Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
First Round Prospects You'd Avoid At All Costs
Brian Thomas, Adonai Mitchell, Xavier Worthy: explosive players who can take to top off the defense, but we're trying to find a #2(eventually) and #3, so IMO the value isn't there.
Any OT over 340 lb. scare me. (Yes I know we have them on the team now) Guys look great in college because they're long and strong, but can't keep up with NFL edges, and always seem to end up injured. So Latham, Mims. Potential in OL draftees doesn't work out for us so add Guyton.
Any QB, RB, LB, S due to need.
Bengals don't draft DEs under 260. Carl Lawson was small at 261. Latu is the heaviest in round 1 at 259.
Reply/Quote
IDK i think a Center has High value on the OL and Jackson powers could be the Centerpiece of the OL for the next decade that is worth a 1st round pick.
Reply/Quote
(04-10-2024, 06:47 PM)SunsetBengal Wrote: These are the top 20 OT prospects as ranked and rated by everyone's beloved PFF service.

5. Alt  90.7
12. Fuaga 88.2
14. Fautanu 75.5
18. Fashanu 78.8
19. Latham 81.9
22. Mims 75.6
25. Barton 75.9
30. Guyton 63.7
40. Morgan 83.5
45. Suamataia 67.5
57. Amegadjie 89.5
78. Fisher 71.1
90. Paul 81.1
96. Puni 80.6
110. Goncalves 72.2
130. Jones 75.2
142. Laumea 65.4
143. Adams 65.6
152 Rosegarten 71.0
168. Foster 84.2

Does anything about that list stand out to you? I mean, other than the fact that his on field performance grade was the worst of any Tackle prospect in the PFF top 20? Are they simply basing everything off of potential, because his on the field performance says he's not a 1st round guy, in fact he even looks like a bit of an anomaly on the PFF big board as the #30 prospect.

With that said, I'm still hoping that Fuaga makes it to #18.

In fairness, Guyton is very raw, starting out as a DT and moving to H-back and finally T at TCU before transferring to Oklahoma.  He's very much a work in progress.  

He was a kid that was graded as a 2nd rounder due to his incredible traits, but shot up into the 1st due to a very impressive Senior Bowl where he looked more polished than he did on his college tape.  Still had a couple of rough reps, but extremely good, overall.  Beyond the obvious pass pro talent, he has tremendous range on pulls and reach blocks, the latter being huge for a team that wants to run wide zone a lot.

Honestly, all of the top four RT prospects are great, but they all have their concerns.  Latham has refused to do practically anything during the off-season and there's the long line of bust Alabama OL and kids going into the draft injured out of that program.  Fuaga is very short armed for a T, and while folks gloss over it, only a couple of T's with sub 34" arms have made the Pro Bowl in the last 6 years.  Mims is always hurt.  And Guyton is the rawest of the four.  
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(04-11-2024, 09:05 AM)XenoMorph Wrote: IDK i think a Center has High value on the OL and Jackson powers   could be the Centerpiece of the OL for the next decade that is worth a 1st round pick.

hes falling down boards because the rumor is he has degenerative medical issues

[Image: giphy.gif]
Reply/Quote
(04-10-2024, 05:03 PM)CJD Wrote: Mims has been my preferred choice at 18 for the last few weeks. With Brown, we no longer need a day 1 starter, so Mim's experience does not scare me that much. Plus, all reports indicate that when he is on the field, he plays well beyond his experience.

In my opinion, the only reason we have a shot at drafting him is because of that lack of experience. With his size, quality of play, athleticism (9.57 RAS) and youth (turning 22 in October), if he had played a full season, people would grade him above everyone but maybe Alt. And the injury he suffered was not a wear and tear injury or anything, it was just a freak accident. So it shouldn't lend to any concerns about injuries.

I say take the player with the highest upside and that, to me, is Mims.

Completely agree, I think we would be getting a major steal at 18 if we take Mims. Like you say, in another Draft where this guy actually played a
full season or two Mims would be the #1 OL taken. He is more physical than Alt, he is more athletic than Alt, he is bigger than Alt and he is just more
talented than any other OL in this class. Mims just needs snaps, he looks polished when playing in his little amount of snaps so I don't think Pollack 
could ruin him especially learning from proven top veterans in Trent and Orlando Brown along side Ted Karras as a rookie LG.

