Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Final WR's
(06-08-2019, 03:51 PM)BengalChris Wrote: 4. Ross has really good numbers in the redzone and really bad number outside of it. To have to throw to him 8.47 times to get a 1st down out of him means why bother. This area of his game is one he should be working on improving every day from here on out. And just to repeat, he had the same QBs that Boyd, Erickson, Core, Tate and Malone had all season, so just realize that when you hear it was QB competence that cause Ross to have a poor catch % that you are being fed BS.

Nice post.

Longer pass plays have lower percentages. What did Ross' numbers look like as far as air yards?

A lot of room for improvement. Ross is a hell of a lot better than that 8.47 targets to get a 1st down stat. That is guaranteed to get better. 
Reply/Quote
WR is one of the hardest roster spots to call this year. What if we only keep 5? We could go deep at TE. Eifert, Uzi, Sample, Carter (Nebraska), Shrek, Franks, Boehringer...

AJ, Boyd, Erickson, and Ross are locks. I think Auden Tate's rare size and ability to win contested throws is a nice weapon to have. I hope he is a lock.

Mr Anderson will probably start the year on PUP and Redmond is suspended so that opens us up a little at the very beginning. So we will probably start the year with 6 WRs. Morgan seems like the obvious choice. But it really should be a guy with a little NFL experience. Thats why I think it could be the one no one was thinking about a couple weeks ago. Sharp.

Hell I consider myself an avid Bengals fan and out of everyone on the roster I probably knew the least about Hunter Sharp until the Bengals.com story. He is one of those guys that has been scraping and sticking around at the back end of rosters. We are his 5th team and he is only 25. I can see how that can be bad, but it could also be good the young guy seeing a bunch of different NFL locker rooms and what it takes to succeed. He has real NFL game experience. And has special teams value.
Reply/Quote
(06-08-2019, 03:51 PM)BengalChris Wrote: Since every WR (except for Green) had the same QBs for the season you can erase QB incompetence from the stats above. They all had to deal with the same QBs. 

That's not entirely true. Some of these guys only got their increased chances after Green was out, which coincided with Dalton being out.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(06-08-2019, 02:50 PM)impactplaya Wrote: Erickson. he can return kicks and he would make a good possesion WR

Tate. He's not a burner but he has a huge frame and he did play special teams last year.

Morgan. He gives them a thicker bodied run after catch element.
his film shows he has a extra gear.great upside.
if your the 1st WR ever at Nebraska to get 1,000 that speaks volumes

PS Willis
Sharp

cut Core Malone Whitfield

Agreed on Erickson.  He is a lock in my book.  

Tate is an interesting question.  Does ZT see him as a receiver?  Would they really take Ross, Boyd, or AJ off the field in the Red Zone in favor of him?  What if he is used as a move TE?  I think that he could play the Eifert role and just always be lined up outside.  I love the matchups his length can create not only in the red zone, but any time you need six yards.  

I really like Stanley Morgan as he reminds me a bit of a Houshmanzadeh.  Not a burner, but very good routes and great hands.  I think based on his rookie contract he will have a chance to stick over Core and Malone.  
Reply/Quote
(06-08-2019, 08:31 PM)BengalChris Wrote: Last year we were hoping that Ross would take pressure off AJ and open the offense, but it didn't work out that way and he didn't put up good numbers even when he was out there in the WR1 role. Lazor did, however, figure a way to get Ross involved in the redzone, which I believe surprised pretty much everyone.

So his game did improve from awful to he has a role. Maybe he can take another step forward.

Every thread turns into one more bash John Ross thread.  It got beyond old a long time go.
“Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I’m not sure about the universe.” ― Albert Einstein

http://www.reverbnation.com/leftyohio  singersongwriterrocknroll

Reply/Quote
(06-09-2019, 01:11 AM)NATI BENGALS Wrote: Nice post.

Longer pass plays have lower percentages. What did Ross' numbers look like as far as air yards?

A lot of room for improvement. Ross is a hell of a lot better than that 8.47 targets to get a 1st down stat. That is guaranteed to get better. 

There is a stat called Average Targeted Air Yards (TAY).

Here's the highest TAY along with their Catch % from the highest down to John Ross.

Robert Foster (BUF) 20.6 TAY 60.47 catch %
DeSean Jackson (TB) 19.1 TAY 55.41%
Robby Anderson (NYJ) 16.5 TAY 53.19%
Kenny Stills (MIA) 16.4 TAY 57.81%
David Moore (SEA) 16.4 TAY 49.06%
John Brown (BAL) 16.4 TAY 43.3%
Kelvin Benjamin (KC) 15.9 TAY 37.31%
Mike Evans (TB) 15.7 TAY 62.32%
Marvin Jones (DET) 15.2 TAY 56.45%
Mike Williams (LAC) 15.2 TAY 65.15%
Tyreek Hill (KC) 14.8 TAY 63.5%
Will Fuller (HOU) 14.6 TAY 71.11%
Courtland Sutton (DEN) 14.4 TAY 50.0%
Josh Doctson (WAS) 14.3 TAY 56.41%
Marquise Goodwin (SF) 14.2 TAY 52.27%
Julio Jones (ATL) 14 TAY 66.47%
Josh Gordon (NE) 14 TAY 57.75%
Michael Gallop (DAL) 14 TAY 48.53%
John Ross (CIN) 14 TAY 36.21%

Here's TAY for the Bengals receivers
John Ross 14 TAY 36.21%
AJ Green 12.7 TAY 59.74%
Alex Erickson 10.2 TAY 69.0%
Tyler Boyd 9.4 TAY 70.37%

There's not all that much of a difference between 12.7 yards and 14 yards.

Improvements in Ross' route running will help his catch % and we'll get more out of him between the 20s.

