Thread Rating:
  • 2 Vote(s) - 3 Average
First game loss may help team this year
(09-13-2022, 02:21 PM)BurrowTheGoat Wrote: Been a Bengals fan for 25 years so I certainly understand how we usually choke in games we shouldn't.  With this team though I don't think that's gonna be a thing anymore.  Hope I'm right. 

It literally just was a thing.
I'm gonna break every record they've got. I'm tellin' you right now. I don't know how I'm gonna do it, but it's goin' to get done.

- Ja'Marr Chase 
  April 2021
Reply/Quote
Week 1 was pretty wild overall. The Rams, Packers, Cardinals and Patriots all looked awful. The Broncos lost to Geno Smith, the 49ers lost by 9 to a team with no offense and the Colts were getting trounced 20-3 by the Texans before ending in a tie.

It's just very hard to take much of anything away from week 1 games in terms of what teams are or what they will do.
Reply/Quote
(09-13-2022, 02:22 PM)TigerStripes Wrote: I agree for the most part, except the loss is a division game, and the win is a non-conference one.  That's what "irks" me the most.  I know we shouldn't be considering "playoff seeding" in week one of the season, but that's where my mind goes with the talent on this team.  Still ticked.  To have so much go so wrong, and still a hurt long snapper from making the XP at the end of regulation to win the game.....  GRRRRRRR

Yep
Romo “ so impressed with Zac ...1 of the best in the NFL… they are just fundamentally sound. Taylor the best winning % in the Playoffs of current coaches. Joe Burrow” Zac is the best head coach in the NFL & that gives me a lot of confidence." Taylor led the Bengals to their first playoff win since 1990, ending the longest active drought in the four major North American sports, en and appeared in Super Bowl LVI, the first since 1988.

Reply/Quote
(09-13-2022, 02:22 PM)TigerStripes Wrote: I agree for the most part, except the loss is a division game, and the win is a non-conference one.  That's what "irks" me the most.  I know we shouldn't be considering "playoff seeding" in week one of the season, but that's where my mind goes with the talent on this team.  Still ticked.  To have so much go so wrong, and still a hurt long snapper from making the XP at the end of regulation to win the game.....  GRRRRRRR

Yep
Romo “ so impressed with Zac ...1 of the best in the NFL… they are just fundamentally sound. Taylor the best winning % in the Playoffs of current coaches. Joe Burrow” Zac is the best head coach in the NFL & that gives me a lot of confidence." Taylor led the Bengals to their first playoff win since 1990, ending the longest active drought in the four major North American sports, en and appeared in Super Bowl LVI, the first since 1988.

Reply/Quote
It stings because the Bengals are better than the Steelers, and the need to accumulate division wins is heavy this season. Who knows how they'll fare vs the Browns and Ravens this year? These games can go any which way, just as things did when the Bengals played a far better Pittsburgh team at the end of 2020 and yet still won even with Finley under center. Pittsburgh's most recent offense could barely complete a forward pass this past Sunday, and somehow the Bengals gave a win a way. I can't help but think that will haunt them later in the year.

The only positive I see is the fact that they now know that they have their work cut out for them when it comes to preparation and reps. The idea that this was some veteran squad that has won for years and didn't need a tune up was misguided. I think that kind of thinking is firmly in the past after Sunday.
Reply/Quote
(09-13-2022, 02:26 PM)Frank Booth Wrote: you could easily make the argument that the bengals beat themselves that game.

Naw Mike White made us his *****.

Idk what we were thinking
-Housh
Reply/Quote
That loss should certainly serve as a good wake up call for the Bengals.

But it was a division loss that definitely stings right now, but we just have to hope it does not leave a mark in the long run.

Believe the Bengals will respond well though.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]

The water tastes funny when you're far from your home,
yet it's only the thirsty that hunger to roam. 
          Roam the Jungle !
Reply/Quote
(09-13-2022, 02:32 PM)Bengalholic Wrote: Week 1 was pretty wild overall. The Rams, Packers, Cardinals and Patriots all looked awful. The Broncos lost to Geno Smith, the 49ers lost by 9 to a team with no offense and the Colts were getting trounced 20-3 by the Texans before ending in a tie.

It's just very hard to take much of anything away from week 1 games in terms of what teams are or what they will do.

So what you're saying, is we shouldn't fire our Super Bowl coach for this loss?  Shocked
Reply/Quote
(09-14-2022, 12:43 AM)Go Cards Wrote: That loss should certainly serve as a good wake up call for the Bengals.

But it was a division loss that definitely stings right now, but we just have to hope it does not leave a mark in the long run.

Believe the Bengals will respond well though.

I heard a Stealers fan call in to Sirius yesterday who had a very good take on this game and stated he would rather have taken the "L" and had a healthy Watt and Harris going forward than getting the win and losing Watt for anywhere from 4-6 weeks, then having him play hobbled. Harris is reportedly ok, but this is the 2nd time already this season (injured in pre-season) and I don't see him making it very far into the season with the Lis Franc sprain. WIthout Harris and Watt, Pissburgh's season is already over. 
Reply/Quote
(09-13-2022, 01:59 AM)guyofthetiger Wrote: How many times have you seen a good team get a loss early and recover with a decent season? Now the Bengals have eaten humble pie and will get down to business at practices. The pressure of an undefeated season is off their back. I'm looking for a good year now that the formalities are out of the way. lol

I get your post, and I will add that the steelers have virtually no chance of getting CJ stroud now :)
Reply/Quote
Meh, it's just one loss and all that, but I thought this team and coach was beyond all this nonsense where we have to lose and have to be put in our place and have to have a team like the Steelers go upside our heads for us to buckle down and get our crap together.

With that being said, I do find the fandom aspect of thoughts like this amusing.

This loss was just what we needed!
Do you hope they lose to the Cowboys this week to further humble and focus them?
Dear god, no....no more losing...they've lost JUST enough for it to be good for them! Any additional losing to teams they should beat would be bad starrrrtinnnng.......now.
Reply/Quote
They shouldn't have changed the name of the Stadium....
#WhoDey
#RuleTheJungle
#TheyGottaPlayUs
#WeAreYourSuperBowl

Reply/Quote
There's no such thing as a good loss unless it's Week 17-18 and you're one loss away from getting the 1st overall pick.

[Image: jamarr-chase.gif]
Reply/Quote
(09-13-2022, 02:32 PM)Bengalholic Wrote: Week 1 was pretty wild overall. The Rams, Packers, Cardinals and Patriots all looked awful. The Broncos lost to Geno Smith, the 49ers lost by 9 to a team with no offense and the Colts were getting trounced 20-3 by the Texans before ending in a tie.

This. I get everyone being down too especially after a loss in Division to the frickin' stealin' bastids but it is hard to take much 
away from a lot of what went down last weekend. I cannot speak for anyone else but I have to stay positive and we almost 
pulled off the improbable in a come back win that no team has ever done being minus 5 in turnover differential in one game...
Reply/Quote