Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Final Fanspeak New Era Mock
Well I think the message of the off season has been change and a new beginning and I feel this mock continues that as well as elevates this franchise to the next level. Dalton Haters should be thrilled with this mock![Image: dwayne-haskins-090118jpg_6k9fmkkhag961n5...quality=70]

1: R1P11

QB DWAYNE HASKINS 6'3" 231
OHIO ST.
I am not a Dalton hater but as an OSU and Bengals fan I really like this  selection. A fresh start for the franchise and for Dalton. Haskins is the new face of the franchise. Not a throw he cannot make and outstanding football IQ and character. Just as ZT ushered in a new era for this team the selection of Haskins continues this trend.

[Image: wilson-athletic.jpg]

2: R2P10
LB MACK WILSON 6'1" 240
ALABAMA
No doubt LB has been a weakness for this franchise. In Wilson we get a hitter that is a strength in coverage and not a liability. Wilson was clocked at a very solid 4.65 at the Bama Pro Day. I would envision Mack starting at WLB in the base defense and MLB in the nickel and would take over the MLB position once the contract of Preston Brown is done. Day 1 starter and huge upgrade.

[Image: 981762e7-fb85-4ca4-988b-7cae3d940ce1-Elg...fit=bounds]

3: R3P8
C ELGTON JENKINS 6'4" 310
MISS. STATE
Jenkins is absolutely a Swiss Army knife on the O line. At MSU he started at virtually every line position and performed at a very high level at everyone of them. He could start at center allowing Price to move to RG. He could start at RG making Miller first OG off the bench. Emergency starter at LT and possibly groomed to be the future there.

[Image: Scharpingcover1.jpg]

4: R4P8
OT MAX SCHARPING 6'6" 327
N. ILLINOIS
Day 1 upgrade at RT. Hart is a good signing for depth that we have been lacking and that is what he just became with the drafting of Scharping. Extremely smart young man with experience at both OT positions. Extremely durable starting all 52 of his possible games in college. I think Scharping has the potential to become a LT at the NFL level but could be a long term dominant RT.

[Image: Mike-Weber-by-Kirby-Lee_dcd4nt.jpg]

5: R5P11
RB MIKE WEBER 5'10" 211
OHIO ST.
Walton is gone. His off season exploits are unacceptable and time to move on and continue the new era changes. Weber is a stand up young man and he runs with absolute attitude. Many OSU fans tried to continually write him off for Dobbins but Weber would not go away. Runs hard every time the ball is in his hands and just a good all around back. If he gets in the open field he has shown he can run away from people or run over them. Weber reminds me a lot of Rudi!

[Image: q2cedhf8jywylnnfzzxn]

6: R6P10
DL TRYSTEN HILL 6'3" 308
UCF
It is not a secret that Hill has some maturity questions. What is not a question is the disruptive force he can be in the middle of the D line. Geno is 31 and not getting younger. It would be great to see a guy like Hill mentored by the ultimate Pro in Geno. I believe with attitude in check that Hill could immediately give valuable snaps to spell Geno and keep him fresh.

[Image: 8255550.jpg]

7: R6P25
LB JOE GILES-HARRIS 6'2" 234
DUKE
Just like Jenkins is a Swiss Army knife on the O line Giles-Harris is as a LB. Very smart, technically sound, and high football IQ. Our new do it all Vinny Rey only with more athleticism. Another LB addition that is not a liability in coverage that could start at any LB spot for this defense. 

[Image: 392be9a0-a2f5-4e06-bf6e-287296852c4a-Jaz...fit=bounds]

8: R6P37
WR JAZZ FERGUSON 6'5" 227
NORTHWESTERN STATE
Yes there were some red flags with Ferguson as a freshman at LSU with the failed drug test and academics. However, Ferguson transferred to Northwestern State and put in the work to get his grades in order and clean up his act. By all accounts he has been a model team member at NWS. Elite size, speed, length combination. Needs polish as a route runner but most do when transitioning from the collegiate level. Will have to show he wants to work and not just depend on natural talent but the sky is the limit for this young man if he can meet his talent level.

