Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
First New Energy Infrastructure Moves Forward
If you've read my posts on oil, renewables and our energy or EV future, one of the things I have been adamant about was our lack of energy infrastructure investment and that the current grid which is already failing, can't handle our renewable/EV future. Also, you will have read that upgrading our grids is particularly problematic because our power grid is owned and maintained at the local and not State or Federal levels.

What I did not know was that the Fed has gone around this issue to do what is can, which is build NEW modern and advanced high voltage lines through federal lands, to carry renewable energy from the large SW desert solar and wind projects to the areas that need it most - those already suffering from black outs. This will give our power grid some breathing room, but it doesn't address our bigger problem of upgrading the current grid.

But a positive step and a first step is better than nothing.

https://oilprice.com/Energy/Energy-General/US-Energy-Infrastructure-To-Get-A-Major-Bump.html
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(06-12-2023, 09:08 PM)Stewy Wrote: If you've read my posts on oil, renewables and our energy or EV future, one of the things I have been adamant about was our lack of energy infrastructure investment and that the current grid which is already failing, can't handle our renewable/EV future.  Also, you will have read that upgrading our grids is particularly problematic because our power grid is owned and maintained at the local and not State or Federal levels.

What I did not know was that the Fed has gone around this issue to do what is can, which is build NEW modern and advanced high voltage lines through federal lands, to carry renewable energy from the large SW desert solar and wind projects to the areas that need it most - those already suffering from black outs.  This will give our power grid some breathing room, but it doesn't address our bigger problem of upgrading the current grid.

But a positive step and a first step is better than nothing.

https://oilprice.com/Energy/Energy-General/US-Energy-Infrastructure-To-Get-A-Major-Bump.html

I work for a Surveying firm in Southern Ohio, our biggest client is AEP (American Electric Power).  Likely 60% of our annual revenue is from AEP projects, weather they be for upgrades to existing transmission lines, or greenfield projects to provide stronger support than existing lines can provide.  From what our company owners have been talking about, AEP is gearing up to meet the increased demand for the transition from fossil fuels.  (I know that I didn't provide any stats, etc.  This is just shop talk coming from someone who works in an industry that supports a major energy provider in this region.) 

Volson is meh, but I like him, and he has far exceeded my expectations

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
That is something, and an issue that many people don't think about at all. Living n Southern California I am intimately familiar with blackouts. I don't think people understand the ramifications of this push for EV's. They suck up enormous amounts of power, equivalent to a running AC unit. Our power grids just aren't ready for a complete switch to EV's, not even close.

Stewy, what do you think the monetary investment would need to be to fully modernize our current grids? Obviously that wouldn't all come from the FEd's.
Reply/Quote
(06-12-2023, 09:49 PM)SunsetBengal Wrote: I work for a Surveying firm in Southern Ohio, our biggest client is AEP (American Electric Power).  Likely 60% of our annual revenue is from AEP projects, weather they be for upgrades to existing transmission lines, or greenfield projects to provide stronger support than existing lines can provide.  From what our company owners have been talking about, AEP is gearing up to meet the increased demand for the transition from fossil fuels.  (I know that I didn't provide any stats, etc.  This is just shop talk coming from someone who works in an industry that supports a major energy provider in this region.) 

Sure.  That's not surprising.  And kudos to them for recognizing the need to upgrade, but it emphasizes my point that upgrading isn't happening at the Federal level because they have no control of it.  It's all on the local utilities to make the change.  Perhaps (I think) the 1 trillion$ bill has incentives/financial support to upgrade, but still it's up to the local utilities.
Reply/Quote
(06-12-2023, 10:15 PM)Sociopathicsteelerfan Wrote: That is something, and an issue that many people don't think about at all.  Living n Southern California I am intimately familiar with blackouts.   I don't think people understand the ramifications of this push for EV's.  They suck up enormous amounts of power, equivalent to a running AC unit.  Our power grids just aren't ready for a complete switch to EV's, not even close.

Stewy, what do you think the monetary investment would need to be to fully modernize our current grids? Obviously that wouldn't all come from the FEd's.

I've seen several estimates from multiple sources, but multiple sources suggest ~2 trillion dollars to upgrade our grids for an EV future.

The US power grid is archaic.  We are one of if not the only modernized societies in the world with power lines above ground, making them extremely susceptible to weather and sabotage.  So in this case, upgrade doesn't just mean better technology, but replace and bury, thus the huge price tag.
Reply/Quote