Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
First round targets and other options later at their positions
As we get closer, we all are pretty set on potential players at specific position group in the first round. This is to open up to other players available later at those said positions and where you think their range is. I'll provide my examples below. Second part is, would you rather take the later player so you could get someone you feel is better value earlier?

TE - Mayer - alternates: Kraft 2/3, Schoon/Kuntz 4/5, Durham 5/6
DE - Murphy - alternates: McGuire 3, Foskey 2/3, Harrison 3
3T - Kancey - alternates: Dante Stills 4/5
NT - Mazi? - alternates: Dexter 2, Benton 2, Clark 4/5
CB - Forbes - alternates: Brents 2, Stephenson 2, G. Williams 3, Trice 3/4, J. Jones 3/4, Carrington 4/5
OT - Wright (if he lasts) - alternates: D. Jones (again, if he lasts) 2, Morris 3, Steen 3, McClendon 4/5

If Wright is there, he's the top pick for me, then I'm leaning Murphy then Kancey then Forbes as my first round preferences and taking the other choices in later rounds.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(04-20-2023, 09:39 AM)WVUHomer Wrote: As we get closer, we all are pretty set on potential players at specific position group in the first round. This is to open up to other players available later at those said positions and where you think their range is. I'll provide my examples below. Second part is, would you rather take the later player so you could get someone you feel is better value earlier?

CB - Forbes - alternates: Brents 2, Stephenson 2, G. Williams 3, Trice 3/4, J. Jones 3/4, Carrington 4/5
OT - Wright (if he lasts) - alternates: D. Jones (again, if he lasts) 2, Morris 3, Steen 3, McClendon 4/5

If Wright is there, he's the top pick for me, then I'm leaning Murphy then Kancey then Forbes as my first round preferences and taking the other choices in later rounds.

You left out Clark Phillips CB Utah in the 2nd or 3rd round. Would love to get this guy, I like Forbes but he is so light, great player though.

Wright is still what I prefer as well, also would take the other Darnell TE over Mayer but by just a touch.

Also would love Mazi or one of the other NT's for insurance in case DJ leaves or even if he doesn't. Doubt we are looking at Ends right 
now this early. Kancey and his short arms are a bit of a question mark as a 3-tech but if he could be that guy for us that would be great.

Right now, Darnell Wright, Clark Phillips, Tyjae Spears, Schoonmaker/Kuntz/Whyle is pretty ideal to me.

Also might want to add RB's to this list as Bijan has been around at 28 a lot lately in a lot of mocks.
Reply/Quote
(04-20-2023, 09:39 AM)WVUHomer Wrote: As we get closer, we all are pretty set on potential players at specific position group in the first round. This is to open up to other players available later at those said positions and where you think their range is. I'll provide my examples below. Second part is, would you rather take the later player so you could get someone you feel is better value earlier?

For me, in order. 

RT: Wright. ALT: D. Jones 2nd; 2nd/3rd: Mauch, Bergeron. 4th+ = pass. 
3T: Kancey. ALT: pass after Rd 1. Unless Benton can play nose too, 2nd.
TE: Mayer, Kincaid. ALT: Washington 2; 2/3 LaPorta, Kraft, Musgrave; 4/5: Strange, Kuntz; 5/6: Whyle. 
CB: Forbes, Banks, Smith. ALT: 2: Brents, Turner; Stevenson; 3/4: G. Williams;  4/5: Tice, Moss, Rush, Bennett. 
DE: Van Ness, Murphy. ALT: 2: White, Tuipulotu, Foskey; 3/4: McGuire 
RB: Robinson. ALT: Gibbs 2; 3/4: Achane, Miller; 4/5: Abanikanda, Spears; McBride; 6: Luepke. 
WR: Smith-Njigba, Flowers. ALT: Hyatt 2; 3/4: Mingo, Scott, Dell, ; 4/5/6: Reed, C. Jones, Brice-Wheaton, Wilson, Iosivas; 6/7: Bell, Landers. 

I would not take an OG, C, NT, LB, S, or QB in round 1.
Reply/Quote
(04-20-2023, 04:11 PM)Isaac Curtis: The Real #85 Wrote: For me, in order. 

