Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
First Bandwagon Accusation
I had joined the WhoDey Nation group on Facebook. I mentioned that after 30 years as a Lions fan, I'm not quick to be embarrassed by my team. Then had a person comment on there that I bandwagoned over to the Bengals, and shouldn't be on a Bengals forum, and am clearly not loyal. Yet he's "not judging me." Got my first gatekeeper!

Has anyone else here been fed up with their team after years of disappointment and come over to the Bengals and been accused of disloyalty and been told their not welcomed? Or has anyone here been upset by a bandwagoner showing up?

I have so far encountered a TON of welcoming arms here, and appreciate the fire and passion of this fan base. So it's disappointing to be looked at as disloyal because of something as trivial as football, but at least it seems to be a rare thing.

Also, as a fun question, if you could pick one other team to root for, who would it be?
[Image: 313411026_198007412671381_49194530241918...e=6365D923]
Reply/Quote
(11-01-2022, 10:06 AM)midnightorb Wrote: I had joined the WhoDey Nation group on Facebook.  I mentioned that after 30 years as a Lions fan, I'm not quick to be embarrassed by my team.  Then had a person comment on there that I bandwagoned over to the Bengals, and shouldn't be on a Bengals forum, and am clearly not loyal.  Yet he's "not judging me."  Got my first gatekeeper!

Has anyone else here been fed up with their team after years of disappointment and come over to the Bengals and been accused of disloyalty and been told their not welcomed?  Or has anyone here been upset by a bandwagoner showing up?

I have so far encountered a TON of welcoming arms here, and appreciate the fire and passion of this fan base.  So it's disappointing to be looked at as disloyal because of something as trivial as football, but at least it seems to be a rare thing.

Also, as a fun question, if you could pick one other team to root for, who would it be?

Your first mistake was being on Facebook.  Ninja

But, when it comes to other fans judging you, telling you what kind of fan you are, aren't, should or shouldn't be...it's meaningless. Just do your own thing, root for who you want, however you want.
Reply/Quote
I've been a Bengals fan since I was a kid in the 1970s.  I adopted the Lions in 1985 after an offhand comment during dinner on Thanksgiving 1984 led us to actually attend the 1985 game.  So, they're my number one and number two teams, respectively. Hell, I've been with these teams 40+ and 37 years, and in those combined 80 or so years, I've seen enough ugly football between the two of them to break just about any mortal man.  But, I seriously doubt that I will ever abandon either of them.  

Even if I am nothing else, I am loyal, dammit.

Having said that, I must admit that there were times the past 20+ years that I wondered what it would have been like had I become a Pats fan about 1999 or so.  Those six trophies would have been a hell of a ride.  I could have bought one of those jackets with the leather sleeves and six patches.  

But that's between us.

As to you being labeled a bandwagon fan, last night (and I fear the remaining nine games this season) should quickly dispel that sort of talk.  
“We're 2-7!  What the **** difference does it make?!” - Bruce Coslet
Reply/Quote
Welcome to the family! You need to be tough and strong to be a Bengals fan. But I see you've had practice with your previous fandom, so you should have no problems here. Cool

Second team? Anybody playing Steelers
#WhoDey
#RuleTheJungle
#TheyGottaPlayUs
#WeAreYourSuperBowl

Reply/Quote
Yeah Facebook wasn't the best call. That there is a group of fair-weather fans and gatekeepers who likely found the fan page by being on Facebook and randomly searching for a fan page. Whereas here required a search and an extra sign up. Everyone here has been very kind to me.
Reply/Quote
(11-01-2022, 07:30 PM)Awful Llama Wrote: I've been a Bengals fan since I was a kid in the 1970s.  I adopted the Lions in 1985 after an offhand comment during dinner on Thanksgiving 1984 led us to actually attend the 1985 game.  So, they're my number one and number two teams, respectively. Hell, I've been with these teams 40+ and 37 years, and in those combined 80 or so years, I've seen enough ugly football between the two of them to break just about any mortal man.  But, I seriously doubt that I will ever abandon either of them.  

Even if I am nothing else, I am loyal, dammit.

Having said that, I must admit that there were times the past 20+ years that I wondered what it would have been like had I become a Pats fan about 1999 or so.  Those six trophies would have been a hell of a ride.  I could have bought one of those jackets with the leather sleeves and six patches.  

But that's between us.

As to you being labeled a bandwagon fan, last night (and I fear the remaining nine games this season) should quickly dispel that sort of talk.  

The Lions tend to be a bit easy to root for sometimes. The bar is set so incredibly low that a first down without a penalty is cause for celebration. Plus it's fun to see fans of every other team realize how crappy the Lions have had it when it comes to refs.  The problem with the easy side of being a Lions fan is that it's also a rather depressing side.  Like cheering for being the firs 0-16 team, and it requiring Jon Kitna throwing two pick sixes to Charles Woodson late in the fourth quarter for the loss and not giving a crap. Eep.

I get it with the Pats in the early Brady days.  He went to Michigan as we all know, a school whose stadium was a 20 minute walk from my house.  I met him quite a few times, and he kind of came across with this "I'm bigger and older than you, so I'm better than you" attitude which put me off a bit.  No doubt he was fun to watch for a while there.
Reply/Quote
(11-01-2022, 09:56 PM)midnightorb Wrote: The Lions tend to be a bit easy to root for sometimes. The bar is set so incredibly low that a first down without a penalty is cause for celebration. Plus it's fun to see fans of every other team realize how crappy the Lions have had it when it comes to refs.  The problem with the easy side of being a Lions fan is that it's also a rather depressing side.  Like cheering for being the firs 0-16 team, and it requiring Jon Kitna throwing two pick sixes to Charles Woodson late in the fourth quarter for the loss and not giving a crap. Eep.

I get it with the Pats in the early Brady days.  He went to Michigan as we all know, a school whose stadium was a 20 minute walk from my house.  I met him quite a few times, and he kind of came across with this "I'm bigger and older than you, so I'm better than you" attitude which put me off a bit.  No doubt he was fun to watch for a while there.

Hard knocks made dan Campbell very likable and easy to root for to have success..

Sadly its just not working not sure if its the Coaching overall or just the Defense.    I tend to root for all the big Cat teams.
Reply/Quote
(11-01-2022, 04:48 PM)Bengalholic Wrote: Your first mistake was being on Facebook.  Ninja

Read the OP and was going to say the same thing but without the ninja face.   But also there is a BengalsBoard Facebook link at the top of every page here so maybe that encouraged the OP's exploration of Bengals Facebook pages.     Tongue
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]

༼ つ ◕_◕ ༽つ    Yeah
Reply/Quote
(11-02-2022, 07:06 PM)George Cantstandya Wrote: Read the OP and was going to say the same thing but without the ninja face.   But also there is a BengalsBoard Facebook link at the top of every page here so maybe that encouraged the OP's exploration of Bengals Facebook pages.     Tongue

Lol, nah I just randomly searched on facebook for Bengals fan pages.  I should go to the one linked on here, since the Bengals Board people have all been extremely kind and welcoming.  :)
Reply/Quote