[Image: 5b8b0723e1fcc.image.jpg?resize=500%2C658]

9: R6P38
OT PAUL ADAMS 6'6" 317
MISSOURI
Adams has the size, the athleticism, and the length. He has faced high caliber pass rushers in the SEC on a regular basis and done pretty well. Can he benefit from a NFL weight training program and become a quality NFL OT? He will have to get more physical and prove he can make the transition but has the abilities to do it if applied. If he does not make the OT transition could he move inside?

[Image: DueiSG-VsAA0NjY.jpg]

10: R6P40
CB JORDAN BROWN 6'0" 201
SOUTH DAKOTA STATE
Small school prospect with a nice upside. Has shown elite ability and is very fluid at the position. Is a kid that could really blossom with NFL coaching. I believe the kid will become a very talented NFL CB in the near future.

[Image: michigan-penn-state-2662.jpg?w=1000&h=60...600&crop=1]

11: R7P9
TE ZACH GENTRY 6'8" 265
MICHIGAN
Runs pretty good routes and has pretty soft hands. Needs to improve as an in line blocker if he wants to be an every down TE at the NFL level but goodness what a redzone target. Has some natural ability but needs to put some work in to make the transition.
Reply/Quote
Gotta say, this mock doesn't thrill me much. The only pick I like is the 7th rd.
Reply/Quote
I like a lot of this.

I'm even ok with Haskins. I have reservations about him being a "one-year wonder" and some nervousness of his ability to stay poised and perform when pressured, but he has very good accuracy and arm strength when he can stay clean. He reminds me somewhat of Carson Palmer. Does his best work in the pocket but not very mobile. He may underperform until the Bengals can get a good enough line around him.

The way you phrase it in OP is you would expect 4th rounder Max Scharping to come in and start at RT from Day 1? Is he that kind of prospect? From what I've researched, he has good potential and played well in college but he played in the MAC. There might be some growing pains with the jump in competition. Also, I just noticed...he has the same arm length as Jonah Williams, so if people think Jonah Williams can't play OT in the NFL due to length, I'd imagine they do (or should) have reservations on Scharping sticking outside in the NFL for the same reason. I'd be fine with Scharping as a mid-round selection.
Zac Taylor 2019-2020: 6 total wins
Zac Taylor 2021-2022: Double-digit wins each season, plus 5 postseason wins
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
I am okay with Taylor selecting a QB if the Line and Linebackers are taken care of afterwards. Not the biggest fan of Haskins but if that is who Taylor wants i am for it. Love the Jenkins, Sharping, Jazz picks. No way Gentry falls all that way though man.
Reply/Quote
(04-05-2019, 02:08 PM)ochocincos Wrote: I like a lot of this.

I'm even ok with Haskins. I have reservations about him being a "one-year wonder" and some nervousness of his ability to stay poised and perform when pressured, but he has very good accuracy and arm strength when he can stay clean. He reminds me somewhat of Carson Palmer. Does his best work in the pocket but not very mobile. He may underperform until the Bengals can get a good enough line around him.

The way you phrase it in OP is you would expect 4th rounder Max Scharping to come in and start at RT from Day 1? Is he that kind of prospect? From what I've researched, he has good potential and played well in college but he played in the MAC. There might be some growing pains with the jump in competition. Also, I just noticed...he has the same arm length as Jonah Williams, so if people think Jonah Williams can't play OT in the NFL due to length, I'd imagine they do (or should) have reservations on Scharping sticking outside in the NFL for the same reason. I'd be fine with Scharping as a mid-round selection.

I do not get to caught up in what conference players played in. I believe there are indicators if they are a good football player or not and I feel like when you watch Scharping you can check most of the boxes that you want checked. I would question him playing LT at the NFL level. I think he could if he can continue to develop his game but I would have no reservations with having him at RT as soon as possible.

The questions I have heard in regard to Jonah Williams at OT in the NFL have more to do with his overall frame rather than just his arm length and or wingspan.
Reply/Quote