Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
First woman President
I have a friend who claims that the first woman President of the US will have to be a Republican. This is because the more conservative Republicans are the ones who would be most opposed to a woman President based only on her gender, but they would be more willing to vote for female Republican than a male Democrat. Basically she claims that the female Republican candidate would already be over the "gender hurdle".

I think this argument makes some sense, but she also said the same thing about our first Black President. However she claims she was only "half wrong" about Obama being our first black President. Cool

Thoughts?

This is not meant to be about specific candidates but you can go there if you want.
Any female reality tv show hosts loyal to russia that have been lifelong con artists and tan too much.

Is snooki a republitard?
I kinda thought the same thing, but Obama proved me wrong, and it's not like Hillary didn't have the votes.
“History teaches that grave threats to liberty often come in times of urgency, when constitutional rights seem too extravagant to endure.”-Thurgood Marshall

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
(04-18-2018, 12:40 PM)fredtoast Wrote: I have a friend who claims that the first woman President of the US will have to be a Republican.  This is because the more conservative Republicans are the ones who would be most opposed to a woman President based only on her gender, but they would be more willing to vote for  female Republican than a male Democrat.  Basically she claims that the female Republican candidate would already be over the "gender hurdle".

I think this argument makes some sense, but she also said the same thing about our first Black President.  However she claims she was only "half wrong" about Obama being our first black President.   Cool

Thoughts?

This is not meant to be about specific candidates but you can go there if you want.

I think it goes both ways. I think more Democrats would vote for a female Democrat than a male Republican and I think more Republicans would vote for a female Republican than a male Democrat. But, I also believe that Democrats would more likely vote for woman based only on her gender and not on her policies and whatnot.
[Image: giphy.gif]
If Condi Rice decided to run I think she'd get a lot of support from voters on both sides.
[Image: bfine-guns2.png]

(04-18-2018, 01:57 PM)bfine32 Wrote: If Condi Rice decided to run I think she'd get a lot of support from voters on both sides.

And a female Democrat might pull some GOP votes if her name isn't Clinton or Obama.

No republicans were going to cross the line to vote for Clinton because she was Clinton.  didn't matter if she was male or female in that situation.
Your anger and ego will always reveal your true self.
Honestly, if Hillary was just viewed even as just a little more trustworthy, and she bothered to campaign at ALL in a couple states she thought she would automatically win, she'd probably be President today.

She was a better run campaign away from being the first female President, regardless of party.

That said, I kind of hope the next new President is like a... female, trans, half-african american, half-latin american, lesbian. We can get rid of almost all of the "first" campaigns out of the way all at once, then we can hopefully focus more on their policies in the campaigning rather than one's a lady and one had a reality show, and both were firsts™!

[Image: jamarr-chase.gif]
(04-18-2018, 02:01 PM)GMDino Wrote: And a female Democrat might pull some GOP votes if her name isn't Clinton or Obama.

No republicans were going to cross the line to vote for Clinton because she was Clinton.  didn't matter if she was male or female in that situation.

Yep. 
(04-18-2018, 02:02 PM)TheLeonardLeap Wrote: That said, I kind of hope the next new President is like a... female, trans, half-african american, half-latin american, lesbian. We can get rid of almost all of the "first" campaigns out of the way all at once, then we can hopefully focus more on their policies in the campaigning rather than one's a lady and one had a reality show, and both were firsts™!

It's not going to work if their "half" anything. There are actually some who don't view Barak as truly the first black president because he was "only" half-black.
Kim Kardashian West 2020.

Time to steal the GOPs approach.
I think the first female President will need to be a moderate from either party, likeable, and trustworthy. Also if she is a Republican, she will need to be more 'liberal' on the mainstream social issues and the environment. If she is a Democrat, she will need to be a bit more conservative on fiscal issues and security.
“Don't give up. Don't ever give up.” - Jimmy V

Women won't make good presidents because they run on emotions too much and can't be trusted to think things through properly

Wait, that's what trump is doing

Trump is the first female president
People suck
(04-18-2018, 02:43 PM)Millhouse Wrote: I think the first female President will need to be a moderate from either party, likeable, and trustworthy. Also if she is a Republican, she will need to be more 'liberal' on the mainstream social issues and the environment. If she is a Democrat, she will need to be a bit more conservative  on fiscal issues and security.

Yep.
(04-18-2018, 01:56 PM)PhilHos Wrote: I think it goes both ways. I think more Democrats would vote for a female Democrat than a male Republican and I think more Republicans would vote for a female Republican than a male Democrat. But, I also believe that Democrats would more likely vote for woman based only on her gender and not on her policies and whatnot.

And a Republican would be more likely to vote against a woman based on her gender and not her policies, right?
(04-18-2018, 01:57 PM)bfine32 Wrote: If Condi Rice decided to run I think she'd get a lot of support from voters on both sides.

She would appear to be a very powerful candidate.

Iraq was like a millstone around her neck for years, but that is fading into the memory for many people.
(04-18-2018, 03:46 PM)fredtoast Wrote: And a Republican would be more likely to vote against a woman based on her gender and not her policies, right?

No but older men of all political persuasions would be more likely to vote against a woman based solely on her gender.
(04-18-2018, 02:05 PM)PhilHos Wrote: It's not going to work if their "half" anything. There are actually some who don't view Barak as truly the first black president because he was "only" half-black.

Warren G Harding and Calvin Coolidge already cornered that market

There was a book. The 6 black presidents. Good read.
(04-18-2018, 02:01 PM)GMDino Wrote: And a female Democrat might pull some GOP votes if her name isn't Clinton or Obama.

List the female democrats that you actually think are electable.
(04-18-2018, 05:21 PM)StLucieBengal Wrote: List the female democrats that you actually think are electable.

The Congresswoman/Senator? that lost her legs in combat
[Image: bfine-guns2.png]

(04-18-2018, 05:21 PM)StLucieBengal Wrote: List the female democrats that you actually think are electable.

I don't know all of them that might run so I can't answer your question, but I can just not write them all off too just for being a Democrat.

(04-18-2018, 05:44 PM)bfine32 Wrote: The Congresswoman/Senator? that lost her legs in combat

Yeah Duckworth would be a good choice.
Your anger and ego will always reveal your true self.