Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
First Pick Simulator No Trade in the first round Mock
Well if you looked over my first mock in the simulator you would see that I traded back in the first round. In this mock I stayed with the 11th selection and this is what we got...…..

Round 1 - 11th Selection:

Devin White - 6'0" 237 - LB - LSU:

I would think that the majority would agree that coverage by our LBs has been a huge issue. With the release of Burfict it would appear that we are looking to revamp this LB corp and this would be a huge way to start. Can run with any TE or RB. Still learning the position as a converted RB but has shown to be a willing student.

If this coaching staff can get Jefferson up to speed as well then we could see the forming of an outstanding LB corp.

Round 2 - 10th Selection:

Jeffery Simmons - 6'3" 301 - DT - Mississippi State:

I struggled with this selection because of the 2016 incident he was involved in. The reports are that he has been a great team mate and trouble free since this incident so it is with caution that I made this selection. The kid is absolutely a disruptive force on the interior DL. If not for the 2016 incident then we are probably talking about a top 10 selection.  At this point given being trouble free for 2 years it is a gamble worth taking.

Round 3 - 8th Selection:

Trey Adams - 6'7" 327 - OT - Washington:

I struggled with this selection as well due to the injury history of Adams. However, the reports are that he is 100% medically cleared. The kid is a monster that could be plug and play at RT and someone that could easily slide to LT in the future or if there is an injury to Glen. Given the history of Glen a nice luxury to have.

Round 4 - 15th Selection:

Was not in love with any selection available and had an offer to trade with Atlanta and acquire another selection in the 5th.

Garrett Bradbury - 6'3" 306 - G/C - N.C. State:

Exceptional talent to be available at this point in the draft and would be shocked if he is actually there. However, if he is sprint to the podium. If he beats Price out at Center then Price is an outstanding OG. If Price keeps his spot then Bradbury is an outstanding OG as well. This would be huge in solidifying the interior OL.

Round 5 - 11th Selection:

Tyree Jackson - 6'7" 249 - QB - Buffalo:

Not a selection I make in previous years but with Taylor and Callahan in the house it is a gamble I take. Can these two young offensive minds harness and refine the raw talent in this kids right arm?

Round 5 - 14th Selection:

Max Crosby - 6'5" 255 - DE - E. Michigan:

A small school edge player that checks most of the boxes you are looking for in a pass rusher. Will probably need a season in an NFL weight room before he is more than a situational rusher but has the frame to put on some bulk and keep his quickness.

Round 6 - 10th Selection:

Emanuel Hall - 6'2" 201 - WR - Missouri:

This kid can take the top off of a defense. Needs to learn more of the route tree but great athleticism and burst. Can never have too many weapons and this kid could end up being a gem.

Round 6 - 25th Selection:

Sean Bunting - 6'0" 195 - CB - C. Michigan:

Good size and length for the position. Very good football speed. When you watch tape you see a kid with good ball skills that plays the ball and not the receiver. Crazy low completion % against him in 2018 (39%). Small school kid that could really blossom under NFL coaching,

Round 6 - 37th Selection:

Dontavius Russell - 6'3" 319 - DT - Auburn:

Just a solid football player. Needs to play with lower bad level but a very solid rotational candidate. Eats up blocks and stops the run.

Round 6 - 38th Selection:

Isaiah Johnson - 6'2" 208 - CB - Houston:

Size, speed, and length......all those boxes checked. Played as a press corner at the collegiate level. Needs some coaching to clean up some technique issues however his first two collegiate seasons were as a receiver so it would appear that he takes instruction well and should be able to continue to improve with more coaching.

Round 7 - 9th Selection:

Travis Homer - 5'10" 201 - RB - Miami:

He replaced Walton at Miami and will get to replace him in Cincinnati given the offseason issues of Walton. Homer is a solid all around back and excels in pass protection. More of an edge runner but also runs bigger than his size inside. Experienced punt team gunner as well so should find an early role on special teams.

There you have it. Honestly not sure which draft I like better. There is definitely are some more high risk selections here but they also carry huge upside especially if Trey Adams remains healthy. Could be the immediate RT and future franchise LT.
Reply/Quote
Trey Adams didnt declare for the draft hes going back to school for his final year. First Pick really needs to update.
I have the Heart of a Lion! I also have a massive fine and a lifetime ban from the Pittsburgh Zoo...

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(03-19-2019, 10:53 PM)Synric Wrote: Trey Adams didnt declare for the draft hes going back to school for his final year. First Pick really needs to update.