RT: Wright. ALT: D. Jones 2nd; 2nd/3rd: Mauch, Bergeron. 4th+ = pass. 
3T: Kancey. ALT: pass after Rd 1. Unless Benton can play nose too, 2nd.
TE: Mayer, Kincaid. ALT: Washington 2; 2/3 LaPorta, Kraft, Musgrave; 4/5: Strange, Kuntz; 5/6: Whyle. 
CB: Forbes, Banks, Smith. ALT: 2: Brents, Turner; Stevenson; 3/4: G. Williams;  4/5: Tice, Moss, Rush, Bennett. 
DE: Van Ness, Murphy. ALT: 2: White, Tuipulotu, Foskey; 3/4: McGuire 
RB: Robinson. ALT: Gibbs 2; 3/4: Achane, Miller; 4/5: Abanikanda, Spears; McBride; 6: Luepke. 
WR: Smith-Njigba, Flowers. ALT: Hyatt 2; 3/4: Mingo, Scott, Dell, ; 4/5/6: Reed, C. Jones, Brice-Wheaton, Wilson, Iosivas; 6/7: Bell, Landers. 

I would not take an OG, C, NT, LB, S, or QB in round 1.

Interesting listing Mauch for RT.
He has sub-32.5" arm length, which only Braden Smith has among all starting OTs.
I wasn't really considering Mauch as an OT because of the length limitation, but maybe he could find a way to buck the trend and be effective still outside.
Zac Taylor 2019-2020: 6 total wins
Zac Taylor 2021-2022: Double-digit wins each season, plus 5 postseason wins
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

Reply/Quote
I did a mock this morning with coffee, and traded back to 48 and gained 2 extra picks later, including 55. At 48, Washington, Forbes and Gibbs were all there as the top 3 bpa's. That is what I call options! I went with Forbes and then Mazi at 55. Musgrave was there at 60. It wouldnt hurt my feelings to see something like this play out in real life. This draft could go a lot of different ways and still help the team a lot.
Reply/Quote
(04-20-2023, 05:46 PM)bengaloo Wrote: I did a mock this morning with coffee, and traded back to 48 and gained 2 extra picks later, including 55. At 48, Washington, Forbes and Gibbs were all there as the top 3 bpa's. That is what I call options! I went with Forbes and then Mazi at 55. Musgrave was there at 60. It wouldnt hurt my feelings to see something like this play out in real life. This draft could go a lot of different ways and still help the team a lot.

Hmm, could happen, yah never know. That is a long trade back to still get a lot of guys who also could go in the first. I actually could 
see that with all these guys for lots of reasons. Washington isn't known for being a pass catching TE, Forbes is crazy light, Gibbs cannot 
pass protect, Mazi doesn't have great numbers and Musgrave has little production in college.
Reply/Quote
(04-20-2023, 04:35 PM)ochocincos Wrote: Interesting listing Mauch for RT.
He has sub-32.5" arm length, which only Braden Smith has among all starting OTs.
I wasn't really considering Mauch as an OT because of the length limitation, but maybe he could find a way to buck the trend and be effective still outside.

Mauch would be depth. At least to start. #4 OT behind Brown, Carman + Williams/Collins and likely #4 OG as well, who could take Scharping's spot as OG3 after this year and maybe even push Volson eventually. I see Bergeron the same way. 

I don't like using a 2nd rounder on a depth piece, though. Much more likely in the 3rd + if we get an extra pick (trade down/Jonah trade). But Bergeron/Mauch could be worth it because it could allow me to carry 9 OL instead of 10 and open up a roster spot elsewhere (DE, DT, TE, S). And likely bump a guy I am not thrilled about being on the roster (Adeniji, Ford, Smith). 
Reply/Quote

Listening to Callahan, I have zero doubt he would take Kincaid over Mayer.  You nailed the rest of these.

Reply/Quote
(04-20-2023, 02:41 PM)Nate (formerly eliminate08) Wrote: You left out Clark Phillips CB Utah in the 2nd or 3rd round. Would love to get this guy, I like Forbes but he is so light, great player though.

Wright is still what I prefer as well, also would take the other Darnell TE over Mayer but by just a touch.

