WR
TE
CENTER
OG
[Show Results]

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
First two picks
(02-08-2016, 03:08 PM)SunsetBengal Wrote: DT and LB  Bengals need a run stuffing NT, and an athletic, 3 down LB that can cover.

I second this, but I'd prefer them in this order: LB and DT.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
People have mentioned the dependence on free agency outcomes, and of course, that's true. I would throw in that you would also have to consider a player we regard very highly sliding down on draft day.

There are three positions I think we need early in the draft, but the question ask for only two. So I see the two coming from the ranks of DT, LB and WR, depending on what Marvin Jones does. If he goes elsewhere, that may elevate WR all the way to No. 1.

My qualifiers are these: we need a center, but probably can get one in the third; a really outstanding corner is always hard to resist; if we think we see an outstanding pass rusher, we have to take him, even if it's a linebacker.

If we could hold onto Marvin Jones, I would love to see a big, fast, three-down linebacker.
Reply/Quote
CB and DE would be ideal but it depends on the way the board falls. Could easily see DT/WR/LB/C if the right player is there.
Reply/Quote
Voted DT and LB

but it will probably be CB and WR

The water tastes funny when you're far from your home,
yet it's only the thirsty that hunger to roam. 
          Roam the Jungle !
Reply/Quote
(02-11-2016, 01:58 AM)Go Cards Wrote: Voted DT and LB

I'm afraid you're right.  CBs are clearly their go to position - and understandably given the high cost of keeping good ones.

And all the really good DT prospects are moving up the boards.  The guys like Billings, Reed, Rankins and even Butler are not likely to be there at 24 now.   So we'd have to reach for someone like Austin Johnson or Adlophous Washington.  Reaching is not something the Bengals do so my guess is that it will be a WR, LB or CB depending on their value on the candidate.  And I doubt there's going to be a 1st round quality LB available there either.   Lee is creeping up the boards too, so he may not be available either.

We'll see.   But my wish list is DT with the ability to really stop the run and play more than 10 snaps a game - and a LB who can run with RBs and TEs.
Reply/Quote
(02-11-2016, 01:58 AM)Go Cards Wrote: Voted DT and LB

That would mean the Bengals FO failed in FA miserably.

I would say they have been underwhelming in FA in the past but not miserable.

I think they will atleast bring back Reggie, Adam and Sanu. Sounds underwhelming and more likely.

Still, CB and WR would still be on the FO's minds as they should be, Adam is getting older and Mo is inconsistent as a WR.
Reply/Quote
(02-11-2016, 01:55 PM)3wt Wrote: I'm afraid you're right.  CBs are clearly their go to position - and understandably given the high cost of keeping good ones.

And all the really good DT prospects are moving up the boards.  The guys like Billings, Reed, Rankins and even Butler are not likely to be there at 24 now.   So we'd have to reach for someone like Austin Johnson or Adlophous Washington.  Reaching is not something the Bengals do so my guess is that it will be a WR, LB or CB depending on their value on the candidate.  And I doubt there's going to be a 1st round quality LB available there either.   Lee is creeping up the boards too, so he may not be available either.

We'll see.   But my wish list is DT with the ability to really stop the run and play more than 10 snaps a game - and a LB who can run with RBs and TEs.

I honestly liked last years DT class better. And only 3 of them went in the first round. DTs tend to fall. Eddie Goldman and Jordan Phillips went in the 2nd round last year. Id take either of them over just about every DT in this class other than Buckner.
Reply/Quote
(02-11-2016, 04:45 PM)NATI BENGALS Wrote: I honestly liked last years DT class better. And only 3 of them went in the first round. DTs tend to fall. Eddie Goldman and Jordan Phillips went in the 2nd round last year. Id take either of them over just about every DT in this class other than Buckner.

Andrew Billings dude be good.
Reply/Quote
(02-11-2016, 04:50 PM)Nate (formerly eliminate08) Wrote: Andrew Billings dude be good.

