Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
First Depth Chart
(08-05-2019, 04:53 PM)lone bengal Wrote:  The front office is basically relying on scheme and heath to turn things around. We did absolutely nothing in free agency to address the offensive line or linebackers.

They signed a starting OG and used a first round pick on OT.

You can't just make stuff up out of thin air and claim it is true.
Reply/Quote
(08-05-2019, 05:12 PM)fredtoast Wrote: They signed a starting OG and used a first round pick on OT.

...and spent a first round pick on a center last year.
Reply/Quote
(08-05-2019, 05:32 PM)NKURyan Wrote: ...and spent a first round pick on a center last year.

and traded a 1st round pick for an OT last year
Reply/Quote
(08-05-2019, 05:12 PM)fredtoast Wrote: They signed a starting OG and used a first round pick on OT.

I said they did nothing to address the linebacker position in free agency which is true didn’t make it up out of thin air. Williams isn’t a free agent upgrade he’s a draft pick. People are excited about Miller because anything is better than Redmond who was god awful. The point I was trying to make was this team relies to heavily on the draft to fill all there needs hoping every single draft pick hits.
Reply/Quote
(08-05-2019, 06:15 PM)XenoMorph Wrote: and traded a 1st round pick for an OT last year

I was taking about this offseason. Does last years offseason count twice for what they did this year ? What’s the grace period 3 years 4 years ? They signed a free agent linebacker 3 years ago !
Reply/Quote
(08-05-2019, 06:37 PM)lone bengal Wrote: I was taking about this offseason.  Does last years offseason count twice for what they did this year ? What’s the grace period 3 years 4 years ? They signed a free agent linebacker 3 years ago !

It seems that the team chooses to not overpay in the free agent market.  Did you happen to see what all of the "name brand" LBs were getting this year in FA contracts?  Now, if this were an already stacked team, I could see them going all-in to get that "final piece", but that year ain't this year by a long stretch.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]

Volson is meh, but I like him, and he has far exceeded my expectations

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
(08-05-2019, 06:32 PM)lone bengal Wrote: I said they did nothing to address the linebacker position in free agency which is true didn’t make it up out of thin air. 

You said they were relying on "scheme and health", and that is BS because they were depending on the draft.
Reply/Quote
(08-05-2019, 06:43 PM)SunsetBengal Wrote: It seems that the team chooses to not overpay in the free agent market.  Did you happen to see what all of the "name brand" LBs were getting this year in FA contracts?  Now, if this were an already stacked team, I could see them going all-in to get that "final piece", but that year ain't this year by a long stretch.

During their playoff appearance steak, they added next to nothing from FA to help them get over the top.

Queue the Brandon Lafell champions
Reply/Quote
(08-05-2019, 06:55 PM)fredtoast Wrote: You said they were relying on "scheme and health", and that is BS because they were depending on the draft.

Didn’t know I needed to state the Bengals would use their draft picks as part of their schemes considering every team depends on the draft because every team gets to draft players and use them lol it’s common sense. And I was including health of draft picks with health of all players which has been an issue with 1st round picks for a while.
Reply/Quote
(08-05-2019, 07:11 PM)lone bengal Wrote: Didn’t know I needed to state the Bengals would use the draft considering every team depends on the draft because every team gets to draft players lol it’s common sense. And I was including health of draft picks with health of all players which has been an issue with 1st round picks for a while.

There are 7 rounds in the draft.

32 teams.

They should draft by lottery and every teams gets one full round every 4.5 years

Just a classic lottery. Bengals get 32 3rd round picks in 2021, but nothing again till 2026
Reply/Quote
(08-05-2019, 06:43 PM)SunsetBengal Wrote: It seems that the team chooses to not overpay in the free agent market.  Did you happen to see what all of the "name brand" LBs were getting this year in FA contracts?  Now, if this were an already stacked team, I could see them going all-in to get that "final piece", but that year ain't this year by a long stretch.

