Thread Rating:
  • 2 Vote(s) - 3 Average
Finley after the bye week?
Anyone think it is possible that Taylor wants to give Finley a shot, but is waiting until the bye week to give him 2 full weeks of prep before doing so?

I'm at the point that I really want to see what we have in Finley, especially soon. It'll give me a reason to watch the games.
[Image: giphy.gif]
Reply/Quote
(10-16-2019, 02:04 PM)PhilHos Wrote: Anyone think it is possible that Taylor wants to give Finley a shot, but is waiting until the bye week to give him 2 full weeks of prep before doing so?

I'm at the point that I really want to see what we have in Finley, especially soon. It'll give me a reason to watch the games.

I think it really depends on how the JAX and LAR games go. But if this team is winless going into the bye, I fully expect some personnel changes. Maybe it's a coach, maybe it's benching Dalton, who knows but I feel something is coming.
Zac Taylor 2019-2020: 6 total wins
Zac Taylor 2021-2022: Double-digit wins each season, plus 5 postseason wins
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
I would not put Finley behind this offensive line. Now, if Jonah Williams comes back before the season ends and they can put him at LT, and if Glenn ever plays again and they can put him at LG, then I might pull the trigger on it.
Reply/Quote
I don't think Finley could do much behind this o-line other than get broken. Dalton is a 9 year vet and he's shown regression and the seeing of "ghosts" behind this line. Plus, until further notice I'm thinking ZT and MB are thinking Dalton is our starter going forward for years to come, so benching him would be a super big no no in their minds.
Reply/Quote
I have been circling that as the date for a potential trial run. With the bye week they can add in some concepts he likes and see how it goes. While the line is trouble, I actually liked what I saw from Finley in preseason when the pocket broke down. He kept his base under him and dipped and slid more than pulling the ball down and then trying to reestablish his base to throw. At this point we need to know what we have going forward, so why not?
Reply/Quote
(10-16-2019, 02:17 PM)ochocincos Wrote: I think it really depends on how the JAX and LAR games go. But if this team is winless going into the bye, I fully expect some personnel changes. Maybe it's a coach, maybe it's benching Dalton, who knows but I feel something is coming.

I think we're locked into this meltdown ride or die.  

I hear someone, maybe Dehner make a comment yesterday that the family was exhausted by the coaching search last offseason and is not too excited to embark on a similar path this year.  that's kind of pathetic, but it's likely true.  

I hope that we get some better coordinators.  That will not happen mid season.  Zac needs a veteran presence to help him as he has both HC responsibilities and offensive play calling.  That's a lot.  He needs to be able to delegate, and he needs more capable assistants to do that.  

The only real changed I see are rookies and 2nd year guys getting heavy run to evaluate before the offseason.  Not sure if Finley figures into that or not.
Reply/Quote
(10-16-2019, 03:22 PM)samhain Wrote: I think we're locked into this meltdown ride or die.  

I hear someone, maybe Dehner make a comment yesterday that the family was exhausted by the coaching search last offseason and is not too excited to embark on a similar path this year.  that's kind of pathetic, but it's likely true.  

I hope that we get some better coordinators.  That will not happen mid season.  Zac needs a veteran presence to help him as he has both HC responsibilities and offensive play calling.  That's a lot.  He needs to be able to delegate, and he needs more capable assistants to do that.  

The only real changed I see are rookies and 2nd year guys getting heavy run to evaluate before the offseason.  Not sure if Finley figures into that or not.

You think there's a chance we could get Mike Sherman to join the staff? If so, at what position?
Reply/Quote
I think it would make sense to play Finley. That said...I doubt they do it. He's going to want to try to win as many games as he can and he'll perceive Dalton as giving him that chance.

He could be coaching for his job.
Reply/Quote
(10-16-2019, 03:10 PM)Au165 Wrote: I have been circling that as the date for a potential trial run. With the bye week they can add in some concepts he likes and see how it goes. While the line is trouble, I actually liked what I saw from Finley in preseason when the pocket broke down. He kept his base under him and dipped and slid more than pulling the ball down and then trying to reestablish his base to throw. At this point we need to know what we have going forward, so why not?

