Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
First pick of the draft(s) anyone?
Not that I have any faith whatsoever that the Bungles would ever draft and develop the first overall pick of any draft worth a hoot, but the first pick of the draft for the better part of the past decade has been Cleveland's super bowl and now they're on the precipice of not having the first pick unless they trade up for it (which is not beyond the realm of possibility) .
So...instead of thinking that this (by this I mean just about every season) might be our year just scrap that thinking in favor of just aiming for the first overall pick every year so that every season we'll have at least something to hang our collective hats on.. 
See where I'm going with this?  We pretty much know that we ain't gonna win a championship with Mikey & company and we pretty much know we ain't gonna win a playoff game either. The best we've been able to realistically hope for is to win a divisional championship which as we all know is the equivalent of , well..nothing in Bungleville.. 
So instead of predetermined disappointment we've been subjected to since the death of Paul Brown (actually before then I think) why not just be satisfied with celebrations of getting the first overall pick irregardless of whether those players might or might not ever be worth a bag of used toilet paper. 
Anyone remember the excitement of getting the first overall pick? I've kind of missed that few moments of  thinking, Hey! We got the best ..(whatever position)  Now despite the fact that we've never really cashed in on the first overall pick it was still more exciting than the 9th pick or 4th or whatever.  I'm all in on the idea of properly sucking instead of just kind of sucking..
We know we'll never get the last pick so we might as well aim for the first pick year after year after year and quit worrying about being disappointed come January.. What say you? 
In the immortal words of my old man, "Wait'll you get to be my age!"

Chicago sounds rough to the maker of verse, but the one comfort we have is Cincinnati sounds worse. ~Oliver Wendal Holmes Sr.

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
It'd be something! LOL.

To be fair though, I'd say we hit with Carson Palmer, we just never did anything around him to make it pan out better than it did after the remarkable 2005 campaign.

"Better send those refunds..."

Reply/Quote
(12-05-2018, 12:36 PM)Wyche Wrote: It'd be something! LOL.

To be fair thought, I'd say we hit with Carson Palmer, we just never did anything around him to make it pan out better than it did after the remarkable 2005 campaign.

The sad thing regarding Palmer was the team did not address the trenches sort of like how they try to just get by now.  It blows my mind.  I remember during the Saint game Palmer was  knocked around badly.  Palmer had skill and was a classic "Troy Aikman" drop-back passer but had little protection. 
[Image: maXCb2f.jpg]
-Paul Brown
“When you win, say nothing. When you lose, say less.”

My album "Dragon"
https://www.humbert-lardinois.com/

Reply/Quote
(12-05-2018, 01:26 PM)psychdoctor Wrote: The sad thing regarding Palmer was the team did not address the trenches sort of like how they try to just get by now.  It blows my mind.  I remember during the Saint game Palmer was  knocked around badly.  Palmer had skill and was a classic "Troy Aikman" drop-back passer but had little protection. 

Doc.....I used to argue that until I was blue in the face on the old board.  I equated it to investing money on a Ferrari, then not getting insurance and leaving it in downtown Detroit with the windows down and the key in the ignition.  The saddest part is, as you noted here, we're seeing the same thing right now.  How can you not learn from the previous mistakes? Shocked

Reply/Quote
We are not getting the 1st overall pick....
Reply/Quote
(12-05-2018, 01:51 PM)Wyche Wrote: Doc.....I used to argue that until I was blue in the face on the old board.  I equated it to investing money on a Ferrari, then not getting insurance and leaving it in downtown Detroit with the windows down and the key in the ignition.  The saddest part is, as you noted here, we're seeing the same thing right now.  How can you not learn from the previous mistakes? Shocked

I thought the issue was Paul Alexander.  But it is obviously Mike Brown.  The fact that Lewis was under the impression Whit would remain but was let go is telling.  
[Image: maXCb2f.jpg]
-Paul Brown
“When you win, say nothing. When you lose, say less.”

My album "Dragon"
https://www.humbert-lardinois.com/

Reply/Quote
(12-05-2018, 02:03 PM)psychdoctor Wrote: I thought the issue was Paul Alexander.  But it is obviously Mike Brown.  The fact that Lewis was under the impression Whit would remain but was let go is telling.  

I think it was mostly Mikey, but some Alexander too in the later years.  The thing is, we don't have anywhere near the capital invested in the QB as we did when Palmer was here....there is no excuse for this.....except for bumbling the 2015 draft.  So, yeah, no excuse.

Reply/Quote
(12-05-2018, 02:03 PM)psychdoctor Wrote: I thought the issue was Paul Alexander.  But it is obviously Mike Brown.  The fact that Lewis was under the impression Whit would remain but was let go is telling.  

I think just like the other coaches, the game passed him by.  After Dallas canned him, their line is playing a ton better.  I remember one of the announcers saying that the players were buying into the new guys techniques a lot more than they were Alexanders...so I think a lot of it was Alexander too
Reply/Quote
(12-05-2018, 01:26 PM)psychdoctor Wrote: The sad thing regarding Palmer was the team did not address the trenches sort of like how they try to just get by now.  It blows my mind.  I remember during the Saint game Palmer was  knocked around badly.  Palmer had skill and was a classic "Troy Aikman" drop-back passer but had little protection. 

Not sure it’s fair to state we didn’t address the trenches. The year before CP we drafted Levi. The year we took CP we also drafted Stienbach with our 2nd rd. The following year we signed Bobbie Williams,  In 05 we took the 3rd Center in the draft and arguably the best prospect at the position. In 06 we drafted Whit and resigned the best RT in the game.
[Image: bfine-guns2.png]

Reply/Quote
Not truly investing in the Offensive Line has been a hallmark of Mike Brown. Yes they will draft high and occasionally pay to retain but they show poor judgment on who to keep and who to lose and they typically have no depth.
Reply/Quote
(12-05-2018, 04:38 PM)bfine32 Wrote: Not sure it’s fair to state we didn’t address the trenches. The year before CP we drafted Levi. The year we took CP we also drafted Stienbach with our 2nd rd. The following year we signed Bobbie Williams,  In 05 we took the 3rd Center in the draft and arguably the best prospect at the position. In 06 we drafted Whit and resigned the best RT in the game.