Yep. I think people just want to forget that this year's Free Agent crop was VERY thin and the extremely low number of marquee players got overpaid tremendously. In fact even extremely mediocre players got big paydays. As to the draft, the injury was just bad luck. We got our man and have our franchise LT once he returns. Between Bush and Pratt, Pratt while needing some polish on his run defense technique is better in coverage - in fact several draft scouts put him in a very close second to Devin White and ranked Pratt better in coverage.
Reply/Quote
(08-05-2019, 07:11 PM)lone bengal Wrote: Didn’t know I needed to state the Bengals would use their draft picks as part of their schemes considering every team depends on the draft because every team gets to draft players and use them lol it’s common sense.

Lot's of teams do "nothing" in free agency when they use a first round pick to address a problem. Teams that use a first round pick on a QB don't alos go out and sign a top dollar free agent QB.

It is just common sense.    Rolleyes
Reply/Quote
(08-05-2019, 07:28 PM)fredtoast Wrote: Lot's of teams do "nothing" in free agency when they use a first round pick to address a problem. Teams that use a first round pick on a QB don't alos go out and sign a top dollar free agent QB.

It is just common sense.    Rolleyes

You may want to reconsider providing nourishment to a creature commonly found under bridges....
Reply/Quote
(08-05-2019, 07:04 PM)TopSix Wrote: During their playoff appearance steak, they added next to nothing from FA to help them get over the top.

Not sure if you were around the boards during that run, but it was as often discussed then, as it is now.  The bottom line was, none of those teams was ever "one player away".  Using hindsight, one might have made an argument for the 2015 team.  That was a special unit, had great chemistry.  I still think that had Andy not broke his thumb, things would have been much different in the playoffs.  But still, even on that team, I don't know if you could have pinpointed one FA to replace one position player that would have put the Bengals "over the top" that year.

Volson is meh, but I like him, and he has far exceeded my expectations

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
(08-05-2019, 04:23 PM)THE PISTONS Wrote: No major surprises. On paper, we're not a very talented roster compared to some teams in the league.

I guess coaching is going to have to be stellar!

Our skill players on offense are as good as any when healthy, you won't find many secondaries as good as ours, and same goes for our Defensive line. I will give you the lB core and offensive line are not great but then again show me a team right now that doesn't have a major weekness to them.
https://twitter.com/JAKEAKAJ24
J24

Jessie Bates left the Bengals and that makes me sad!
Reply/Quote

(08-05-2019, 05:32 PM)NKURyan Wrote: ...and spent a first round pick on a center last year.

(08-05-2019, 06:15 PM)XenoMorph Wrote: and traded a 1st round pick for an OT last year

[Image: d8d8040ecb268f188cd37461007a144175d7bf85...1f9263.jpg]
Reply/Quote
(08-05-2019, 07:39 PM)SunsetBengal Wrote: Not sure if you were around the boards during that run, but it was as often discussed then, as it is now.  The bottom line was, none of those teams was ever "one player away".  Using hindsight, one might have made an argument for the 2015 team.  That was a special unit, had great chemistry.  I still think that had Andy not broke his thumb, things would have been much different in the playoffs.  But still, even on that team, I don't know if you could have pinpointed one FA to replace one position player that would have put the Bengals "over the top" that year.

I don't know. Those teams had pretty glaring Center and LB that could cover TE needs.

IF we added a major upgrade at Center like Mack who knows what would have happened?

The funny thing is those teams wanted to keep a clean cap so upcoming seasons wouldn't be compromised. Well the past 3 years we've won what 6, 7.5, 6 games? Yay?
Reply/Quote
(08-05-2019, 05:09 PM)fredtoast Wrote: Bengals would have passed over Bush to take Williams.

The squeelers will never allow the bengals to have a better D than theirs, never. Taking Bush was just reinforcing that. Good thing we got Finley on our end with in the 4th round.  Shocked
Reply/Quote
This looks so terrible. If they win 6 games it will be amazing.
Reply/Quote
(08-05-2019, 07:04 PM)TopSix Wrote: During their playoff appearance steak, they added next to nothing from FA to help them get over the top.

Mike Brown is always about putting on a bandaid where stitches are needed. 

Mr. Halfmeasure. The most incompetent owner in professional football (at least). 

"The measure of a man's intelligence can be seen in the length of his argument."
Reply/Quote