Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
First time since 1988...
That these two teams have met in the playoffs.

Kelly vs Esiason, Levy vs Wyche

https://youtu.be/4vUl9rDfQQY
Reply/Quote
(01-18-2023, 02:37 AM)JumboTron Wrote: That these two teams have met in the playoffs.

I still have that jacket Wyche is wearing. Let me tell you that back in the day, buying Bengal gear was like treasure hunting, hard to find specially in AZ. Unlike today.
Reply/Quote
The '88 victory over the Bills is what solidified me becoming a hardcore Bengals fan. Until we win a Super Bowl, it will always be my favorite Bengals moment.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
I remember the Bills whining like a mule over the no-huddle. Then the very next season copying it and announcers acting like the Bills invented it. Hilarious
Reply/Quote
(01-18-2023, 11:33 AM)TecmoBengals Wrote: The '88 victory over the Bills is what solidified me becoming a hardcore Bengals fan. Until we win a Super Bowl, it will always be my favorite Bengals moment.

I agree, the last 2 years are close but '88 season was the start of me becoming a hardcore Bengal fan!
Reply/Quote
(01-18-2023, 11:59 AM)bengalfan74 Wrote: I remember the Bills whining like a mule over the no-huddle. Then the very next season copying it and announcers acting like the Bills invented it.  Hilarious

Truth, it's one of those sports things I give too much attention to as a fan. 

Give my Bengals the no huddle props, not the Bills!
Reply/Quote
(01-18-2023, 02:37 AM)JumboTron Wrote: That these two teams have met in the playoffs.

It would be nice to have the Bengals and Forty Niners in the Super Bowl also.
Reply/Quote
(01-18-2023, 11:59 AM)bengalfan74 Wrote: I remember the Bills whining like a mule over the no-huddle. Then the very next season copying it and announcers acting like the Bills invented it.  Hilarious

Yea.  His name escapes me at the moment, but the Bills had a d-lineman who kept falling down faking injury to interrupt our no huddle.  
Reply/Quote
(01-18-2023, 02:29 PM)Goalpost Wrote: Yea.  His name escapes me at the moment, but the Bills had a d-lineman who kept falling down faking injury to interrupt our no huddle.  

That was Joe Nash from the Seahawks, the week before. 

"The measure of a man's intelligence can be seen in the length of his argument."
Reply/Quote
(01-18-2023, 02:33 PM)rfaulk34 Wrote: That was Joe Nash from the Seahawks, the week before. 

Correction accepted.  Thought that a Bills player did that.  
Reply/Quote
(01-18-2023, 01:50 PM)TecmoBengals Wrote: Truth, it's one of those sports things I give too much attention to as a fan. 

Yep

Same for the "west coast" offense.
Reply/Quote

That's almost as bad as NO fans thinking that Who Dey was a play on Who Dat..

Volson is meh, but I like him, and he has far exceeded my expectations

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
(01-18-2023, 02:37 PM)Goalpost Wrote: Correction accepted.  Thought that a Bills player did that.  

I don’t think the Bills needed to try that because the league outlawed it before the game…
Reply/Quote

Cool stuff, thanks JumboTron, have to bump this and watch it later after work.
Reply/Quote
(01-18-2023, 04:00 PM)SunsetBengal Wrote: That's almost as bad as NO fans thinking that Who Dey was a play on Who Dat..

You remember that big article, forget by whom? Joe from Flo posted on that on the Mother Ship oh maybe 06 ?

Anyways the cliff notes of it: Who Dat in New Orleans goes way back. But Who Dat used at Saints football games was not before Who Dey.
Reply/Quote
(01-18-2023, 01:50 PM)TecmoBengals Wrote: Truth, it's one of those sports things I give too much attention to as a fan. 

(01-18-2023, 02:47 PM)bengalfan74 Wrote: Yep

Same for the "west coast" offense.

So Cincy started things that were perfected somewhere else.

West Coast Offense -70s
No Huddle Offense -80s
Zone Blitz Defense -80s

It was LeBeau's inability to teach his zone defense to the athletes that Mike Brown and the Bengals were drafting on defense that made me wary of signing Lou Anarumo. He went to the Steelers and perfected his Zone Blitz where they weren't drafting combine stars, they were drafting football players.

Makes me kind of sad for LeBeau as he was the last to be held down completely by Mike Brown. Marvin then was allowed to change a lot of things here for the better. Zac and Duke changed the draft's combine star approach and drafted actual football players, many of whom were college team captains.
Only users lose drugs.
:-)-~~~
Reply/Quote
(01-18-2023, 05:25 PM)bengalfan74 Wrote: You remember that big article, forget by whom? Joe from Flo posted on that on the Mother Ship oh maybe 06 ?

Anyways the cliff notes of it: Who Dat in New Orleans goes way back. But Who Dat used at Saints football games was not before Who Dey.

Especially since Who Dey was a Bengals phrase coined after the local beer Hudepohl, Hudey for short.  None of which has anything to do with New Orleans street scene or voodoo, or any other such ich.

Volson is meh, but I like him, and he has far exceeded my expectations

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
(01-18-2023, 04:00 PM)Clark W Griswold Wrote: I don’t think the Bills needed to try that because the league outlawed it before the game…

They threatened to outlaw it at Marv Levy's insistence, but they did not do so. Wyche and PB stated that it had been used all season and was a competitive disadvantage to the Bengals to ban a season long practice during the post season. The league backed down. This was all within a few hours of kickoff.
Reply/Quote
(01-18-2023, 05:25 PM)bengalfan74 Wrote: You remember that big article, forget by whom? Joe from Flo posted on that on the Mother Ship oh maybe 06 ?

He wrote the article himself, and he tried to use it as evidence in against any and all arguments against his stance.

I don't care if Who Dey is based on Who Dat or not, but I know for a fact I heard the Who Dat chant before the '81 season.
Reply/Quote
(01-18-2023, 10:00 AM)Bengalitis Wrote: I still have that jacket Wyche is wearing. Let me tell you that back in the day, buying Bengal gear was like treasure hunting, hard to find specially in AZ. Unlike today.

Dude...I know the pain. It was impossible in Chicago too back in the 80's and 90's. But, if it makes you feel any better, when I finally got to visit Cincinnati in '92 it was near impossible to find Bengals gear in Cincinnati too (Koch's downtown quickly became my mecca). Amusingly, I think I actually ended up finding Bengals stuff when I was in Phoenix back in '97.

Finding stuff back then was such an event, I still remember where I got each bit of my old Bengals gear, store and city.

That's awesome you've got that jacket. Apex iirc, or Pro Player? Always liked that one with the stripes around the back. Never found it myself.
Reply/Quote