Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
First Time Game Against The Steelers Fact
Since the year 2000 we have only beaten the Steelers five times in the game opener against them that season. Now that is probably no surprise to any of us hard-core fans but what I did find very interesting was out of those seasons, four of the five times we were division champions. The only time we weren’t was in the 2006 season and arguably we should’ve made it to the playoffs that year too if it wasn’t for the meltdown at the end of the season.

So I guess the season opener against them is more important than you think if you go by history….
Reply/Quote
(09-24-2021, 05:40 PM)GodFather Wrote: . The only time we weren’t was in the 2006 season and arguably we should’ve made it to the playoffs that year too if it wasn’t for the meltdown at the end of the season.

I know it was not the playoffs like 2015, but the '06 meltdown was back-to-back unbelievable heartbreaking losses (miss XP, Missed chip shot FG by very accurate kicker).  Win either one of those and we go to the playoffs.
Reply/Quote
(09-24-2021, 07:33 PM)fredtoast Wrote: I know it was not the playoffs like 2015, but the '06 meltdown was back-to-back unbelievable heartbreaking losses (miss XP, Missed chip shot FG by very accurate kicker).  Win either one of those and we go to the playoffs.

The 2006 season was painful. We lost the last three games. Just melted down at the end. Lost to Colts in week 15 16-34. Then missed that chip shot you mentioned against the Broncos 23-24. And the worst of it all was losing OT to the Steelers who were just playing spoilers 17-23. 

I just remember before that we were on a 4 game winning streak and looked great. The Saints game was especially fun to watch.
Reply/Quote
(09-24-2021, 08:24 PM)GodFather Wrote: The 2006 season was painful. We lost the last three games. Just melted down at the end. Lost to Colts in week 15 16-34. Then missed that chip shot you mentioned against the Broncos 23-24. And the worst of it all was losing OT to the Steelers who were just playing spoilers 17-23. 

I just remember before that we were on a 4 game winning streak and looked great. The Saints game was especially fun to watch.

I think the chip shot you are talking about was against the steelers. The week before, against Denver, they missed the XP after getting the 'tying' TD at the end of the game, then Graham lined up for a chip shot FG at the end of regulation against the steelers and missed it at the gun. 

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]

"The measure of a man's intelligence can be seen in the length of his argument."
Reply/Quote