Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Finally! Some Real Tackling!
Overall tackling was better.

But there were a bunch of broken tackles on Jefferson on the long play that set up the Vikes last td.
Reply/Quote
(09-12-2021, 10:02 PM)Whatever Wrote: Not to mention the guy is a backup.  If he never got beat, never took penalties, and never missed tackles, he'd be making $15+ mil a year.

Thing is he got a free pass on this roster doing exactly that with other teams.  At least Phillips gets beat but will get interceptions  apple just gets beat.

Apple should be practice squad at best.  Use only incase of emergency.  He makes L. Simms look like revis.
Actually shouldn't even be PS, should be on the "on call " list. They will call when they need him. "Don't call us, will call you" type deal

Let's hope the bears aren't smart enough to target him. Not sure why the Vikings didn't do it more after they abused him on they first scoring drive.
Reply/Quote
(09-13-2021, 04:13 PM)Amalone002 Wrote: Thing is he got a free pass on this roster doing exactly that with other teams.  At least Phillips gets beat but will get interceptions  apple just gets beat.

Apple should be practice squad at best.  Use only incase of emergency.  He makes L. Simms look like revis.
Actually shouldn't even be PS, should be on the "on call " list. They will call when they need him.  "Don't call us, will call you" type deal

Let's hope the bears aren't smart enough to target him.  Not sure why the Vikings didn't do it more after they abused him on they first scoring drive.

Dalton will be targeting apple.... literally.  

But lets not say Apple is worse than Simms, my gosh that's too much.  If Apple were that bad, we didn't win that game.  I did see some plays where Apple slipped and couldn't catch back up.  I've seen Revis do that, too.  I also know that in no way does that make Apple within the same realm of good as Revis was.  

It's been mentioned already who knows how many times, but those receivers in Minnesota are pretty danged good.  I think Apple held up perfectly fine all things considered.  Corners are always under a microscope, so I'm not surprised by some of the hate, but this take was a bit too hot imo.  
Reply/Quote
(09-13-2021, 04:13 PM)Amalone002 Wrote: Thing is he got a free pass on this roster doing exactly that with other teams.  

Except he didn't do that with other teams.

The '18-'19 Saints went 26-6 with Apple starting for them.  But you are saying he should not even make our active roster?

For some reason a lot of people seem to hate Apple for no good reason.  I am not saying he is a great player, but a lot of people act like he never never saw the field before he came here.
Reply/Quote
(09-13-2021, 05:08 PM)fredtoast Wrote: Except he didn't do that with other teams.

The '18-'19 Saints went 26-6 with Apple starting for them.  But you are saying he should not even make our active roster?

For some reason a lot of people seem to hate Apple for no good reason.  I am not saying he is a great player, but a lot of people act like he never never saw the field before he came here.
Lol what does overall record have to do with it. Saints offense was great and their D im sure they called plays to hide him and had help. We won yesterday,  doesn't mean Apple was good. Was clearly the weakest link. 

#35 was getting targeted on the bucs vs cowboys he was trash they kept going at him. But other parts of the bucs D and they offense played well and won. 

1. Give me Phillips over apple everyday. Hell try the mcloud guy we got recently.  Can't be any worse
Reply/Quote
(09-12-2021, 09:59 PM)Murdock2420 Wrote: Outside of that one missed tackle and the penalty in the endzone, what else did he do in the game? Corners get beat, and a lot of them aren't good tacklers. If it was 1st and 10 and he misses that tackle, we probably aren't talking about it as much, but due to when it happened, it is magnified.

I still don't like to see a missed tackle like that, but overall the team tackling certainly was much better then we saw last year.

Exactly.  I also think that hold was pretty ticky-tack, as I saw a lot of Raven DBs do much worse than that last night.  

Apple isn't Owuzie, or even Waynes, at just $1.2 million for the season, but he is available and didn't give up anything (really) down the field which is what I am sure he was coached as the top priority. 

It was really too bad about that play call (whether you disagree with the idea of going with it or not), but had they punted and then got the ball back without giving up a score, or simply converted that 4th down play, the defense would have been able to play REALLY aggressive and tee-off on pass rushing without much regard to the running game.  

That is a QB nightmare, and we have seen it happen the other way around too many time.  
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
All this Apple hate. He got beat a couple of times. You know how many times WJIII got beat? They all get beat occasionally, because WR's make plays too. Plus, he hasn't played in a while. He can get us through the next game or two, and if he really struggles he an be replaced. He played about like I expected him to yesterday. And no, whoever compared him to LaShaun Sims must be high.
Reply/Quote
(09-14-2021, 09:21 AM)Sled21 Wrote: All this Apple hate. He got beat a couple of times. You know how many times WJIII got beat? They all get beat occasionally, because WR's make plays too. Plus, he hasn't played in a while. He can get us through the next game or two, and if he really struggles he an be replaced. He played about like I expected him to yesterday. And no, whoever compared him to LaShaun Sims must be high.

Old stone hands did actually pick off Herbert on Sunday though.

Reply/Quote
(09-12-2021, 09:19 PM)Fan_in_Kettering Wrote: Mad props to Lou Anarumo and the Cincinnati defense!

The tackling was absolutely stunning today: Physical, certain, and confident.  I didn’t see anyone try to tackle by tripping, shouldering, or grabbing the ankles.  I saw impact aimed at the center of mass, wrapping up, and driving the ball carrier to the ground — and often backwards.  

Physical defense wins games late in the game and late in the season.

The linebacker play was vastly improved by several orders of magnitude.  Germaine Pratt is going to be solid.  They did much better moving laterally and shutting down the Vikings when they had to.

Now were the linebackers and secondary out of position a lot today? Oh yes.  They most definitely were.  However, scheme and execution are more easily fixed than bad tackling fundamentals.  Lou will fix this issue.

The backers looked better because the d line played lights out. Blockers couldn't get to them.

"Better send those refunds..."

Reply/Quote