Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
First Play Of The Season?
Tyler Shelvin runs the opening kickoff all the way back for a TD!
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(05-16-2021, 03:27 PM)Joelist Wrote: Tyler Shelvin runs the opening kickoff all the way back for a TD!

That would be pretty epic!  

Then, we stop them, get the ball at the 50 or our own 40 after the punt, go play-action to Chase and set the tone that we're going to dominate all season!
Reply/Quote
False start on Jonah Williams... Mixon stuffed for a minimal gain on the ensuing play.

75 yard TD pass to Justin Jefferson if Minnesota receives the ball first.
I'm gonna break every record they've got. I'm tellin' you right now. I don't know how I'm gonna do it, but it's goin' to get done.

- Ja'Marr Chase 
  April 2021
Reply/Quote
(05-15-2021, 07:00 PM)BFritz21 Wrote: I know it's a long ways off and a lot can happen between now and then in terms of free agents, player improvements, etc., but I was thinking about this and figured it would be a nice topic to have.

Say we win the toss and elect to take the ball.  The kickoff goes out-of-bounds and we get the ball at the 25.

What's your first play?  

The traditional handoff to Mixon off-tackle?

Drop back pass from Burrow with 7 to 10 yard routes?

Do you go big with a play-action fake to Mixon and then unload a deep ball to Chase?

That last one has my vote to start the new era off right!  Think about how pumped that would get the fanbase!

The possible downsides to that, obviously, are an incomplete pass and we start off with no momentum, an interception, or Burrow gets sacked.  

It would obviously depend on how well our line comes together in the offseason to find out whether or not we'd trust them, but I think the upside of that would outweigh the possibility of an incompletion.  

What if our first play comes after they punt on their first series and we get the ball at our own 40 or the 50?  

Or we stop them but end up with the ball on our own 25?

What if they score first?

Run, Mixon behind Carman for a 6 yard gain.
Reply/Quote
(05-15-2021, 07:00 PM)BFritz21 Wrote: I know it's a long ways off and a lot can happen between now and then in terms of free agents, player improvements, etc., but I was thinking about this and figured it would be a nice topic to have.

Say we win the toss and elect to take the ball.  The kickoff goes out-of-bounds and we get the ball at the 25.

What's your first play?  

The traditional handoff to Mixon off-tackle?

Drop back pass from Burrow with 7 to 10 yard routes?

Do you go big with a play-action fake to Mixon and then unload a deep ball to Chase?

That last one has my vote to start the new era off right!  Think about how pumped that would get the fanbase!

The possible downsides to that, obviously, are an incomplete pass and we start off with no momentum, an interception, or Burrow gets sacked.  

It would obviously depend on how well our line comes together in the offseason to find out whether or not we'd trust them, but I think the upside of that would outweigh the possibility of an incompletion.  

What if our first play comes after they punt on their first series and we get the ball at our own 40 or the 50?  

Or we stop them but end up with the ball on our own 25?

What if they score first?

Burrow Calls Heads

The new Kicker Kicks the Ball off
Reply/Quote
(05-16-2021, 03:27 PM)Joelist Wrote: Tyler Shelvin runs the opening kickoff all the way back for a TD!

and that ends the first qtr
Reply/Quote
(05-17-2021, 12:51 PM)Nate (formerly eliminate08) Wrote: Run, Mixon behind Carman for a 6 yard gain.

That wouldn't be a bad start because it comes out and just shows dominance and gives the team their first shot of energy.

That's the only problem with my play action idea because, if it's incomplete, and we run on second down and get stopped, our tires get deflated and it might be tough to get going.
Reply/Quote
Statue of Liberty slash double reverse for a loss of 5 yds.

Actually though see Burrow hitting Boyd on a slant for 7 yd gain

The water tastes funny when you're far from your home,
yet it's only the thirsty that hunger to roam. 
          Roam the Jungle !
Reply/Quote
(05-17-2021, 08:57 PM)Go Cards Wrote: Statue of Liberty slash double reverse for a loss of 5 yds.

Actually though see Burrow hitting Boyd on a slant for 7 yd gain

That might be the smart play and because they'd have their backers ready to get in the lanes on Chase's side and would have the safeties shadowing him, which would leave Boyd wide open on the slant to the other side.  

That might also be a smart chess move to let teams know that we're not just going to rely on Chase.  

Good idea ThumbsUp
Reply/Quote
There are butterflies every first play of the season. I think the Bengals go conservative and run Mixon up the middle for a few yards. The second play will also be Mixon up the middle. Then the fun begins.
Who Dey!  Tiger
Reply/Quote
(05-18-2021, 08:56 AM)guyofthetiger Wrote: There are butterflies every first play of the season. I think the Bengals go conservative and run Mixon up the middle for a few yards. The second play will also be Mixon up the middle. Then the fun begins.

3rd play = shovel pass?  

4th play = punt?   

we are bringing back the glory days.
Reply/Quote
Mike Brown stares at the field with intensity wondering where the players are only to be interrupted by his daughter Katie as she says "Dad your facing the parking lot"

Play ends... Mike remains bullish and continues to look at the parking lot hoping the players move the game there.
Reply/Quote
Run to the right side for 5 yards. Solid opening play
Reply/Quote
Check down underneath to Mixon for big yards.
Reply/Quote
Mixon for about 2 yards. Shoulda passed the ball.
Reply/Quote
Play action pass, fake to Mixon then JB hits Higgins for 12 yards on a slant.
Reply/Quote

then the game goes into a delay while the trainers give him CPR

Fueled by the pursuit of greatness.

Reply/Quote
(05-16-2021, 02:04 PM)Sanforbd Wrote: Fumbled snap, defensive touchdown. Bengals 0-7

I clicked on this thread to give a more optimistic call: Billy Price high snap, safety.
Reply/Quote
(05-18-2021, 11:27 AM)TJHoushmandzadeh Wrote: I clicked on this thread to give a more optimistic call: Billy Price high snap, safety.

I'm even more optimistic..defender gets tackled at the 1..Our D stuffs them, picks up a fumble and Bengals ball, 1st and 10 @ the one..  Go team!  
In the immortal words of my old man, "Wait'll you get to be my age!"

Chicago sounds rough to the maker of verse, but the one comfort we have is Cincinnati sounds worse. ~Oliver Wendal Holmes Sr.

Reply/Quote
(05-17-2021, 09:04 PM)BFritz21 Wrote: That might be the smart play and because they'd have their backers ready to get in the lanes on Chase's side and would have the safeties shadowing him, which would leave Boyd wide open on the slant to the other side.  

That might also be a smart chess move to let teams know that we're not just going to rely on Chase.  

Good idea ThumbsUp

After a 40 yrd KO return by Wilson, Burrow play action to Mixon and hits Chase over the middle breaks a couple of tackles and takes it to the house. GO BIG OR GO HOME. ZT needs to get this party started early. 
Reply/Quote