Reply/Quote
(06-09-2019, 10:47 AM)McC Wrote: Every thread turns into one more bash John Ross thread.  It got beyond old a long time go.

I don't see the bashing you are referring to. These are just the statistics of our receivers. No one was even singled out any more than anyone else.

I'm sorry if the statistics don't shine a beloving light on John Ross, but there really is only one person in the universe who can change that, and that is John Ross.

Malone and Tate show up even worse in the stats but you don't say I'm bashing them. Why?

Reply/Quote
(06-08-2019, 10:38 AM)bengalfan74 Wrote: It's early I know, still need to see TC and preseason games. But who you think makes the final cut ? Usually 6 make the 53 and then probably at least 1 on the PS.

We know the locks: AJ, Boyd, and Ross. Who are the final 3 and PS ?

Ventell Bryant - R
Cody Core - 4
Alex Erickson - 4
Josh Malone - 3
Stanley Morgan - R
Hunter Sharp - 1
Auden Tate - 2
Kermit Whitfield - 1
Damion Willis - R

I'd say there's a real good chance Alex Erickson makes it, I'm not sure I'd call him a lock ?

I've always thought Josh Malone was gonna develop into a good 4th WR but thus far he's not really produced.

Of course ST always figures into final couple guys.

Who's your final 3 to make the cut ? Who makes the PS ?
You can virtually pencil Erickson in with Green, Boyd, and Ross. All the guys does is catch the ball whenever it is thrown to him...especially when we need to convert a third down...couple that with his return duties and yeah you have a lock.

After that I think you are looking at Josh Malone and Stanley Morgan.
Reply/Quote
(06-09-2019, 08:11 AM)hollodero Wrote: That's not entirely true. Some of these guys only got their increased chances after Green was out, which coincided with Dalton being out.

I believe you are correct for the lessor guys, particularly Tate who came off the practice squad at some point.

But certainly Boyd and Ross got a lot targets when playing with Dalton even when AJ was on the field.

Reply/Quote
Green can't see himself leaving Cincinnati. Hope for the best.

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000001033160/article/aj-green-cant-see-himself-leaving-cincinnati-bengals
Reply/Quote
I think Erickson may not as safe as folks assume. We may ask Ross to do more in the return game.
[Image: bfine-guns2.png]

Reply/Quote
(06-09-2019, 03:56 PM)Destro Wrote: Green can't see himself leaving Cincinnati. Hope for the best.

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000001033160/article/aj-green-cant-see-himself-leaving-cincinnati-bengals

PROS: He isn't leaving Cincinnati,

CONS: He says he wants to play a few more years but, 'we'll see'...  not much faith in that toe?
Reply/Quote
(06-09-2019, 04:45 PM)bfine32 Wrote: I think Erickson may not as safe as folks assume. We may ask Ross to do more in the return game.

I disagree... Erickson has proven himself as a returner.
Reply/Quote
(06-08-2019, 10:38 AM)bengalfan74 Wrote: It's early I know, still need to see TC and preseason games. But who you think makes the final cut ? Usually 6 make the 53 and then probably at least 1 on the PS.

We know the locks: AJ, Boyd, and Ross. Who are the final 3 and PS ?

Ventell Bryant - R
Cody Core - 4
Alex Erickson - 4
Josh Malone - 3
Stanley Morgan - R
Hunter Sharp - 1
Auden Tate - 2
Kermit Whitfield - 1
Damion Willis - R

I'd say there's a real good chance Alex Erickson makes it, I'm not sure I'd call him a lock ?

I've always thought Josh Malone was gonna develop into a good 4th WR but thus far he's not really produced.

Of course ST always figures into final couple guys.

Who's your final 3 to make the cut ? Who makes the PS ?

ill Say Erikson  for STs and slot.
Core for ST's
And
Stanley Morgan  makes the roster
Reply/Quote
Erickson cut? Seriously? The ONLY way he gets cut is if it comes to light he raped and beat some poor woman behind the stadium between downs..I don't anticipate that happening, but you never know..
Hunter Sharp may or may not have a chance. Morgan seems like he might surprise..
Of the list of the final 3 between the 9 I don't see really any locks.. I'm definitely not sold on Tate like some are..
In the immortal words of my old man, "Wait'll you get to be my age!"

Chicago sounds rough to the maker of verse, but the one comfort we have is Cincinnati sounds worse. ~Oliver Wendal Holmes Sr.

Reply/Quote
(06-10-2019, 01:42 PM)grampahol Wrote: Erickson cut? Seriously? The ONLY way he gets cut is if it comes to light he raped and beat some poor woman behind the stadium between downs..I don't anticipate that happening, but you never know..
Hunter Sharp may or may not have a chance. Morgan seems like he might surprise..
Of the list of the final 3 between the 9 I don't see really any locks.. I'm definitely not sold on Tate like some are..

I'm sold on tate being a PS level player....
Reply/Quote
I wouldn't be surprised with the following:
Green
Boyd
Ross
Erickson (as the returner)
Tate
Morgan
Zac Taylor 2019-2020: 6 total wins
Zac Taylor 2021-2022: Double-digit wins each season, plus 5 postseason wins
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

Reply/Quote
If i had to choose only 3 not counting PS it’d be Erickson, Morgan, Tate
Who Dey!!!

Reply/Quote
(06-09-2019, 04:45 PM)bfine32 Wrote: I think Erickson may not as safe as folks assume. We may ask Ross to do more in the return game.

If anyone gets more work in the return game it should be Phillips. The kid was absolutely electric as a returner in college. Looked completely natural in the role.
Reply/Quote
Core might actually have to earn his job this year.he wont have it handed to it anymore
Reply/Quote