Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
First Mock
I used First-Pick.com for this one...

Your Picks:
Round 1 Pick 11: Oliver, Ed, DT, Houston (A)
Round 2 Pick 10: Wilson, Mack, ILB, Alabama (B+)
Round 3 Pick 8: Lindstrom, Chris, OG, Boston College (A)
Round 4 Pick 8: Sternberger, Jace, TE, Texas A&M (A+)
Round 5 Pick 11: Ledbetter, Jonathan, DE, Georgia (A+)
Round 6 Pick 10: Bates, Ryan, OT, Penn State (A+)
Round 6 Pick 25: Rypien, Brett, QB, Boise State (A+)
Round 7 Pick 9: Evans, Bobby, OT, Oklahoma (A+)

Have at it. The way things turned out, we would definitely have to hope for a FA RT.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
Well, I think we can probably work up a little flatulence, even if we don't have a right tackle that's worth a sh#@*t.
Reply/Quote
This is a BPA available draft that I like and getting the best talent in round 1 is better than over drafting an offensive line for need. Spend in Free agency till you land a good Olineman if need be

[Image: giphy.gif]
Reply/Quote
(01-30-2019, 06:38 PM)Okeana Wrote: This is a BPA available draft that I like and getting the best talent in round 1 is better than over drafting an offensive line for need.  Spend in Free agency till you land a good Olineman if need be

The DTs are strong in this class. Overall, OL (specifically OTs) might not be as strong. However, if there are one or two particular individuals for OL who can also be considered in discussion for BPA at 11, you probably should fill the need because you'd also be getting a really good player.
For OL, I consider Jonah Williams worth the 11th overall pick regardless of need, probably a safe pick like McGlinchey last year. 
I'm warming up to the idea of Cody Ford if people think he could become a franchise OT, but I think there's more risk there given only one year at OT full time. The potential is there though.
For LB, I think Devin White is worth 11th overall regardless of need.
If Jonah Williams and Devin White are gone, the team isn't fond of Ford at 11, and they are unable to find a trade partner to move back, I'd be in favor of DT in Rd 1. There should be a wide array of excellent prospects to pick from.
Zac Taylor 2019-2020: 6 total wins
Zac Taylor 2021-2022: Double-digit wins each season, plus 5 postseason wins
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

Reply/Quote
(01-31-2019, 04:21 PM)ochocincos Wrote: The DTs are strong in this class. Overall, OL (specifically OTs) might not be as strong. However, if there are one or two particular individuals for OL who can also be considered in discussion for BPA at 11, you probably should fill the need because you'd also be getting a really good player.
For OL, I consider Jonah Williams worth the 11th overall pick regardless of need, probably a safe pick like McGlinchey last year. 
I'm warming up to the idea of Cody Ford if people think he could become a franchise OT, but I think there's more risk there given only one year at OT full time. The potential is there though.
For LB, I think Devin White is worth 11th overall regardless of need.
If Jonah Williams and Devin White are gone, the team isn't fond of Ford at 11, and they are unable to find a trade partner to move back, I'd be in favor of DT in Rd 1. There should be a wide array of excellent prospects to pick from.

The way things fell with this sim, White and Williams were gone before 11.  It was basically Ford or Oliver, and I feel Oliver is the better overall prospect and pass rush is an underrated need for us.  All the T's flew off the board in front of me in 2, so I nabbed Mack to plug a hole at LB.

Trading back was also an option, but I wanted to do a no trade mock and First-Pick.com gets a little ridiculous with it's trade offers.
Reply/Quote
(02-01-2019, 02:41 PM)Whatever Wrote: The way things fell with this sim, White and Williams were gone before 11.  It was basically Ford or Oliver, and I feel Oliver is the better overall prospect and pass rush is an underrated need for us.  All the T's flew off the board in front of me in 2, so I nabbed Mack to plug a hole at LB.

Trading back was also an option, but I wanted to do a no trade mock and First-Pick.com gets a little ridiculous with it's trade offers.

This was how my sims went too, and is what I did with Mack.