Well that really killed my draft then....lol. Good for him though a smart move. If he shows the same pre-injury form then he should be looking at the top half of the first as a selection.
Reply/Quote
I really like some of the players, but I think taking a player in 2 with a torn ACL would be a mistake if Taylor is gonna have any success in 2019. Bradbury will be gone by the second round and Trey Adams is returning to school this year. I like his teammate McGary in round two myself.
Reply/Quote
(03-19-2019, 10:53 PM)Synric Wrote: Trey Adams didnt declare for the draft hes going back to school for his final year. First Pick really needs to update.

Well given that I had a draft with a player returning to school I redrafted with the same criteria of staying put in the first even as much as I would love to see them trade back in most scenarios this year. Well, let me tell you the draft ended up WAY different than I anticipated. The first two selections I do not see being there with our picks but Lord have mercy if they are. This draft would put a smile on my face that you could not smack off of it!

So here it is...

1st Round - 11th Selection:

Josh Allen - 6'5" 262 - DE - Kentucky:

I could not get this selection in fast enough. Allen could end up being a better pass rusher than Nick Bosa when things are said and done and yes that is coming from a huge Buckeyes fan. Winner of the Bednarik and Nagurski awards. Elite speed and a frame that can add mass without losing that speed. Ability to drop into coverage as well. This kid is only going to get bigger and stronger!

2nd Round - 10th Selection:

T.J. Hockenson - 6'5" 251 - TE - Iowa:

What do you give the two young offensive minds of Taylor and Callahan? Shiny new toys to play with. Hockenson looks like he may end up being better than a 100% healthy Eifert. Do I dare mention him in the same sentence as Kelce? John Mackey Award winner. Already a good blocker on the line and a matchup nightmare as a receiver. If he is still here by some chance Run to the podium!

3rd Round - 8th Selection:

Dalton Risner - 6'5" 312 - OT- Kansas State:

I believe Risner is plug and play from day 1 at RT but if he continues to develop his game as he has shown could rather easily slide to LT if Glen is injured or moves on. Risner is ultra consistent and when you watch film on him you see the same player on virtually every play from scrimmage. Does not show much up and down in effort or technique. Just a good solid OT prospect that I would be thrilled to land at this point in the draft.

4th Round - 8th Selection:

Michael Deiter - 6'5" 309 - G/C - Wisconsin:

Deiter , an Ohio native, is a very consistent interior OL prospect. Capable of playing any interior line position. Will not wow you with athleticism but as with most Wisconsin OL prospects is well coached and uses very sound technique. Played in a Pro style rushing attack at Wisconsin. 2nd team All American with LT experience as well. I think in Deiter you have a guy that could step into either OT position in an emergency as well.

5th Round - 11th Selection:

Jamel Dean - 6'1" 206 - CB - Auburn;

Multiple knee injuries is the only reason you find Dean available outside of the 2nd round. Excellent size, speed, length combination. Not scheme dependent. Needs to clean up hands but that should come with NFL coaching. Good ball skills and seems to contest every ball thrown in his direction. As long as he stays healthy he could be a elite boundary CB.

6th Round - 10th Selection:

Flat has the ability to take the top off of a defense! What he is going to have to prove is that he has the ability to run the entire route tree at the NFL level. Another shiny new toy for these two young minds to play with. Has the quickness and ability to separate on shorter routes but is going to have to do it with more consistency.

6th Round - 25th Selection:

Greg Gaines - 6'1" 312 - DT - Washington:

Would have liked to have had an interior DL prior to now but value has not been there with what else was on the board. With Gaines you get a high motor extremely strong at the point of contact run stuffing brute. May not offer a lot in the pass rush department but a good rotational NT that can stop the run which this defense needed help with.

6th Round - 37th Selection:

Joe Giles-Harris - 6'2' 234 - LB - Duke:

Outside of Devin White I am not excited by the LBs in this draft. However, I really like the value of Giles-Harris at this point. I think in Giles-Harris you get another very heady and instinctive LB from Duke like you have in Rey. I do think that Giles-Harris actually could be a better LB than Rey and I feel he is more athletic. Inside/out ability.

6th Round - 38th Selection:

A very raw prospect with elite size, speed, length combination. Played first two collegiate seasons as a WR so to see the progress he has shown in changing positions is outstanding. It would appear that he is very coachable and has shown nothing that would make one believe that he will not continue to progress at the CB position. Played press corner and is experienced as a punt gunner which could be valuable to our special teams units.

6th Round - 40th Selection:

Very powerful block eating run stuffer. If NFL coaches can get him to play with lower pad level then he could be an excellent rotational DT.

7th Round - 9th Selection:

Well it looks like just as he did at Miami that Homer gets to replace Mark Walton again. Exceptional pass protector. Nothing jumps out about the game of Homer as he is just a pretty consistent player with a pretty good all around game. Should be a nice fit in a rotation.

