Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Finding a Franchise QB
So...it looks like we're going down the path of finding a franchise QB.

This is a daunting patch. Even with the top pick, it's far from a guarantee.

One of the hallmarks of the 90's was poor QB play.

We're moving on from above average Andy...and diving into the unknown.

Chances are, Finley won't be that guy. But we have to try. Let's just hope that we find a QB sooner rather than later.

To be a really bad team, you generally need a bad QB. We're diving into the unknown waters of finding a QB. Then once we land one...the same staff that basically made nearly every player on the roster regress will be coaching them.
Reply/Quote
(10-30-2019, 01:54 PM)THE PISTONS Wrote: So...it looks like we're going down the path of finding a franchise QB.

Chances are, Finley won't be that guy. But we have to try. Let's just hope that we find a QB sooner rather than later.

To be a really bad team, you generally need a bad QB. We're diving into the unknown waters of finding a QB. Then once we land one...the same staff that basically made nearly every player on the roster regress will be coaching them.

Unless Finley leads us to an 8-8 record, I think we're drafting a QB in the first round this upcoming draft no matter what. What better and easier way to get fans to flock to games again than by drafting the next great QB! Right, Mike?  Whatever
[Image: giphy.gif]
Reply/Quote
Mike Brown will draft Tua Tagovailoa or Jalen Hurts. They’ll play behind the same awful offensive line and they’ll look like a bust. This is “Draft Day” and Mike Brown wants Bo Callahan.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
How can we draft a franchise QB when Tobin had
2 fall in his lap ?
Reply/Quote
Either fix the line first or get a mobile QB while you fix the line over time.
Reply/Quote
(10-30-2019, 02:11 PM)treee Wrote: Either fix the line first or get a mobile QB while you fix the line over time.

I’m not against getting a mobile quarterback but that doesn’t help Joe Mixon and the run game at all. It’s passing the buck.
Reply/Quote
(10-30-2019, 02:13 PM)Fan_in_Kettering Wrote: I’m not against getting a mobile quarterback but that doesn’t help Joe Mixon and the run game at all.  It’s passing the buck.

It can help the run game. It opens up the option which is 1 less defender the RB (or QB) have to deal with.

It can slow down the pass rush because it reduces the number of stunts you can run (go ahead and do a DE-DT twist, now it's a 4.5 guy vs a 4.8+ in a race to the sideline).

It can help open lanes in the middle of the field if the defense has to resort to a spy with their LB or S.

A mobile QB actually does so much for you. And they most definitely can mask poor o-line play to a degree.
Reply/Quote
Better question, will the next franchise QB actually win a playoff game under MB and/or leave on good terms when his time is up? We're at 0-3 now. I will say the idea of having a QB with the name HURTS on his back would be beyond fitting.
Reply/Quote
(10-30-2019, 02:18 PM)treee Wrote: It can help the run game. It opens up the option which is 1 less defender the RB (or QB) have to deal with.

It can slow down the pass rush because it reduces the number of stunts you can run (go ahead and do a DE-DT twist, now it's a 4.5 guy vs a 4.8+ in a race to the sideline).

It can help open lanes in the middle of the field if the defense has to resort to a spy with their LB or S.

A mobile QB actually does so much for you. And they most definitely can mask poor o-line play to a degree.
Mobile QB force players out of their gap responsibities.
And it never hurts to buy a extra few seconds with your feet 
Reply/Quote
I'm in the camp that this isn't a one year rebuild and to take Chase Young and then go O line in the second.
Reply/Quote
(10-30-2019, 02:30 PM)Au165 Wrote: I'm in the camp that this isn't a one year rebuild and to take Chase Young and then go O line in the second.

Have to disagree with you on who to take.

I agree that this isn't a one year rebuild, however I wouldn't take Chase Young.  Give me Andrew Thomas from Georgia.  I don't care if we have the #1 overall pick, take the OT that can play LT or RT to pair with your current OT that can play LT or RT.
Reply/Quote
(10-30-2019, 02:24 PM)impactplaya Wrote: Mobile QB force players out of their gap responsibities.
And it never hurts to buy a extra few seconds with your feet 

They also get hurt when they don't realize that the defenders in the NFL are faster than they are in college and they hit harder.
Reply/Quote
(10-30-2019, 01:54 PM)THE PISTONS Wrote: So...it looks like we're going down the path of finding a franchise QB.