"Better send those refunds..."

Reply/Quote
(02-01-2019, 02:41 PM)Whatever Wrote: The way things fell with this sim, White and Williams were gone before 11.  It was basically Ford or Oliver, and I feel Oliver is the better overall prospect and pass rush is an underrated need for us.  All the T's flew off the board in front of me in 2, so I nabbed Mack to plug a hole at LB.

Thanks for clarifying that White and Williams weren't available.
Oliver is an interesting one, as people will debate whether he can be Aaron Donald or not and risk taking him that high due to his smaller size.
For the Bengals, it would be interesting how they would use Oliver since they have Atkins.
Would it be worth selecting a guy like Oliver at 11 if he were only able to be used as a nickel DT? He's too small to play NT and the team probably isn't going to move Atkins.
But I agree, Oliver is BPA over Ford.
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

Reply/Quote
(02-01-2019, 06:57 PM)ochocincos Wrote: Thanks for clarifying that White and Williams weren't available.
Oliver is an interesting one, as people will debate whether he can be Aaron Donald or not and risk taking him that high due to his smaller size.
For the Bengals, it would be interesting how they would use Oliver since they have Atkins.
Would it be worth selecting a guy like Oliver at 11 if he were only able to be used as a nickel DT? He's too small to play NT and the team probably isn't going to move Atkins.
But I agree, Oliver is BPA over Ford.

The way I see it, if Geno goes down for any period of time, our pass rush is crippled.  We see it any time he has to sub out.  He's also not getting any younger.  With Oliver, you have an eventual replacement, very little drop off(hypothetically) when he does come off, and a nightmare inside when both are on the field.  It's very hard to stop anybody if you can't get pressure on the QB and/or generate negative plays, and Oliver helps with both.  Our defense struggles to get off the field on 3rd downs.  You line up Lawson, Oliver, Atkins, and Dunlap out there and someone should get some heat on the QB, especially if you bring a CB or S off the edge or send a LB up the A gap.
Reply/Quote
I like it!
Reply/Quote
If, for some reason the Bengals decide to go whole hog on OL in free agency, I would absolutely love that draft.

Volson is meh, but I like him, and he has far exceeded my expectations

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
(02-02-2019, 06:47 PM)SunsetBengal Wrote: If, for some reason the Bengals decide to go whole hog on OL in free agency, I would absolutely love that draft.

At this point I think they have to. There's not really tackles that are worth our spots early. Our best bet is to look for fa to patch the line up for a season or two 
Reply/Quote
(02-02-2019, 12:08 AM)Whatever Wrote: The way I see it, if Geno goes down for any period of time, our pass rush is crippled.  We see it any time he has to sub out.  He's also not getting any younger.  With Oliver, you have an eventual replacement, very little drop off(hypothetically) when he does come off, and a nightmare inside when both are on the field.  It's very hard to stop anybody if you can't get pressure on the QB and/or generate negative plays, and Oliver helps with both.  Our defense struggles to get off the field on 3rd downs.  You line up Lawson, Oliver, Atkins, and Dunlap out there and someone should get some heat on the QB, especially if you bring a CB or S off the edge or send a LB up the A gap.

I get it, but would the Bengals select a player in the first round to be a situational pass rusher given Atkins has 4 years on his new deal? I’d imagine they’d want a 3-down player in the 1st round.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

Reply/Quote
(02-02-2019, 06:47 PM)SunsetBengal Wrote: If, for some reason the Bengals decide to go whole hog on OL in free agency, I would absolutely love that draft.

More on LB, right?  I think the only position that is in need of an immediate overhaul is the RT.  The LBs, well, we really only have one solid option (Vigil).  I would expect two to be drafted (one pretty high) and a FA LB also brought in. 
Reply/Quote
(02-04-2019, 08:39 AM)SHRacerX Wrote: More on LB, right?  I think the only position that is in need of an immediate overhaul is the RT.  The LBs, well, we really only have one solid option (Vigil).  I would expect two to be drafted (one pretty high) and a FA LB also brought in. 

