Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
First Meeting, Plan for Recivers in 2017
http://www.bengals.com/news/article-1/Urban-looks-for-renewal-after-solid-16/246d4fdc-c293-43a6-9b2d-5c95feffd3c1

In the offseason I do check the Bengals website daily for any new information.

I would have loved to been sitting in the back of the room for this meeting.

It appears that Urban seems that Core has the tools and the attitude to be that other threat to use along with Green.

'They’re supposedly looking for a deep threat, but Urban isn’t going to sell the 6-3, 210-pound Core short. He says he’s in the mix to be that Green running mate and says he’s got a rather high ceiling with speed and size. Not to compare, but his ability to separate compares to Green’s tag-team partner of three of the last four years in Jones.

“Marv’s first 10 steps are very explosive,’ Urban says. “CC is more of a speed builder. He gets those big steps going and he can roll. And he’s strong, strong.”

And Urban says Core has been more than fine with his book.

“I can always tell when the guys are in their playbook away from the building,” Urban says. “They’ll come back and ask you, ‘But what if this happens?’ He does that all the time.” '
Reply/Quote
Nice, really like Urban and love what he is saying about Core cuz i feel the same. He reminds me a bit of Chris Henry
with that extra gear, needs to work on his hands to be the new Henry though and his routes. Obviously as Urban says
Core is strong, unlike Henry. Core could be special and a lot more physical then either Henry or MLJ.

Honestly would rather have Urban taking Zamp's place as OC. Atleast we would be promoting a guy that has done very
well at where he has been coaching in the past. Never liked Zampese before he became OC.
Reply/Quote
I think we did just fine grabbing Core late in last years draft. While I would love to have B LaFell back if we need that money for Rex, OL or DL Im fine with letting Brandon walk and plugging Core in that role.
"We have been sentenced to life in the prison that is a Bengals fan and we are going to serve out our time"
Reply/Quote
(01-06-2017, 02:59 PM)corpjet Wrote: I think we did just fine grabbing Core late in last years draft.  While I would love to have B LaFell back if we need that money for Rex, OL or DL Im fine with letting Brandon walk and plugging Core in that role.

I am fine with that cause i do think Core would be taking Lafell's spot next year anyways. But if Lafell wants to come
back (like he says he does) for pretty cheap (like it sounds) he is great depth.
Reply/Quote
(01-06-2017, 02:59 PM)corpjet Wrote: I think we did just fine grabbing Core late in last years draft.  While I would love to have B LaFell back if we need that money for Rex, OL or DL Im fine with letting Brandon walk and plugging Core in that role.

I agree, but I definitely wouldn't mind seeing Core line up across from Green with Boyd in the slot and Eifert at TE and Gio/Rex in the backfield, that would be hard to defend.
Reply/Quote
(01-06-2017, 03:28 PM)Crowe Wrote: I agree, but I definitely wouldn't mind seeing Core line up across from Green with Boyd in the slot and Eifert at TE and Gio/Rex in the backfield, that would be hard to defend.

I think if we had all those guys healthy at the same time even Zamp couldn't screw that up.

Edit: But PA and the O-line could.
Reply/Quote
It's crazy that after losing two big contributors last offseason we are looking at receiver as a position of strength. I might speak more to the drop off at other positions than anything else, but I still like the guys they've added.

I'd like to see someone with more speed to stretch the defense added at some point. Maybe that doesn't happen this offseason, but I think it's needed.

I'd also like to see Alex Erickson used a bit more in the passing game. He popped up occasionally in 2016, but I think he'd be a nice 3rd option here and there. He certainly knows what to do with the ball in his hands.

It will be interesting to see what a year of experience does for the group. Seems that they also are ready to move on from Hill as the main cog in the run game, so that could change the dynamic quite a bit as well.
Reply/Quote
Core surprised everyone, but he's not ready to be a WR2/3 just yet IMO.
LaFell needs to be brought back on a 1-2 year deal while Core continues to develop.
I'd also like to see another WR drafted, as I still think Wright is easily replaceable.

EDIT - You think Core has joked with Treadwell that he had more than 10x his receiving yards as a rookie? 200 yards for Core vs 15 yards for Treadwell. And honestly, Treadwell had plenty of room to establish himself in that offense. I don't know why Treadwell was so underutilized in that offense, as it seems his playstyle would have fit well with Bradford.
Zac Taylor 2019-2020: 6 total wins
Zac Taylor 2021-2022: Double-digit wins each season, plus 5 postseason wins
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(01-06-2017, 05:01 PM)ochocincos Wrote: Core surprised everyone, but he's not ready to be a WR2/3 just yet IMO.
LaFell needs to be brought back on a 1-2 year deal while Core continues to develop.
I'd also like to see another WR drafted, as I still think Wright is easily replaceable.

