Thread Rating:
  • 2 Vote(s) - 1 Average
What Do You Believe?
(01-16-2020, 05:05 PM)samhain Wrote: It's open ended at this point outside of the just drafting Burrow part.  

This is a huge opportunity for this freak show of an ownership group to prove that they actually care about winning.  They can do one of two things.  The first would be drafting Burrow and then making the mistake of thinking that they are currently constructed to win with that addition alone.  That's really moronic, but I feel it's pretty likely.  They are some lazy shits, so the impact Burrow will have with fans and the ease of being rewarded with such a high-profile player for their recent ineptitude are a perfect reason for them to sit on their hands in free agency.  Burrow will shield them from any other real action, and all they had to do was be awful to luck into him.  

The second would be to continue to build the line, get some younger receivers, and not rely on guys that haven't played a half season since 2018 to get better.  Don't rely on a couple of games of Fred Johnson and Mike Jordan being good as evidence that you can jack off until the draft when the league year starts.  To hear Hobson talk, the verdict is in, and we have Walter Jones and Willie Anderson on the roster right now after a fortuitous dead cat bounce.  Bullshit.  

The Green thing is a Bungle in the making, as well,  They seem determined to bring him back.  If they pay him 15 plus per for 3 seasons, they're nuts.  They need new blood in the WR group.  Green and Ross can't be counted on at all.  If this is what they're pinning their hopes on to surround Burrow with enough to succeed, then the potential for failure is high, IMO.  

The Burrow honeymoon will be brief and disappointing if they apply bungle logic to it.  Until they don't, that's what I expect.

Your first scenario is probably spot on.  And as you say, they are lazy so I think they will sign AJ to a big contract because that will eat up a nice chunk of cap space which will mean less free agents they have to work to bring in.  They sign their own not out of loyalty, but because it's the easy route.  
“History teaches that grave threats to liberty often come in times of urgency, when constitutional rights seem too extravagant to endure.”-Thurgood Marshall

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
SHOW ME

Marvin aka Black Jesus, is long gone, and with him the only governor on the Family's natural inclination to do as little as possible while watching the NFL shared revenue roll in. It'll be years, if ever, before Zac earns the level of partnership Marvin had. Not to mention his input on team-building, which he was really good at.

My hope is that the Kid's talent and take no prisoners attitude is so compelling and infectious that it will melt the ice blocks surrounding their hearts, and that they will try harder than they ever have before. Didja notice, as well, that he doesn't take crap from anyone, head coach included? Here's hoping he won't stand for a bunch of BS from Brown, either.

My faint hope is number one. Really just a puncher's chance.
My well founded fear, based on the Family's behavior BM and AT, is number 2.

(BM=Before Marvin, AT is After Termination)
Go Benton Panthers!!
Reply/Quote
(01-16-2020, 05:55 PM)Crazyjdawg Wrote: It'll likely be somewhere between 1 and 2.

WhoDey2 This is my thought also. I really don't think it's going to be as bad as some people think... 
The only thing I hate worse than Pittsburgh football...

...is Pittsburgh fans!!

SLIM--gone, but never forgotten...

Original Bengals message boards
Rep Points: 4726

Reply/Quote
(01-17-2020, 11:48 AM)michaelsean Wrote: Your first scenario is probably spot on.  And as you say, they are lazy so I think they will sign AJ to a big contract because that will eat up a nice chunk of cap space which will mean less free agents they have to work to bring in.  They sign their own not out of loyalty, but because it's the easy route.  

I guess you never know.  With Glenn and his 9 plus mil almost certainly gone and Andy and his 17 likely gone, they'll have a ton of cap.  Even if AJ comes back at a high cost and they give decent deals to Billings, Dennard, and Eifert, they'll still have enough to get a couple of decent B grade free agents with a bit left over after.  

IMO it would be wise to snag a couple of defensive guys, ie linebackers in FA, then surround Burrow with young offensive players early in the draft.  This happened with Palmer and Dalton, and it worked out pretty well both times.  

Perhaps the talk is genuine and they were giving the new staff a year to evaluate.  Maybe they'll have a better handle on what Taylor's people want and actually go get it.  Time will tell.  After 2-14 and the addition of a player that will be the face of this team for the next 10 years, a typical Bengal offseason would be especially disappointing.
Reply/Quote
(01-19-2020, 04:43 PM)samhain Wrote: I guess you never know.  With Glenn and his 9 plus mil almost certainly gone and Andy and his 17 likely gone, they'll have a ton of cap.  Even if AJ comes back at a high cost and they give decent deals to Billings, Dennard, and Eifert, they'll still have enough to get a couple of decent B grade free agents with a bit left over after.  

IMO it would be wise to snag a couple of defensive guys, ie linebackers in FA, then surround Burrow with young offensive players early in the draft.  This happened with Palmer and Dalton, and it worked out pretty well both times.  

Perhaps the talk is genuine and they were giving the new staff a year to evaluate.  Maybe they'll have a better handle on what Taylor's people want and actually go get it.  Time will tell.  After 2-14 and the addition of a player that will be the face of this team for the next 10 years, a typical Bengal offseason would be especially disappointing.

See I don’t think Andy will be gone. They don’t want to have to bust their butts just to get to the cap floor. And now that you have to keep room in the cap for incentives, they’ll start throwing a lot of incentives in there to eat cap. This is a 9:00-5:00 crew.
“History teaches that grave threats to liberty often come in times of urgency, when constitutional rights seem too extravagant to endure.”-Thurgood Marshall

Reply/Quote