Agreed.  Guy just tears up double teams and doesn give up the line of scrimmage.
Reply/Quote
(02-08-2016, 12:24 PM)fredtoast Wrote: CBs are so expensive to sign in free agency I would not complain about us using a top 2 pick on one.

Plus the NFL is so pass happy that you really need 3 "starting" CBs.

(02-08-2016, 12:30 PM)Luvnit2 Wrote: I agree Fred, CB would be a strong possibility as well. I am hoping we lock up Jones and get Dennard back healthy. I was also impressed with Shaw in limited snaps thus why I went DE and WR.

CB wouldn't be a bad selection early. Even if Jones is resigned and we have Jones, Kirkpatrick and Dennard as the top three, there's still a need for another starting caliber CB in the fold. Kirkpatrick is going into the final year of his deal and this team tends to let CBs play backup for a year or two or three before letting them move into the starting lineup.

Of course, if we are without Marvin Jones and Sanu, we could be looking at a situation where the team absolutely has to draft two WRs who can play right away. It's not like Tate is going to suddenly become quality WR or anything.

One they I am certain of is that we aren't going to draft an OT in either of the top two spots and I don't see us taking a QB, P or K either. All other positions are possible.

Reply/Quote
The premium position mentality is nice and all when you get lucky with later round players, but when position groups become legit liabilities because they've been negated in the draft or they've been addressed with less than stellar prospects, it maybe time to bend a little.

To Duke and co., What's wrong with spending a 1st round pick on a DT and a 2nd round pick on a LB? Regardless if these positions aren't traditionally at the top of most paid positions, they've become obviously more valuable. We can't always spend a 1st on a CB every other year, or our positions we've neglected will become even worse.
Reply/Quote
(02-15-2016, 05:54 PM)Stormborn Wrote: The premium position mentality is nice and all when you get lucky with later round players, but when position groups become legit liabilities because they've been negated in the draft or they've been addressed with less than stellar prospects, it maybe time to bend a little.

To Duke and co., What's wrong with spending a 1st round pick on a DT and a 2nd round pick on a LB? Regardless if these positions aren't traditionally at the top of most paid positions, they've become obviously more valuable. We can't always spend a 1st on a CB every other year, or our positions we've neglected will become even worse.

The hilarity of it is, interior pressure and ability to stop slot WR and TEs is the name of defense in the modern NFL. 
The NFL is mostly about the quick passing game to set up runs and deep shots. 
Denver had such great success because Wolfe and Jackson got pressure up the middle and their LBs could cover TE and RBs. 

You couldn't drop back to avoid the interior pressure because Ware and Miller would be waiting for you. 
You couldn't step up to avoid edge pressure because Jackson and Wolfe would be waiting for you. 

It disrupts offenses to no end when you can pressure up the middle. 
Reply/Quote
(02-15-2016, 06:01 PM)RoyleRedlegs Wrote: The hilarity of it is, interior pressure and ability to stop slot WR and TEs is the name of defense in the modern NFL. 
The NFL is mostly about the quick passing game to set up runs and deep shots. 
Denver had such great success because Wolfe and Jackson got pressure up the middle and their LBs could cover TE and RBs. 

You couldn't drop back to avoid the interior pressure because Ware and Miller would be waiting for you. 
You couldn't step up to avoid edge pressure because Jackson and Wolfe would be waiting for you.

It disrupts offenses to no end when you can pressure up the middle. 

Speed off the edge, power up the middle. We just got 1 and 1 to there 2 combos, Dunlap and Geno's backs should've broke from carrying the pass rush this year. Heck, I remember plugging Sylvester Williams too. That front 7 deserves waaaaay more credit than its getting.

Nothing would make me happier than a Marv quote about needing to get faster in the trenches and second level, but whether or not he actually believes that, we'll never hear it.
Reply/Quote
Yep.
You can find a decent plugger in the mid-rounds anymore.

Get yourself an athlete to put in there. You spend most of your time outside of base, draft like it.
Reply/Quote
I voted DT and center, but any other spot that is a high priced position otherwise like corner and end are no brainers as well any more.
“Don't give up. Don't ever give up.” - Jimmy V

Reply/Quote
I went DT and LB.