It was more what happened after that when the line started to crumble.  They were slow to react, and put out a subpar unit behind those guys.  Same as what's happened now after Whit, Dre, Z, Boling.

Reply/Quote
I need to see a coaching change, if we don't make one i might go all in on that one Gramps.

And i don't mean them hiring Hue as the next HC.

Sad day. Sad
Reply/Quote
(12-05-2018, 01:51 PM)Wyche Wrote: Doc.....I used to argue that until I was blue in the face on the old board.  I equated it to investing money on a Ferrari, then not getting insurance and leaving it in downtown Detroit with the windows down and the key in the ignition.  The saddest part is, as you noted here, we're seeing the same thing right now.  How can you not learn from the previous mistakes? Shocked

The Bengals sure do like to draft WR's and RB's and CB's though!
Reply/Quote
(12-05-2018, 05:31 PM)Wyche Wrote: It was more what happened after that when the line started to crumble.  They were slow to react, and put out a subpar unit behind those guys.  Same as what's happened now after Whit, Dre, Z, Boling.

Well if we're fair they did address it, they just made some bad picks. 
[Image: bfine-guns2.png]

Reply/Quote
It will not matter who or what order the Bengals draft. Simply doesn't matter because of the ownership, front office, head coach and most of the coaching staff. The Bengals breed failure. They breed a losing tradition. Players and coaches come here to see their careers die in failure and disappointment. I cannot see how ANY player or coach would want to come here to work knowing they don't have any control.

It's the same thing as a boxer having one arm tied behind his back, or a high performance race car capable of winning but only being able to run 1/2 throttle. The situation in Cincy with the Bengals will never work as long as this ownership has the final say.

I wonder how Rex Burkhead feels now that he is with a winning tradition? Players that are released or traded must be saying 'thank you lord' It wouldn't surprise me if most of the current Bengals would welcome a trade anywhere but here. Oh sure, some guys will "say" they want to play here and end their career here but that is probably all for good PR for the camera. I know some of the players are glad to have a job as they probably couldn't make other teams and those that were drafted don't have much of a choice.

If you wanna be a winner, associate with other winners, if you wanna be a loser, associate with other losers, (Bengals)

I cannot understand how after 2-1/2 decades and the current 16 year mostly losing path that current ownership hasn't said, "maybe we ought to change our plans a bit?" It says an awful lot about the mindset of those in charge of this team. If everyone here and thousands of fans can see it, why can't ownership?
Reply/Quote
(12-05-2018, 01:51 PM)WychesWarrior Wrote: Doc.....I used to argue that until I was blue in the face on the old board.  I equated it to investing money on a Ferrari, then not getting insurance and leaving it in downtown Detroit with the windows down and the key in the ignition.  The saddest part is, as you noted here, we're seeing the same thing right now.  How can you not learn from the previous mistakes? Shocked

Learning from previous mistakes is not our strong suit.
Reply/Quote
(12-05-2018, 05:54 PM)bfine32 Wrote: Well if we're fair they did address it, they just made some bad picks. 

Other teams make bad picks too.  The difference is that most teams don't keep those players around for the entirely of their contracts.  Most teams acknowledge the mistake, and move forward in a more positive direction.

Some might point toward the team picking up Cordy Glenn and Bobby Hart, and claim that they indeed took some action.  However, I put that into the "too little, too late" pile, not unakin to pissing on a forest fire in an attempt to put it out.  Hell, they let a future HOF Tackle walk out the door, by giving him the only out of line offer that he received.  They could have addressed the OL needs more thoroughly in any of the past 3 drafts, but they chose not to.  Instead, they chose to ride or die with the bad picks that they selected.

Volson is meh, but I like him, and he has far exceeded my expectations

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
In a "Way too Early Mock Draft," CBS has the Bengals selecting Herbert.
Reply/Quote
(12-05-2018, 07:23 PM)SunsetBengal Wrote: Other teams make bad picks too.  The difference is that most teams don't keep those players around for the entirely of their contracts.  Most teams acknowledge the mistake, and move forward in a more positive direction.

Some might point toward the team picking up Cordy Glenn and Bobby Hart, and claim that they indeed took some action.  However, I put that into the "too little, too late" pile, not unakin to pissing on a forest fire in an attempt to put it out.  Hell, they let a future HOF Tackle walk out the door, by giving him the only out of line offer that he received.  They could have addressed the OL needs more thoroughly in any of the past 3 drafts, but they chose not to.  Instead, they chose to ride or die with the bad picks that they selected.

Bingo !

It's like once they chose a player, come hell or high water they're sticking with him ! They refuse to admit mistakes and acknowledge failure. It's childish.

As for the draft pick a OT seems about right.
Reply/Quote
(12-05-2018, 08:00 PM)bengalfan74 Wrote: Bingo !

It's like once they chose a player, come hell or high water they're sticking with him ! They refuse to admit mistakes and acknowledge failure. It's childish.

I get the whole "loyalty" and "honoring the contract extended to players" thing, I really do.  But, does it really have to extend to every draft pick that fails to produce?  Heck, cut them loose, trade them, anything.  Maybe another team can make chicken salad out of chicken squat, like we did with Reggie Nelson, when he was considered a bust.

Volson is meh, but I like him, and he has far exceeded my expectations

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote