Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
First Pick 2.0
I did another draft without tying myself to taking an OT with the 12th overall selection to see how it ended up and I may like it as well as my original draft.

The way the draft was falling it gave me an opportunity to trade down to the 24th selection, acquire several other selections and still get one of the best athletes in the draft.

Round 1 - 24th Selection:

Derwin James S Florida State - There was no way to pass on this playmaker when he was sitting there. The Bama backer was still there but no way could I pass on James. He is a force at the backend of the defense that we have not seen since David Fulcher.

When the 29th selection arrived and I saw McGlinchey still on the boards I packaged some acquired picks and traded back into the first round.

Round 1 - 29th Selection:

Mike McGlinchey OT Notre Dame - After getting James at 24 and seeing McGlinchey still there at 29 it was like winning the lottery. I see McGlinchey as a 10 year starter at the LT position. He is a pure technician. He may not be the pure athlete that other OTs are but he makes up for it with technique. Has the frame to add much more power with a NFL workout regimen.

Round 2 - 18th Selection:

Rasheem Green DE USC - I would have liked to have made another OL selection at this point but did not see the value there. Green has drawn comparisons to our very own Carlos Dunlap. With the production of Johnson slipping it is time for us to add other prototypical 4-3 DE and he fits the bill very well.

Round 2 - Selection 19:

Isaiah Oliver CB Colorado - Oliver has everything you are looking for in a shut down CB in the NFL. He has great size and speed but needs some polish. We are in great position to have young and solid CBs at this time so Oliver will not have to be forced into a starting job while he refines some portions of his game.

Round 3 - Selection 13:

Frank Ragnow C Arkansas - A very polished center with a nasty streak. A locker room leader at the collegiate level. Not super athletic but makes up for it in football IQ. Should be a huge upgrade to the C position.

Round 3 - Selection 36:

Ian Thomas TE Indiana - Oddly enough has drawn comparisons to a former first round selection of ours in Jermaine Gresham only a better in line blocker.

Round 4 - Selection 12:

Michael Dickson P Texas - A game changer in special teams. Huber has been a solid punter for us but personally I have felt his production has dropped a little over the last couple of seasons. Dickson is a field position changer for sure.

Round 4 - Selection 16:

BJ Hill DT North Carolina State - A wide body run stuffer that can get some up the field push. Could be the Peko replacement we have not been able to find as of yet.

Round 4 - Selection 37:

Skyler Phillips OG Idaho State - This kid is an absolute road grader!

Round 5 - Selection 14:

Terrell Edmunds S Virginia Tech - If you plan on starting in the backend of this defense you better bring your A game.

Round 6 - Selection 13:

Jaleel Scott WR New Mexico State - Said it in my previous mock and will say it again.....this kid could be one of the steals of the draft.

Round 7 - Selection 34:

Ito Smith RB Southern Mississippi - If you do not know anything about this kid then I suggest looking him up. What a complete back.

Round 7 - Selection 35:

Chris Covington OLB Indiana - I was shocked to seem him still available but glad he was. A solid and physical LB that plays side line to side line. Could be an instant contributor on special teams with the ceiling of being an every down backer.

And there you have it.
Reply/Quote