Also would love Mazi or one of the other NT's for insurance in case DJ leaves or even if he doesn't. Doubt we are looking at Ends right 
now this early. Kancey and his short arms are a bit of a question mark as a 3-tech but if he could be that guy for us that would be great.

Right now, Darnell Wright, Clark Phillips, Tyjae Spears, Schoonmaker/Kuntz/Whyle is pretty ideal to me.

Also might want to add RB's to this list as Bijan has been around at 28 a lot lately in a lot of mocks.

Lou likes tall and long CBs, he could see Phillips at NCB maybe?  Im not as sold on Spears as most.

Reply/Quote
(04-20-2023, 04:35 PM)ochocincos Wrote: Interesting listing Mauch for RT.

(04-21-2023, 12:13 PM)Isaac Curtis: The Real #85 Wrote: Mauch would be depth. At least to start. #4 OT behind Brown, Carman + Williams/Collins and likely #4 OG as well, who could take Scharping's spot as OG3 after this year and maybe even push Volson eventually. I see Bergeron the same way. 

I don't like using a 2nd rounder on a depth piece, though. Much more likely in the 3rd + if we get an extra pick (trade down/Jonah trade). But Bergeron/Mauch could be worth it because it could allow me to carry 9 OL instead of 10 and open up a roster spot elsewhere (DE, DT, TE, S). And likely bump a guy I am not thrilled about being on the roster (Adeniji, Ford, Smith). 

IMO Mauch is IOL as well, but he is good enough to play some RT.  I can see Jonah staying this season, and I can see Mauch being capable of solidly backing up RT, OG and OC.  Very nice piece to have on the roster.

Reply/Quote
(04-21-2023, 02:46 PM)casear2727 Wrote: IMO Mauch is IOL as well, but he is good enough to play some RT.  I can see Jonah staying this season, and I can see Mauch being capable of solidly backing up RT, OG and OC.  Very nice piece to have on the roster.

I would be ok with adding Mauch and giving him a shot at RT this season, although he wouldn't be my first choice for OL selection if looking for an OL on Day 2.
At worst, he shifts to IOL and pushes Volson for starting LG reps.
Zac Taylor 2019-2020: 6 total wins
Zac Taylor 2021-2022: Double-digit wins each season, plus 5 postseason wins
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

Reply/Quote
(04-21-2023, 02:42 PM)casear2727 Wrote: Listening to Callahan, I have zero doubt he would take Kincaid over Mayer.  You nailed the rest of these.

So if you were basing a mock just on the list I put out, who would be your pick at 28 and which alternates would you be focusing your target? And just to take out the easiest answer, assume Wright is off the board with his current rise.

Also, how dare you challenge me on twitter with your Izzy slander to my reply to Coach Minch (Izzy doesn't break tackles)? (I know you didn't know that was my post lol)
Reply/Quote
(04-22-2023, 12:13 AM)WVUHomer Wrote: So if you were basing a mock just on the list I put out, who would be your pick at 28 and which alternates would you be focusing your target? And just to take out the easiest answer, assume Wright is off the board with his current rise.

Also, how dare you challenge me on twitter with your Izzy slander to my reply to Coach Minch (Izzy doesn't break tackles)? (I know you didn't know that was my post lol)

LOL, got me on the Izzy take.  I truly do not know what they are thinking.  Kincaid, Mayer, Forbes, Murphy, Breese seem to the short list.

Reply/Quote
(04-21-2023, 02:43 PM)casear2727 Wrote: Lou likes tall and long CBs, he could see Phillips at NCB maybe?  Im not as sold on Spears as most.

Julius Brents fits it like a glove...
Reply/Quote
(04-22-2023, 02:20 AM)pulses Wrote: Julius Brents fits it like a glove...

True, I wish he was a better tackler.

Reply/Quote
(04-22-2023, 04:46 PM)casear2727 Wrote: True, I wish he was a better tackler.

That fact alone almost entirely points out he would fit us.

Edit: Just realized what I wrote. He would not fit us as a bad tackler.
Reply/Quote
(04-22-2023, 04:46 PM)casear2727 Wrote: True, I wish he was a better tackler.

It's fixable and I love his size and physicality.
Reply/Quote