Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
First-Pick Simulation
Well I have done my initial First-Pick Simulation of the offseason and if we get remotely close to this I will be ecstatic. First-Pick did not score it high but I personally love the draft. So here it is...

Round 1:

Joe Burrow - QB - LSU - 6'3" 221:
Chase Young may be the best player in the draft but it is a close race. Even so Burrow is the selection that must be made for the health of the fans and the franchise. I am not a Dalton hater and never have been but this is a change that has to come. Swing for the fences. Burrow has uncanny accuracy along with the skill of improvisation when things break down. Will Burrow be what we all want and expect him to be? The draft is a crapshoot but you can't pass on this talent.

Round 2:

Zack Baun - LB - Wisconsin - 6'2" 238:
I could not believe he was still available at #33 but if he is you run to the podium. We have talked about the need to get more athletic, faster, and better in coverage at the position and this goes a long way in correcting that. Pratt and Baun will make a great young tandem. Baun is a do it all LB that can cover sideline to sideline and brings bit hitting to the field.

Round 3:

Lucas Niang - OT - TCU - 6'6" 315:
We benefit from a run of over drafted QBs and a run on CBs which allow Niang to fall to us. Niang is a day 1 and 10 year OT. From all accounts the medical on his hip is cleared and he is good to go day 1 of camp. Niang is an instant upgrade over Hart and gives us the RT we have missed since Willie left.

Round 4:

Chase Claypool - WR - Notre Dame - 6'4" 238:
An absolute physical freak. He obviously has drawn comparisons to teammate Boykin who was drafted last season only comes advertised as much more refined. Legit long speed was shown with his solid 4.42 time at the combine. Already a very good blocker in the running game. Huge catch radius who wins contested catches. This to work on with technique but to much pure talent to pass on.

Round 5:

Jeremy Chinn - DB - Southern Illinois - 6'3" 221:
I would have liked to have had a pure CB at this point but the value was not there to override the selection of a freak athlete like Chinn. He brings the speed and man cover ability of a CB with the size of big safety or small LB. The question is not if you get him on the field just where you get him on the field. No more TEs and RBs running free as receivers. There is work to do on technique and football knowledge but what pure talent he brings to the field.

Round 6:

Donell Stanley - OG - South Carolina - 6'3" 322:
I cannot understand this kid getting a snub from the combine. He played in 50 games for South Carolina starting 38 of them. PFF credits Stanley with giving up only 5 QB pressures in over 500 passing down snaps. Just a solid lineman that brings physicality to the table.

Round 7:

Benito Jones - DT - Ole Miss - 6'1" 316:
Has played in one of the toughest conferences in collegiate football. Strong with good quickness. The ability to be a future starter but an instant addition to the interior line rotation.
Reply/Quote
I would be more than ok with this haul

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
This would is the best mock I have seen to date! Love the Niang pick! Really hoping Baun is there at #33 though.
Reply/Quote
Damn fine Mock. Wow, love every pick. Baun ran a slower forty is about all I got and I don't put much stock in forties.

Would love this Draft man, great job. Rock On
Reply/Quote
(03-05-2020, 06:10 PM)Nate (formerly eliminate08) Wrote: Damn fine Mock. Wow, love every pick. Baun ran a slower forty is about all I got and I don't put much stock in forties.

Would love this Draft man, great job. Rock On

Baun ran a 4.68 which is pretty decent especially when you consider there were WRs and RBs putting up slower times. I think most would agree that when you watch him on tape that he plays faster than he timed. Much of that could be contributed to great instincts and high football IQ. He shows natural pursuit angles and the ability to know where the ball is going.
Reply/Quote
(03-06-2020, 05:34 PM)OSUfan Wrote: Baun ran a 4.68 which is pretty decent especially when you consider there were WRs and RBs putting up slower times. I think most would agree that when you watch him on tape that he plays faster than he timed. Much of that could be contributed to great instincts and high football IQ. He shows natural pursuit angles and the ability to know where the ball is going.

True, I don't really care about forty times much at all after seeing how Burfict was so slow and was our best sideline to sideline
LB we have had in forever. The mental aspect is where it is at and I think Baun has it. I was just trying to throw something out 
there as a criticism but it won't stick on this beautiful Mock.
Reply/Quote
(03-06-2020, 09:35 PM)Nate (formerly eliminate08) Wrote: True, I don't really care about forty times much at all after seeing how Burfict was so slow and was our best sideline to sideline
LB we have had in forever. The mental aspect is where it is at and I think Baun has it. I was just trying to throw something out 
there as a criticism but it won't stick on this beautiful Mock.

I absolutely agree on your take. I think many times people get so caught up in things such as 40 times that they use it to try and disprove something that is clearly shown on tape. I believe the tape on Baun absolutely shows that the mental aspects of the game allow him to play at a much faster level than he tested at for straight line speed.
Reply/Quote
(03-08-2020, 09:12 AM)OSUfan Wrote: I absolutely agree on your take. I think many times people get so caught up in things such as 40 times that they use it to try and disprove something that is clearly shown on tape. I believe the tape on Baun absolutely shows that the mental aspects of the game allow him to play at a much faster level than he tested at for straight line speed.

Burrow and Baun right now is the best way to start out the Draft in my eyes or Burrow and Josh Jones.

You getting Niang in the 3rd is probably ideal though.
Reply/Quote
(03-08-2020, 09:12 AM)OSUfan Wrote: I absolutely agree on your take. I think many times people get so caught up in things such as 40 times that they use it to try and disprove something that is clearly shown on tape. I believe the tape on Baun absolutely shows that the mental aspects of the game allow him to play at a much faster level than he tested at for straight line speed.

Yep, happened to Orlando Brown. Bad combine pushed him to the 3rd. Tape shows he should have went much higher.

I was so mad when we passed on him in the 3rd, and then the Ravens took him...Ugh
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
Great draft. I wouldn't really change a thing - other than that 5th round pick - seems like a lot of guys have him going in round 2-3. But if he's there on the sim, you grab him.
Reply/Quote