EDIT - You think Core has joked with Treadwell that he had more than 10x his receiving yards as a rookie? 200 yards for Core vs 15 yards for Treadwell. And honestly, Treadwell had plenty of room to establish himself in that offense. I don't know why Treadwell was so underutilized in that offense, as it seems his playstyle would have fit well with Bradford.

Core didn't surprise me.

We needed a deep threat, we didn't dress Core, then we had him sit on the bench as usual.

Core gets his chance, plays well in this role. Typical Marv.

With the way Urban is talking i am expecting big things out of Core and while i like Lafell a lot he is not that
deep threat that we needed all year long that Core is. I think Core will be ready to be the #2 next season
barring us drafting a Mike Williams or someone like that.

That is pretty rough for Laquan, i thought he had a rough year but that team needed a receiver bad and he
only had 15 yards with way more snaps than Core? I think Urban knows his stuff. Cool
Reply/Quote
Was encouraging to read that Urban appears pleased with the development of this season's rookie receivers. I may be in the minority around here, but I also have a lot of confidence in the WR unit moving forward in '17. Not only did they incorporate 3 rookies into the mix; Boyd, Core, Erickson, but also integrated Brandon Lafell into the offense.

That is a lot of new faces for an offense to manage. Not only did they have to learn the Bengal offense, but they had to build a relationship, and gain confidence from Andy Dalton as well. Nice job on the part of Urban, for having these guys prepared.

Volson is meh, but I like him, and he has far exceeded my expectations

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
(01-06-2017, 05:09 PM)Nate (formerly eliminate08) Wrote: Core didn't surprise me.

We needed a deep threat, we didn't dress Core, then we had him sit on the bench as usual.

Core gets his chance, plays well in this role. Typical Marv.

With the way Urban is talking i am expecting big things out of Core and while i like Lafell a lot he is not that
deep threat that we needed all year long that Core is. I think Core will be ready to be the #2 next season
barring us drafting a Mike Williams or someone like that.

That is pretty rough for Laquan, i thought he had a rough year but that team needed a receiver bad and he
only had 15 yards with way more snaps than Core? I think Urban knows his stuff. Cool

Dead on.  Ditto Cedric Ogbuehi.  Ditto Sexy.  

And #2 receiver often gets misunderstood here.  That doesn't necessarily mean he is the #2 receiving option, but the WR across the field from AJ Green.  If they go 3 WR, they would include Boyd in the slot.  If they go two WR, two TE, they could rotate Core and Boyd across from AJ and have Eifert and a rotation of Kroft/Uzomah on the opposite side.  

He is, IMHO, the missing piece from the WR puzzle...a big, speedy guy that can take the top off the defense.  Let everyone else work underneath, but give AJ the occasional deep shot, of course.  

I can only think of about 5 balls the Bengals took deep all year....crazy.   You allow the defense to defend only a portion of the field.  People will argue that they didn't have time, but that all goes hand in hand.  You have to make the defense respect the fact that you can throw it over their heads, or they will just thump you at the LOS.

Good to hear Core is trying to make the most our of his opportunity, as far as learning the nuances goes.  
Reply/Quote
(01-08-2017, 01:38 PM)SHRacerX Wrote: Dead on.  Ditto Cedric Ogbuehi.  Ditto Sexy.  

And #2 receiver often gets misunderstood here.  That doesn't necessarily mean he is the #2 receiving option, but the WR across the field from AJ Green.  If they go 3 WR, they would include Boyd in the slot.  If they go two WR, two TE, they could rotate Core and Boyd across from AJ and have Eifert and a rotation of Kroft/Uzomah on the opposite side.  

He is, IMHO, the missing piece from the WR puzzle...a big, speedy guy that can take the top off the defense.  Let everyone else work underneath, but give AJ the occasional deep shot, of course.  

I can only think of about 5 balls the Bengals took deep all year....crazy.   You allow the defense to defend only a portion of the field.  People will argue that they didn't have time, but that all goes hand in hand.  You have to make the defense respect the fact that you can throw it over their heads, or they will just thump you at the LOS.

Good to hear Core is trying to make the most our of his opportunity, as far as learning the nuances goes.  

53 completions over 20 yards and 13 completions over 40 yards.  That's just completions, not attempts (because I don't know where to find that Smirk ).
Reply/Quote
(01-06-2017, 03:07 PM)Nate (formerly eliminate08) Wrote: I am fine with that cause i do think Core would be taking Lafell's spot next year anyways. But if Lafell wants to come
back (like he says he does) for pretty cheap (like it sounds) he is great depth.