The Bengals missed on the opportunity to get a franchise QB (to succeed Dalton) when they passed on Deshaun Watson, Mahomes, and Lamar Jackson. 
[Image: Screenshot-2022-02-02-154836.png]
The boys are just talkin' ball, babyyyy
Reply/Quote
Don't be surprised if Taylor brings in Tannehill. They love ex-Bills, Dolphins, and Giants.
Reply/Quote
(10-30-2019, 02:36 PM)OswaldsLegacy Wrote: Have to disagree with you on who to take.

I agree that this isn't a one year rebuild, however I wouldn't take Chase Young.  Give me Andrew Thomas from Georgia.  I don't care if we have the #1 overall pick, take the OT that can play LT or RT to pair with your current OT that can play LT or RT.

The bust rate on top pass rushers in the last 10 years has been very low. Bust rates on tackles in the last 10 years have been really high just based on how colleges are training linemen now. If you have the 1st overall pick you CAN NOT MISS. Not only is Chase Young the safest pick he is the best player in the draft. 
Reply/Quote
(10-30-2019, 02:58 PM)Au165 Wrote: The bust rate on top pass rushers in the last 10 years has been very low. Bust rates on tackles in the last 10 years have been really high just based on how colleges are training linemen now. If you have the 1st overall pick you CAN NOT MISS. Not only is Chase Young the safest pick he is the best player in the draft. 

I disagree on Young being the "best" player and being the "safest" pick.

As to missing on OLine.  You can miss on pass rushers as well.  Clowney is the one that comes immediately to mind.  Charles Harris in Miami hasn't been overly great either.  Some of those "Power Rangers" from Clemson haven't been wowing in the NFL.  Bradley Chubb was called "unblockable" by Mike Mayock, he has been blocked a lot even with some guy named Vonn Miller on the other side of him.

Blame it on my philosophy though.  I would rather spend more time and effort building up the OLine (to the point of taking OT, OG and OC, 1,2,3 in this year's draft) than DLine.  You can't win with a terrible OLine but you can win with terrible DLine.  I don't mean this to be that the DLine isn't important.  Just that a stout OLine is more important than a stout DLine.
Reply/Quote
(10-30-2019, 02:58 PM)THE PISTONS Wrote: Don't be surprised if Taylor brings in Tannehill. They love ex-Bills, Dolphins, and Giants.

True, I could see any backup spot-starter QB ZT has coached being brought in as the next bridge QB.  Tannehill and Matt Moore are currently building their stock, though.
Reply/Quote
(10-30-2019, 02:38 PM)OswaldsLegacy Wrote: They also get hurt when they don't realize that the defenders in the NFL are faster than they are in college and they hit harder.

That's why they're teaching them to slide 99% of the time now (look at how quickly Newton is losing overall durability due to the sheer number of hits).
Reply/Quote
The only Franchise QB potential I see in 2020 is Burrow and maybe Hurts.

I think Eason will be a stud but needs time, and Tua can be very good because he has many qualities of the "NEW" bread of QB.

Herbert and Eason have the best pure arms and that cannot be coached or taught.
[Image: maXCb2f.jpg]
-Paul Brown
“When you win, say nothing. When you lose, say less.”

My album "Dragon"
https://www.humbert-lardinois.com/

Reply/Quote
(10-30-2019, 03:40 PM)treee Wrote: That's why they're teaching them to slide 99% of the time now (look at how quickly Newton is losing overall durability due to the sheer number of hits).

Even sliding puts your QB and thus franchise at risk.  I would hate for us to have a repeat of 2015, have a QB that is tearing it up all season long.  Only to get injured (the mobile QB's case it would be more serious and more possible) part way through the season or at the end of it, only to have to throw in our back up and pray that he can get the job done.  It would suck to be 1 and done in the playoffs again just because our QB couldn't make it through a season.
Reply/Quote