I'd love an quality edge rusher/athletic LB...we've made do with undrafted LB's (Burfict), old re-treads (Hawk) and relied on some yeoman like efforts from limited athletes (Rey & Rey) but especially with Lamur not panning out , poor drafting at LB and Burfict suspended again i really think we need some quality early.

DT - same as above apart from the hits on old draft picks (geno, carlos, MJ) we have not got a lot on the bench that is starting quality. I've not in love with Peko but he's a damn solid productive vet and he's the sort (like Rey M) that if he's not there you may miss him more than you think.

I did want to go safety but I'm hopeful that one/both of Iloka , Reggie stays.

I refuse to go CB early...just out of stubbornness as Dennard and Dre K need to step up and I'm loathed to continually ignore the front 7 early on.

Offense can wait, even if one of MJ or Sanu goes the cupboard is far from bare
Reply/Quote
(02-07-2016, 03:13 PM)fredtoast Wrote: First of all, I understand that the Bengals do not let their biggest immediate needs dictate their first picks.  But for the sake of this thread that is what I am asking you guys to do.

I also know that a lot of people have high expectations for third tound picks, but most of them don't do much their rookie season.

And, finally, i am not just asking what our two biggest needs are.  It could be possible that you see Center as the biggest need on the team, but feel we could get a good one in the third round.  I know I see a nickle LB as a really big need, but I think we could pick up a niche player like that in the third round.

So I say DT and WR (unless we re-sign Jones)  And we all have to make assumptions about free agency in order to pick our top 2

Vote for two in the poll.

I would be shocked if a DT was selected in Round 1.  DE and WR are my votes.  
Reply/Quote
(02-11-2016, 04:45 PM)NATI BENGALS Wrote: I honestly liked last years DT class better. And only 3 of them went in the first round. DTs tend to fall. Eddie Goldman and Jordan Phillips went in the 2nd round last year. Id take either of them over just about every DT in this class other than Buckner.

I would not be surprised if they pick a DT, Jordan Phillips was going to be our 2nd round pick last year, but Miami traded with the Eagles and got right in front of us and picked him. grrr.

http://www.wlwt.com/sports/Bengals-still-need-defensive-line-help-on-draft-s-3rd-day/32768382

The Bengals just missed on one defensive tackle they wanted. They have five more picks in Saturday's final four rounds to fix it.

Bengals coach Marvin Lewis admitted that they had Oklahoma defensive tackle Jordan Phillips ranked right next to Fisher, but Miami took Phillips one pick before the Bengals' turn.
Reply/Quote
(02-24-2016, 02:37 PM)Mike M (the other one) Wrote: I would not be surprised if they pick a DT, Jordan Phillips was going to be our 2nd round pick last year, but Miami traded with the Eagles and got right in front of us and picked him. grrr.

http://www.wlwt.com/sports/Bengals-still-need-defensive-line-help-on-draft-s-3rd-day/32768382

The Bengals just missed on one defensive tackle they wanted. They have five more picks in Saturday's final four rounds to fix it.

Bengals coach Marvin Lewis admitted that they had Oklahoma defensive tackle Jordan Phillips ranked right next to Fisher, but Miami took Phillips one pick before the Bengals' turn.

And I think the Bengals are going to have to make a move like that in order to get both an athletic DT and a quality 3 down backer - or a quality 3rd down backer at the least.

We're getting to the point that quality is more important than quantity - especially if we can sign Jones.  If we sign him our offense is good enough to go to the Super Bowl (though it would be wonderful to upgrade the Center position).  

But to finish our climb to the top we have to solidify the defense.    It was embarrassing to have two no-name running backs run rampant on our defense.   And they could not gain anything against Denver.   And we gave a lot of third downs away to TEs and RBs in front of our linebackers.
Reply/Quote
I'm saying DT / LB

1st - Andrew Billings (DT)
2nd - Kentrell Brothers (LB)

If we don't get Jones then I would say WR / LB, and the WR that I would like in the 1st would be Josh Doctson
Reply/Quote