Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
First ‘Baby Box’ installed in Indiana
I'm not sure how to react.
I guess I'm glad that it will reduce deaths of unwanted newborns.
I'm also glad it's not attached to a Planned Parenthood building.
Ninja

http://wate.com/2016/05/01/first-baby-box-installed-in-indiana/

Quote:WOODBURN, Ind. (AP) — A Safe Haven Baby Box where mothers can drop off unwanted newborns anonymously with emergency help moments away is now available in northeastern Indiana.

The padded, climate-controlled container was dedicated Tuesday at the Woodburn Volunteer Fire Department about 15 miles east of Fort Wayne near the Ohio state line. It’s on an exterior wall of the fire station.
The Knights of Columbus of Indiana will pay for the first 100 baby boxes, which cost $1,500 to $2,000 each, said Monica Kelsey, a volunteer with the fire department who has been advocating for baby boxes in Indiana for several years.
A second one was dedicated Thursday in Michigan City.
The boxes are equipped with a security system that notifies emergency personnel when a baby is dropped off. Emergency responders can get to the child within minutes.
All 50 states and the District of Columbia have safe haven laws, which allow unharmed newborns to be surrendered without fear of prosecution. Indiana’s law allows mothers to drop off newborns at police stations, fire stations and hospitals.
Critics of baby boxes contend the containers make it easier to surrender a child without exploring other options and can deprive mothers of needed medical care.
Kelsey, however, said that some people want total anonymity. She spoke of a girl who called a hotline she volunteers for who wanted to know where a baby box was. The girl refused to go to a hospital or fire station to drop off the baby, but eventually, her boyfriend brought the baby to a hospital.
“This is not criminal,” Kelsey said. “This is legal. We don’t want to push women away.”
The Woodburn baby box was actually installed April 19, the anniversary of when Kelsey says her birth mother abandoned her at a hospital when she was just hours old.
State Rep. Casey Cox, R-Fort Wayne, has supported the concept of baby boxes in Indiana and has been working with lawmakers and Gov. Mike Pence’s administration on safety protocols.
I'm for anything that will reduce the number of innocent children being killed.
[Image: bfine-guns2.png]

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Agree with bfine on this, now; if they work to make adoption more of a solution and less of a complicated business, it could bring good homes to children in need of them as well as children to parents who desperately want them but can't have them for whatever reason. It also is a better alternative than young women keeping children they don't really want to draw a bigger check for having them.
I'm also in agreement with things to reduce the death of innocent children. It's why I advocate for a better sex education program, easier access to birth control and other contraceptives, and more access to reproductive health care. All things that reduce the amount of unwanted/unexpected pregnancies overall as well as abortions.

It's all about reducing the need for abortions and adoptions.
(05-03-2016, 10:39 PM)Rotobeast Wrote: I'm not sure how to react.
I guess I'm glad that it will reduce deaths of unwanted newborns.
I'm also glad it's not attached to a Planned Parenthood building.
Ninja

http://wate.com/2016/05/01/first-baby-box-installed-in-indiana/

I think this idea is great!  Should be in every community around the US.

P.S.  Please don't mock Planned Parenthood Roto.  I know how sensitive you are to this type of thing.   Cool
[Image: m6moCD1.png]

(05-04-2016, 10:04 AM)SteelCitySouth Wrote: I think this idea is great!  Should be in every community around the US.

P.S.  Please don't mock Planned Parenthood Roto.  I know how sensitive you are to this type of thing.   Cool

Well....if you wouldn't have given me that rash.
Ninja
(05-04-2016, 11:22 AM)Rotobeast Wrote: Well....if you wouldn't have given me that rash.
Ninja

Are you now mocking me?   Mellow

(05-04-2016, 11:54 AM)SteelCitySouth Wrote: Are you now mocking me?   Mellow

MOCK ... YEAH
ING ... YEAH
BIRD ... YEAH
[Image: giphy.gif]
(05-04-2016, 12:00 PM)PhilHos Wrote: MOCK ... YEAH
ING ... YEAH
BIRD ... YEAH

Way to not include anyone there....... Whatever

(05-04-2016, 12:08 PM)SteelCitySouth Wrote: Way to not include anyone there....... Whatever

Yes, it was a way to not include anyone.  Mellow
(05-04-2016, 12:09 PM)PhilHos Wrote: Yes, it was a way to not include anyone.  Mellow

You're always so non-inclusive.  Maybe I wanted to be the Jeff Daniels to your Jim Carrey.   Mellow

(05-04-2016, 12:35 PM)SteelCitySouth Wrote: You're always so non-inclusive.  Maybe I wanted to be the Jeff Daniels to your Jim Carrey.   Mellow

I thought fred was Jim Carrey. After all, fred is constantly doing the "most annoying sound in the world"  Mellow
Sounds great to me. A person aware enough to realize they are not equipped to raise a child should be commended and have as easy a time as possible. It has to be a gut wrenching desision for the majority who would make this decision.
“History teaches that grave threats to liberty often come in times of urgency, when constitutional rights seem too extravagant to endure.”-Thurgood Marshall

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
(05-04-2016, 11:54 AM)SteelCitySouth Wrote: Are you now mocking me?   Mellow

No ?
Mellow
(05-04-2016, 01:38 PM)Rotobeast Wrote: No ?
Mellow

Seems like it...
Mellow

(05-04-2016, 01:50 PM)SteelCitySouth Wrote: Seems like it...
Mellow

I'm sorry........
Mellow
(05-04-2016, 02:00 PM)Rotobeast Wrote: I'm sorry........
Mellow

Liar......
Mellow

(05-04-2016, 02:38 PM)SteelCitySouth Wrote: Liar......
Mellow

Don't hate me for being beautiful.
And quit mocking my "......".
Mellow
(05-04-2016, 03:56 PM)Rotobeast Wrote: Don't hate me for being beautiful.
Mellow

Shocked

You're a "___________"?

Ninja
Your anger and ego will always reveal your true self.
(05-04-2016, 03:56 PM)Rotobeast Wrote: Don't hate me for being beautiful.
Mellow

Hey wait a minute here........

Mellow