You heard it, if we draft Mims, he starts instantly in place of Volson at LG while preparing to take over the RT role after Trent Brown leaves or when 
he most likely gets injured during the season. With Mims athleticism he can play all over the line except Center and is one heck of puller.
Reply/Quote
(04-11-2024, 01:23 PM)Okeana Wrote: hes falling down boards because the rumor is he has degenerative medical issues

oh damn
Reply/Quote
(04-11-2024, 01:23 PM)Okeana Wrote: hes falling down boards because the rumor is he has degenerative medical issues

Powers-Johnson? Damn that ain't cool, makes Barton's stock that much more valuable. 
Reply/Quote

Dang, I'm a huge JPJ fan and I've seen nothing about a degenerative issue. Where did you hear this? 
Reply/Quote
(04-13-2024, 10:30 AM)WhoDeyK Wrote: Dang, I'm a huge JPJ fan and I've seen nothing about a degenerative issue. Where did you hear this? 

I didn't hear anything until Dane Brugler mentioned some medicals in The Beast.

Quote:STRENGTHS: Has an NFL frame with above-average body twitch and snap-to-step quickness … efficient lateral shuffle to answer gap shooters (allowed zero sacks and only one pressure in 2023) … plays with a firm base and fierce hands to refit and stay centered in his pass-protection anchor … gets the most out of his average length and looks to remove defenders from their feet (led Oregon with 37 knockdowns in 2023) … quick to turn or wall off defenders i n the run game … has the functional range to get out in front on screens and second-level work-ups … alert versus defensive fronts and plays assignment sound … competes with a mean streak, and his fight-or-flight response is to match the opponent’s authority … the Oregon coaching staff raves about his toughness and dedication to his craft … one of the youngest offensive linemen in this draft class but carries himself like a veteran … has experience at all three interior line positions (893 snaps at center, 430 at right guard, 27 at left guard). 

WEAKNESSES: Sets tall at times with inconsistent knee bend … average hip roll and doesn’t consistently drive defenders off the ball … has the range to reach his blocking points but needs to get there with urgency and timing as well … will strengthen his sustain skills with improved post-contact leverage and mechanics … highly penalized as a junior, drawing eight flags (five false starts, two ineligible downfield and one unsportsmanlike conduct) … the medicals will be important after he battled multiple injuries, including groin and hip issues in 2023 along with multiple concussions over his career … only one full season of starting experience (just 16 starts on offense at Oregon). 

SUMMARY: A one-year starter at Oregon, Powers-Johnson emerged as a standout center this past season in offensive coordinator Will Stein’s zone-read, balanced attack. After filling in at guard his first two seasons, he won the starting center job in 2023 and became the fifth unanimous All-American in school history and first Pac-12 player to win the Rimington Award as the nation’s top center. A multi-sport athlete growing up, Powers-Johnson plays light on his feet in pass protection and as a run blocker, with the natural movement skills and stability at contact to torque and fend off defenders. With his contact balance and comp osure, he rarely appears overwhelmed on tape, although the defensive line play in the NFL is a giant leap ahead of what he saw in the Pac -12. Overall, Powers-Johnson’s inexperience is reflected in his technique, but he offers a fantastic combination of size, athleticism and toughness, with the skill set that translates to both center and guard. His game reminds me of Ryan Kelly, who won the Rimington Award at Alabama before becoming a first-round pick in 2016. 
 GRADE: 1st-2nd Round (No. 23 overall)
I have the Heart of a Lion! I also have a massive fine and a lifetime ban from the Pittsburgh Zoo...

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
Oh this is easy… BY FAR MIMS. I wouldn’t touch him with a 20 foot pole.
Reply/Quote
(04-13-2024, 01:08 PM)Jpoore Wrote: Oh this is easy… BY FAR MIMS. I wouldn’t touch him with a 20 foot pole.

Why is that?
Reply/Quote
(04-13-2024, 01:23 PM)CJD Wrote: Why is that?

Was wondering the same thing. I was like this at the beginning as I said because of the lack of snaps, but no one can deny what Mims 
puts on the field and that is great balance, with quick feet, impressive strength and an imposing force at 6'7" 340 pounds. Mims could 
play at LG instantly giving us a starter over Volson unlike Latham or Guyton who are primarily RT's and that is it.
Reply/Quote