalton is kept clean, he picks teams apart.  
Reply/Quote