Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Finding a cell number
My Daughter has been getting some text messages from a number she doesnt know. She is currently in court proceedings and the person on the other end appears to be trying to help her out with information. However, every time she asks "who is this" they don't answer the question and continue on as if it was not asked. They have also sent court screenshots of the current case. My daughter thinks its someone trying to help her but cannot be identified because if they were identified could jeopardize their job or something.

Dad says, "Not so fast!" I hate it when gullible trusting young minds jump on the trust ship too fast. So, I have tried to loacate the owner of the number through google, MSN, yahoo, indeed, monster.com etc. No luck (not sure I could locate on indeed or monster anyway but was worth a try). I've looked at article which basically say to do this and if no luck you can pay to have it located but in most cases the results turn up nothing more that what you would get from an ordinary search.

So, anyone have any clever ways I can locate the owner of the number and put a name to it? At least that way, If it turns up someone we know, we can trust that the advice is either legit or misleading. If not, I can teach her a lesson about trusting questionable sources.

I do get general area of the phone. But that doesn't mean that's where the person lives.

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
Might wanna consult with a lawyer on this one and make sure that you receiving that info doesn't put you in hot water. You might be obligated to report it depending on what kind of court proceedings they are and what the information actually is. Just trying to keep a look out for ya brother.
Reply/Quote
Do you know anyone that works at the NSA?
“Don't give up. Don't ever give up.” - Jimmy V

Reply/Quote
Just send a text saying "I can't trust this info if I don't know who you are"

Unless it is juvenile court or an order of protection most court proceedings and documents are public record.
Reply/Quote
(05-30-2018, 04:44 PM)treee Wrote: Might wanna consult with a lawyer on this one and make sure that you receiving that info doesn't put you in hot water. You might be obligated to report it depending on what kind of court proceedings they are and what the information actually is. Just trying to keep a look out for ya brother.

It’s not criminal, just child support hearing.

(05-30-2018, 05:01 PM)Millhouse Wrote: Do you know anyone that works at the NSA?

No. LOL

(05-30-2018, 05:37 PM)fredtoast Wrote: Just send a text saying "I can't trust this info if I don't know who you are"

Unless it is juvenile court or an order of protection most court proceedings and documents are public record.

That’s why I have doubts. Info they are sending acting like they have inside info is public record.

Reply/Quote
(05-30-2018, 06:59 PM)HarleyDog Wrote: It’s not criminal, just child support hearing.

No. LOL

That’s why I have doubts. Info they are sending acting like they have inside info is public record.

To my way of thinking, the best information that someone could have, that would be impactful to a child support case, would be knowledge of a hidden source of revenue that was unreported by the ordered party.

Volson is meh, but I like him, and he has far exceeded my expectations

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
If it is a child support issue I suspect it may be another baby momma who has been screwed over by the guy before and wants to make sure he pays what he owes.
Reply/Quote
Harley - If it were me, I'd take fred's advice and send a text back to them.
[Image: DC42UUb.png]
Reply/Quote
(05-31-2018, 11:14 AM)Tiger Teeth Wrote: Harley - If it were me, I'd take fred's advice and send a text back to them.

My daughter has sent numorous back. Yet, they refuse to identify.

Reply/Quote
(05-31-2018, 02:57 PM)HarleyDog Wrote: My daughter has sent numorous back. Yet, they refuse to identify.

Weird situation.  
[Image: DC42UUb.png]
Reply/Quote
Maybe I'm underthinking this, but what about just calling that number from a different phone and see who answers?
Reply/Quote
(06-01-2018, 06:34 PM)hollodero Wrote: Maybe I'm underthinking this, but what about just calling that number from a different phone and see who answers?

Most folks that I know simply don't answer numbers that they don't recognize.  

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
(06-01-2018, 06:46 PM)SunsetBengal Wrote: Most folks that I know simply don't answer numbers that they don't recognize.  

Oh, I thought that was just me. Still, maybe worth a try. Maybe there's a voicemail message or something.
Reply/Quote
(06-01-2018, 06:53 PM)hollodero Wrote: Oh, I thought that was just me. Still, maybe worth a try. Maybe there's a voicemail message or something.

I thought of that already. But fear I would jeopardize the information.

Reply/Quote
Maybe we can un-block the dark web guy long enough to help me solve this? LOL

J/K

Reply/Quote
(06-01-2018, 07:36 PM)HarleyDog Wrote: Maybe we can un-block the dark web guy long enough to help me solve this? LOL

J/K

If he was truly a dark web guy, wouldn't our ban be powerless over him??   Ninja

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
(06-01-2018, 07:41 PM)SunsetBengal Wrote: If he was truly a dark web guy, wouldn't our ban be powerless over him??   Ninja

Pretty much. But I thought a funny response. You know me, funny guy.  Tongue

Reply/Quote
(06-01-2018, 07:36 PM)HarleyDog Wrote: Maybe we can un-block the dark web guy long enough to help me solve this? LOL

J/K

He'd probably just call us gay in italics and tell us how cool he is on the dark web again though.
[Image: Cz_eGI3UUAASnqC.jpg]
Reply/Quote
Why not try calling the number from your phone? Act like you misdialed and see if you can get them to say who they are. At the least you'll get a voice and maybe that'll tip you off.
[Image: 6zwk79.png]
Reply/Quote
Just get screen shots of every text this unknown person sends. If they don't want to answer their phone there really isn't much you can do. Even if you can identify them is doesn't have much impact if they won't answer. 
In the immortal words of my old man, "Wait'll you get to be my age!"

Chicago sounds rough to the maker of verse, but the one comfort we have is Cincinnati sounds worse. ~Oliver Wendal Holmes Sr.

Reply/Quote