Provided that the team keeps Cordy Glenn on his current contract, he is the only Tackle on the roster.  They usually carry 4.  Even if they double up on Tackle in the draft, they're still going to have to sign at least one reliable veteran, in order to be guaranteed of having a pair of starters to open the season.

Volson is meh, but I like him, and he has far exceeded my expectations

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
This draft to me is too deep at 3 technique to take one at 11. I don't think the drop off from the 2nd best to the 5th best is that great so this would scream classic case of a trade down. If everyone was gone that you mentioned it would mean a lot of QB's were still on the board and Haskins won't be the only one gone in the top 15 so we would be in a prime position to slide back.
Reply/Quote
(02-04-2019, 09:56 AM)Au165 Wrote: This draft to me is too deep at 3 technique to take one at 11. I don't think the drop off from the 2nd best to the 5th best is that great so this would scream classic case of a trade down. If everyone was gone that you mentioned it would mean a lot of QB's were still on the board and Haskins won't be the only one gone in the top 15 so we would be in a prime position to slide back.

Am I weird for liking Deatrich Wise’s brother, Daniel, the DL at Kansas? He seems like a quality get on Day 3. Given this team might be looking for just a situational interior rusher and/or backup 3T, I think he might be a decent option.

Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

Reply/Quote
(02-04-2019, 10:59 AM)ochocincos Wrote: Am I weird for liking Deatrich Wise’s brother, Daniel, the DL at Kansas? He seems like a quality get on Day 3. Given this team might be looking for just a situational interior rusher and/or backup 3T, I think he might be a decent option.

Honestly I look at him as a similar prospect to Andrew Brown who we took last year out of Virginia. A talented athlete who can be a penetratng 1 gap 3 technique but has played some 5 T. I actually still have hope Brown can be that MJ replacement they kind of drafted him to be once he recovers from his injury this year, but this will be a big year in his maturation. 
Reply/Quote
(02-04-2019, 11:09 AM)Au165 Wrote: Honestly I look at him as a similar prospect to Andrew Brown who we took last year out of Virginia. A talented athlete who can be a penetratng 1 gap 3 technique but has played some 5 T. I actually still have hope Brown can be that MJ replacement they kind of drafted him to be once he recovers from his injury this year, but this will be a big year in his maturation. 

Yea from my research, it sounds like he needs to focus on interior rush and moving him around the line made him less effective. Andrew Brown kind of got forgotten due to being put on PS and then injury, he might surprise everyone. I think Wise would provide some worthwhile competition for that last DT spot if they went with a Day 3 pick, as I'd expect Atkins, Billings, and Glasgow all to make the roster too and therefore only one more DT spot to fill.
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

Reply/Quote
(02-04-2019, 09:56 AM)Au165 Wrote: This draft to me is too deep at 3 technique to take one at 11. I don't think the drop off from the 2nd best to the 5th best is that great so this would scream classic case of a trade down. If everyone was gone that you mentioned it would mean a lot of QB's were still on the board and Haskins won't be the only one gone in the top 15 so we would be in a prime position to slide back.

Ideally, I'd want to trade down, but I was doing a no trade draft.

I'm a little higher Oliver than you, I think.  The Clemson guys scare me a bit.  They feel to me like the USC LB's back with the Rey, Cushing, and Matthews draft.  I don't think all of them are as good as advertised.  
Reply/Quote
(02-04-2019, 09:14 AM)SunsetBengal Wrote: Provided that the team keeps Cordy Glenn on his current contract, he is the only Tackle on the roster.  They usually carry 4.  Even if they double up on Tackle in the draft, they're still going to have to sign at least one reliable veteran, in order to be guaranteed of having a pair of starters to open the season.

Good point.  Wonder if they will re-sign Hart?  Can't imagine folks are knocking his door down with offers, but he is still young.  I guess a lot would depend on how much they have to pay him in case he isn't the starter.  

Wasn't there another guy that was ok in preseason...Perkins?  Or something like that?  
Reply/Quote