I want to resign Lafell regardless of Core... Lafell did a fine job as our 2nd WR

Top 40 in Receptions for WR
Top 35 in yards for WR
Top 25 in Tds for WR... 

Solid production, few drops and zero fumbles
Reply/Quote
(01-08-2017, 04:18 PM)Essex Johnson Wrote: I want to resign Lafell regardless of Core... Lafell did a fine job as our 2nd WR

Top 40 in Receptions for WR
Top 35 in yards for WR
Top 25 in Tds for WR... 

Solid production, few drops and zero fumbles

I agree, want Lafell back. This was in his first year in the system too. He should only get better next year if we bring him back.

The thing is we need to have Core out there a lot as well to take the top off. Nice to have this competition at the X.
Reply/Quote
WR was not the issue on offense this season outside of the plague of injuries. Now was TE. It was Center and RT that sank us.
Reply/Quote
(01-08-2017, 05:55 PM)Joelist Wrote: WR was not the issue on offense this season outside of the plague of injuries. Now was TE. It was Center and RT that sank us.

Agreed...and we can't upgrade 4-5 position groups in one offseason so I'd be happy with bringing Lafell back and then having Core and Boyd with another offseason of development.
Reply/Quote
(01-08-2017, 02:13 PM)jfkbengals Wrote: 53 completions over 20 yards and 13 completions over 40 yards.  That's just completions, not attempts (because I don't know where to find that Smirk ).

Completely inaccurate stat...those include 5 yard passes that go over 20 yards because of a missed tackle.  That is not "taking a shot deep"... and that is how Pig Ben gets most of his yards, after the catch.
Reply/Quote
(01-08-2017, 08:42 PM)SHRacerX Wrote: Completely inaccurate stat...those include 5 yard passes that go over 20 yards because of a missed tackle.  That is not "taking a shot deep"... and that is how Pig Ben gets most of his yards, after the catch.

That is a true statement.

However, by the NFLs Gamebook we had 4 completions for more than 30 yards in week 1 alone, where Andy had 6 deep attempts in that game.  That is already more than 5 deep balls all year.  The easier way of looking at it is to look at the receiving corps YAC for the season and see that in general it is not a high percentage of the total receiving yards, i.e. they are not getting the bulk of their yards after the catch.

EDIT: We attempted 13 deep throws in week 2, again based off of the NFLs Game Book
Reply/Quote
(01-08-2017, 08:42 PM)SHRacerX Wrote: Completely inaccurate stat...those include 5 yard passes that go over 20 yards because of a missed tackle.  That is not "taking a shot deep"... and that is how Pig Ben gets most of his yards, after the catch.

Actually, according to Profootball Focus, Dalton's deep ball was one of the best in the NFL. And yes, that's passes actually traveling farther than 5 yards.

We didn't take many deep shots this year because we lacked a deep threat. We have for awhile and it never got addressed. If Green is out, we lack speed.

Sure. LaFell or Boyd can get open. But if you take away Green, who are you going deep to? I understand people are high on Core and he did well for the last game of the season. Core also has a slow acceleration off the line of scrimmage and not the greatest route runner. Once he gets it into gear, he's fast. But if a defender gets physical with him, it throws off his speed pretty easily.

Apparently the Bengals wanted Will Fuller last year for speed. So I expect them to draft a speed guy this year. Don't be surprised if we take a guy like Dede Westbrook or John Ross due to our lack of speed. Another sleeper is KD Cannon from Baylor. He can be a day 2 or 3 gem.
Check out my YouTube channel: https://www.youtube.com/user/AndWeGiveUp

[Image: Mx7IB2.png]
Reply/Quote
(01-09-2017, 07:39 AM)wolfkaosaun Wrote: Actually, according to Profootball Focus, Dalton's deep ball was one of the best in the NFL. And yes, that's passes actually traveling farther than 5 yards.

We didn't take many deep shots this year because we lacked a deep threat. We have for awhile and it never got addressed. If Green is out, we lack speed.

Sure. LaFell or Boyd can get open. But if you take away Green, who are you going deep to? I understand people are high on Core and he did well for the last game of the season. Core also has a slow acceleration off the line of scrimmage and not the greatest route runner. Once he gets it into gear, he's fast. But if a defender gets physical with him, it throws off his speed pretty easily.

Apparently the Bengals wanted Will Fuller last year for speed. So I expect them to draft a speed guy this year. Don't be surprised if we take a guy like Dede Westbrook or John Ross due to our lack of speed. Another sleeper is KD Cannon from Baylor. He can be a day 2 or 3 gem.

Good point about Core's acceleration and i love KD Cannon. Be all for that pick.
Reply/Quote