Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Finally some life showing in Dennard.
During camp yesterday seems Dennard was making some plays including a diving interception of A.J. McCarron.

"Another guy McCarron likes is Dennard and confirms he’s also having a nice camp. But he was on the other end of this play when Dennard outfoxed rookie wide receiver Karel Hamilton. Dennard was running with Hamilton step for step to the sideline when Hamilton stopped the route. Dennard kept running the route and made a diving interception."

http://www.bengals.com/news/article-1/Camp-report-Defense-dominates-McCarron-paints-red-zone-Iloka-works/b570c2c9-a96d-444d-97ec-3ff45ed97341

Would be nice to see the light finally come on for Dennard and for him to stay healthy. Dre, Dennard, and WJ3 along with Shaw could make for a nice secondary going forward and allow the team to finally part ways with Jones.

[Image: bengals08-1-800small.jpg]

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(08-16-2017, 02:02 PM)Murdock2420 Wrote: During camp yesterday seems Dennard was making some plays including a diving interception of A.J. McCarron.

"Another guy McCarron likes is Dennard and confirms he’s also having a nice camp. But he was on the other end of this play when Dennard outfoxed rookie wide receiver Karel Hamilton. Dennard was running with Hamilton step for step to the sideline when Hamilton stopped the route. Dennard kept running the route and made a diving interception."

http://www.bengals.com/news/article-1/Camp-report-Defense-dominates-McCarron-paints-red-zone-Iloka-works/b570c2c9-a96d-444d-97ec-3ff45ed97341

Would be nice to see the light finally come on for Dennard and for him to stay healthy. Dre, Dennard, and WJ3 along with Shaw could make for a nice secondary going forward and allow the team to finally part ways with Jones.

[Image: Even_a_blind_squirrel_finds_an_acorn_som...6z86-d.jpg]
Zac Taylor 2019-2020: 6 total wins
Zac Taylor 2021-2022: Double-digit wins each season, plus 5 postseason wins
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

Reply/Quote
(08-16-2017, 02:12 PM)ochocincos Wrote: [Image: Even_a_blind_squirrel_finds_an_acorn_som...6z86-d.jpg]

Hilarious

I'm trying to keep positive about him and the future of our secondary.....trying anyways.

[Image: bengals08-1-800small.jpg]

Reply/Quote
(08-16-2017, 02:19 PM)Murdock2420 Wrote: Hilarious

I'm trying to keep positive about him and the future of our secondary.....trying anyways.

I don't actually think he's that bad, but I just couldn't help myself on the pic.
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

Reply/Quote
He's got to show just enough life for the Bengals to keep him with that 5th year option, but not enough to be good. Then he'll play okay in 2018, so he can get paid in FA. That's apparently how Bengals 1st rounders are working now.

[Image: jamarr-chase.gif]
Reply/Quote
(08-16-2017, 03:40 PM)TheLeonardLeap Wrote: He's got to show just enough life for the Bengals to keep him with that 5th year option, but not enough to be good. Then he'll play okay in 2018, so he can get paid in FA from another team. That's apparently how Bengals 1st rounders are working now.

Fix in bold for those that needed the clarification.
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

Reply/Quote
(08-16-2017, 02:12 PM)ochocincos Wrote: [Image: Even_a_blind_squirrel_finds_an_acorn_som...6z86-d.jpg]

I don't know why I found this so funny...
Reply/Quote
Not too optimistic about Dennard, but it's looking like they're going with him in the slot anyway.
Reply/Quote
Have always liked Dennard even though others have not.

But thought he played bad in preseason game.

Hope he does breakout. We need him.

The water tastes funny when you're far from your home,
yet it's only the thirsty that hunger to roam. 
          Roam the Jungle !
Reply/Quote
I have always rooted for Dennard......I remember another Big 10 CB Leon Hall who worked out pretty well down here in the Buckeye State
Reply/Quote
So Dennard beating a guy nobody has ever heard from on a blown play is him showing signs of life? Is this a joke?
Reply/Quote
he is finally having a healthy off and preseason... hopefully he can stay healthy and contribute
Reply/Quote
(08-16-2017, 11:45 PM)TheUberHuber Wrote: So Dennard beating a guy nobody has ever heard from on a blown play is him showing signs of life? Is this a joke?

Kind of what I was thinking.  Now, if I read that he's jumping the route on AJ Green, my head will snap to find the video proof..

Volson is meh, but I like him, and he has far exceeded my expectations

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
Dennards career looks alot like Dre K. Message board whopping boy. Hes never really been healthy and hasnt really gotten his shot, much like Dre K early in his career. I still have faith in Dennard. Think hes gonna open alot of eyes this year if he can finally stay healthy.
Reply/Quote
(08-17-2017, 12:25 AM)mikey6866 Wrote: Dennards career looks alot like Dre K.  Message board whopping boy.  Hes never really been healthy and hasnt really gotten his shot, much like Dre K early in his career.  I still have faith in Dennard.  Think hes gonna open alot of eyes this year if he can finally stay healthy.

Naw, Dre K was making big plays back in 2014.  He has since developed into a regular.  Dennard, on the other hand, has never really amounted to much.  However, it may not be all his fault.  Aside from the injuries, he's been miscast in the slot role, when he exclusively played boundary corner in college.

Volson is meh, but I like him, and he has far exceeded my expectations

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
(08-17-2017, 12:31 AM)SunsetBengal Wrote: Naw, Dre K was making big plays back in 2014.  He has since developed into a regular.  Dennard, on the other hand, has never really amounted to much.  However, it may not be all his fault.  Aside from the injuries, he's been miscast in the slot role, when he exclusively played boundary corner in college.