And there you have it and I believe everyone of these guys are actually entering the draft!
Reply/Quote

A few people do - I got a draft magazine the other day that has him listed.
Reply/Quote
(03-22-2019, 12:48 PM)OSUfan Wrote: Well given that I had a draft with a player returning to school I redrafted with the same criteria of staying put in the first even as much as I would love to see them trade back in most scenarios this year. Well, let me tell you the draft ended up WAY different than I anticipated. The first two selections I do not see being there with our picks but Lord have mercy if they are. This draft would put a smile on my face that you could not smack off of it!

So here it is...

I could not get this selection in fast enough. Allen could end up being a better pass rusher than Nick Bosa when things are said and done and yes that is coming from a huge Buckeyes fan. Winner of the Bednarik and Nagurski awards. Elite speed and a frame that can add mass without losing that speed. Ability to drop into coverage as well. This kid is only going to get bigger and stronger!

What do you give the two young offensive minds of Taylor and Callahan? Shiny new toys to play with. Hockenson looks like he may end up being better than a 100% healthy Eifert. Do I dare mention him in the same sentence as Kelce? John Mackey Award winner. Already a good blocker on the line and a matchup nightmare as a receiver. If he is still here by some chance Run to the podium!

I believe Risner is plug and play from day 1 at RT but if he continues to develop his game as he has shown could rather easily slide to LT if Glen is injured or moves on. Risner is ultra consistent and when you watch film on him you see the same player on virtually every play from scrimmage. Does not show much up and down in effort or technique. Just a good solid OT prospect that I would be thrilled to land at this point in the draft.

Deiter , an Ohio native, is a very consistent interior OL prospect. Capable of playing any interior line position. Will not wow you with athleticism but as with most Wisconsin OL prospects is well coached and uses very sound technique. Played in a Pro style rushing attack at Wisconsin. 2nd team All American with LT experience as well. I think in Deiter you have a guy that could step into either OT position in an emergency as well.

Multiple knee injuries is the only reason you find Dean available outside of the 2nd round. Excellent size, speed, length combination. Not scheme dependent. Needs to clean up hands but that should come with NFL coaching. Good ball skills and seems to contest every ball thrown in his direction. As long as he stays healthy he could be a elite boundary CB.

Flat has the ability to take the top off of a defense! What he is going to have to prove is that he has the ability to run the entire route tree at the NFL level. Another shiny new toy for these two young minds to play with. Has the quickness and ability to separate on shorter routes but is going to have to do it with more consistency.

Would have liked to have had an interior DL prior to now but value has not been there with what else was on the board. With Gaines you get a high motor extremely strong at the point of contact run stuffing brute. May not offer a lot in the pass rush department but a good rotational NT that can stop the run which this defense needed help with.

Outside of Devin White I am not excited by the LBs in this draft. However, I really like the value of Giles-Harris at this point. I think in Giles-Harris you get another very heady and instinctive LB from Duke like you have in Rey. I do think that Giles-Harris actually could be a better LB than Rey and I feel he is more athletic. Inside/out ability.

A very raw prospect with elite size, speed, length combination. Played first two collegiate seasons as a WR so to see the progress he has shown in changing positions is outstanding. It would appear that he is very coachable and has shown nothing that would make one believe that he will not continue to progress at the CB position. Played press corner and is experienced as a punt gunner which could be valuable to our special teams units.

Very powerful block eating run stuffer. If NFL coaches can get him to play with lower pad level then he could be an excellent rotational DT.

Well it looks like just as he did at Miami that Homer gets to replace Mark Walton again. Exceptional pass protector. Nothing jumps out about the game of Homer as he is just a pretty consistent player with a pretty good all around game. Should be a nice fit in a rotation.

And there you have it and I believe everyone of these guys are actually entering the draft!

Well done!  You even got Vinny Rey 2.0 from Duke!  Seriously, he's a reliable guy that can cover.  
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(03-22-2019, 12:48 PM)OSUfan Wrote: Well given that I had a draft with a player returning to school I redrafted with the same criteria of staying put in the first even as much as I would love to see them trade back in most scenarios this year. Well, let me tell you the draft ended up WAY different than I anticipated. The first two selections I do not see being there with our picks but Lord have mercy if they are. This draft would put a smile on my face that you could not smack off of it!

So here it is...

Really like this mock! I do have reservations about Risner being there in the 3rd rd though. Also I think Gaines could be a sleeper pick. Guy is country strong as an ox! I'd compare him with Kyle Williams.
Reply/Quote