Me too....and, as someone else noted, if we're winless at that point, why not?

There have been a few successful QBs out of NCSt, why not see if we found one this year? 

I say give it a shot.

"Better send those refunds..."

Reply/Quote
That will be a glorious change but I won't get might hopes up.

We need to try something new, a spark from somewhere.

He's not going to be the savior but lets try something different!!
"We have been sentenced to life in the prison that is a Bengals fan and we are going to serve out our time"
Reply/Quote
If Finley looks like he deserves a shot then I am okay with it. If he has not done anything in practice to demonstrate that he deserves a chance then the rest of the team will give up on the season.

It never fails to amaze me how the same fans can complain about players getting snaps that don't deserve them and at the same time spin around and call for the coaches to start a guy "just because".
Reply/Quote
(10-16-2019, 03:27 PM)THE PISTONS Wrote: I think it would make sense to play Finley. That said...I doubt they do it. He's going to want to try to win as many games as he can and he'll perceive Dalton as giving him that chance.

He could be coaching for his job.

You need to give up your hope that Taylor gets fired. It just not is happening this offseason. It's not. We could be the first team to have negative wins and Taylor will still have a job next season. Short of killing someone or having sex with Katie, Taylor is getting another season.
Reply/Quote
NYG let Eli break behind a bad offensive line and now their backup is doing "well". Andy isn't breaking, the offensive line is bad but he's still "surviving" and able to walk. No way Finley can do worse than him, can he? You have to try, and separate from Andy. You get 1 win from Finley and you instantly have separation from a terrible offense that's helped record zero wins.

Maybe Marvin was right to keep Ross out all year, showed glimpses of greatness and a lot more "worse than average" play. What is Finley's purpose then if he's not going to play and we're winless? Waiting for Andy to get hurt? The season is over. Try something else, nothing has worked. It won't prove if Finley is starter material or not if he loses, because Andy is losing it up too with the same team.

Finley can run, and sure we need an offensive line, but anyone want to place bets that Lamar Jackson wouldn't be putting up more points on the Bengals team than Andy Dalton is?
Reply/Quote
Putting Finley in after the bye is the best strategy if u want to make a change in the offense. It will.also signal to other teams that Andy is on the negotiating table for a possible trade.
Reply/Quote
I'd love it if he started Saturday.

But barring injury, we're not going to see it. Of course, injury is a highly likely outcome.
If you see something suspicious, say something suspicious.

Reply/Quote
(10-16-2019, 04:08 PM)reuben.ahmed Wrote: No way Finley can do worse than him, can he?

Yes.  He can be much worse.

Perhaps you remember this old favorite....."No one could do worse than Marvin."
Reply/Quote
(10-16-2019, 04:01 PM)PhilHos Wrote: You need to give up your hope that Taylor gets fired. It just not is happening this offseason. It's not. We could be the first team to have negative wins and Taylor will still have a job next season. Short of killing someone or having sex with Katie, Taylor is getting another season.

you mean that's not how he NAILED!! the interview?
Reply/Quote
(10-16-2019, 04:42 PM)XenoMorph Wrote: you mean that's not how he NAILED!! the interview?

Dude reeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeally wanted to be a HC.  Ninja
Reply/Quote
(10-16-2019, 05:15 PM)PhilHos Wrote: Dude reeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeally wanted to be a HC.  Ninja

based on his on field resume so far im starting to wonder....    
Reply/Quote
Finley Is a much more Mobil quarterback than Dalton. I love his pocket presence and the way he moves in the pocket and the way he works the pocket.Finley plays smart football.He is quicker than Dalton,which isn’t saying much.He appears to be a much more elusive quarterback than most people realize. Would love to see him play after the bye week. Also bring Dolegala in and see what he can do before the seasons over. For sure need to find out what we have in our quarterbacks before the season ends. Dalton needs to be long gone before next season. Today’s NFL is definitely a quarterback driven league. A quarterback that can move is a plus. Finley puts me in the mind of Joe Montana when he first came into the league. When Dalton gets that I just poop my pants look on his face it’s over.
Reply/Quote