He had the one game against the broncos that year but people were dogging him all year on the message boards and didnt start but a couple games late in the year that year.  He didnt really become a starter until 2015.  Either way both him and Dennard were hampered by injuries their 1st couple of years and didnt get a bunch of playing time.  Both have been dogged on message boards for multiple years with inability to get on field more.  I think both will end up being solid starters.
Reply/Quote
(08-17-2017, 12:25 AM)mikey6866 Wrote: Dennards career looks alot like Dre K.  Message board whopping boy.  Hes never really been healthy and hasnt really gotten his shot, much like Dre K early in his career.  I still have faith in Dennard.  Think hes gonna open alot of eyes this year if he can finally stay healthy.

Dennard has never played less than 10 games in a season. He's played 14, 10, and 15 games in his career. He's been healthy enough, and he got a shot... he just blew it by not being good and losing out on the job against Josh Shaw, a 4th rounder who has a year less experience than him.

Here is a stat for you. Dennard played 30.7% of the defensive snaps last year. If you play nearly 1/3rd of all the defensive snaps, and people still believe you haven't gotten a shot, you probably just suck.

Dude is a first round pick and "the best rookie CB I have ever seen" according to Marvin Lewis, but got passed by Shaw on the depth chart.

I will agree with you that Dennard's career is a lot like Kirkpatrick's. They were both busts as first round picks.

Reply/Quote
(08-17-2017, 01:34 AM)TheLeonardLeap Wrote: Dennard has never played less than 10 games in a season. He's played 14, 10, and 15 games in his career. He's been healthy enough, and he got a shot... he just blew it by not being good and losing out on the job against Josh Shaw, a 4th rounder who has a year less experience than him.

Here is a stat for you. Dennard played 30.7% of the defensive snaps last year. If you play nearly 1/3rd of all the defensive snaps, and people still believe you haven't gotten a shot, you probably just suck.

Dude is a first round pick and "the best rookie CB I have ever seen" according to Marvin Lewis, but got passed by Shaw on the depth chart.

I will agree with you that Dennard's career is a lot like Kirkpatrick's. They were both busts as first round picks.

Youre obviously sour on both players but to call dre k a bust is a pretty big stretch.  Hes turned into a really solid starter.  He may not be a superstar right now but hes a pretty good corner with room to get better.
Reply/Quote
(08-17-2017, 02:50 AM)mikey6866 Wrote: Youre obviously sour on both players but to call dre k a bust is a pretty big stretch.  Hes turned into a really solid starter.  He may not be a superstar right now but hes a pretty good corner with room to get better.

I said they're both busts *as first round picks*.

Nobody uses first round picks to get "solid starters" 5 years later. If Kirkpatrick was a 4th or 5th round pick, he would have been a great pick. He wasn't. He was the 17th overall pick in the draft, and it took him 5 years to become a solid starter. That's a bust. The same way that a guy who is taken in the 7th round and does nothing but be a decent special teamer for 3-4 years before exiting the league is not a bust, because that's a good return on a 7th round pick.

That's not to say Kirkpatrick can't have a good career as a decent starter from now on. It just means when we look back on the draft history, it was a bad decision to use the 17th overall pick on him because 1st round picks need to be stars, not take 5 years to become solid starters.

Granted, Dennard might be a bust regardless of 1st, 2nd, or 3rd round status. He's shown less in his first three years than Kirkpatrick did.

Reply/Quote
(08-17-2017, 03:02 AM)TheLeonardLeap Wrote: I said they're both busts *as first round picks*.

Nobody uses first round picks to get "solid starters" 5 years later. If Kirkpatrick was a 4th or 5th round pick, he would have been a great pick. He wasn't. He was the 17th overall pick in the draft, and it took him 5 years to become a solid starter. That's a bust. The same way that a guy who is taken in the 7th round and does nothing but be a decent special teamer for 3-4 years before exiting the league is not a bust, because that's a good return on a 7th round pick.

That's not to say Kirkpatrick can't have a good career as a decent starter from now on. It just means when we look back on the draft history, it was a bad decision to use the 17th overall pick on him because 1st round picks need to be stars, not take 5 years to become solid starters.

Granted, Dennard might be a bust regardless of 1st, 2nd, or 3rd round status. He's shown less in his first three years than Kirkpatrick did.

That's not true at all. 1st round picks are picked to be improvements and help better your team.

Since 2012's Draft Class, there has been 44 Pro-Bowl players drafted in the 1st round.

That's 44 players out of 159 players (NE lost their 1st round pick in 2016).
Which includes: RGIII, Cordarelle Patterson, Todd Gurley, and Eric Reid

Teams know they aren't going to get amazing players all the time. Sometimes they fill needs and what works best for their system rather than best player overall. That's why there's players that haven't been voted to the Pro Bowl or All-Pro that are still being productive.

IE: Tannehill, Zeitler, Cooks, Matthews, and Mariota.

I'm not saying there won't be stars in the 1st, because clearly they are. But teams go into the draft knowing the 1st round isn't fully of All-Pro studs. Teams do use 1st round picks for solid starters because it's better to have a solid player than a hole on your team.

Nothing is certain in the NFL.
Check out my YouTube channel: https://www.youtube.com/user/AndWeGiveUp

[Image: Mx7IB2.png]
Reply/Quote