Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
FirstPick Draft
Well I just completed my first draft on the First Pick Simulator and got to say if we had anything close to this I would pass out from excitement.

I will say that my 1st Round target was Mike McGlinchey. The way the draft simulator was falling I felt very safe that I could get him much later in the 1st. round so to the opportunity to trade back with Atlanta and acquire more selections in the second and third rounds. This is my draft:

Round 1 - Selection 26
Mike McGlinchey OT Notre Dame - Like most of the evaluators I feel with McGlinchey is a 10 year starter at LT. Much of his game reminds of Whitworth. He is a complete technician who's about as fundamentally as sound as you can get in a prospect. The key to our success has to start up front. While many still dislike Dalton he has proven when protected that he can win. He is here to stay let's protect him.

Round 2 - Selection 14

Ronnie Harrison SS Alabama - Our safeties have been underwhelming since the loss of Nelson. Fitzpatrick got the hype at Alabama but this kid is absolutely sound and a terrific athlete. He is a very complete safety who will immediately compete to start and excel.

Round 2 - Selection 19

James Daniels C Iowa - Even if we resign Bodine he will instantly be relegated to backup. Daniels will be a plug and play at the C position and dare I say his nasty streak reminds me a little of a guy by the name of Braham.

Round 2 - Selection 26

Rasheem Green DE USC - Michael Johnson, whom I have always been a fan of, is showing the wear of the game and has slowed visibly. Green has drawn comparisons to our very own Carlos Dunlap when coming out of college. He should be a welcome addition to help bolster this defensive front and should fit the attacking style of Austin.

Round 3 - Selection 13

Tim Settle DT Virginia Tech - Billings has not lived up to the billing...pun intended...be it injury or what his performance has not been there. Settle should help solidify the NT tackle position and be a formidable asset next to Atkins.

Round 3 - Selection 18

Quenton Meeks CB Stanford - A physical, smart, reliable CB that should be a welcome addition to our defensive backfield.

Round 3 - Selection 36

Jamarco Jones OT Ohio State - While I feel Jones played very well at LT in the collegiate ranks just not sure about the same at the NFL level however I feel he would be good fit at RT for this team. He is strong enough to handle power rushers while possessing the movement to take speed rushers. Let's be realistic even though Fisher has been medically cleared I have seen what I feared from him coming out of Oregon and that is a lack of physicality to be a RT at the NFL level. Jones IMO will be a much better fit and I see a 10 year tandem in him and McGlinchey. As well, I see Jones as a guy that as well has the ability to play OG.

Round 4 - Selection 12

Michael Dickson P Texas - Yep a punter in the 4th. Huber has served us well but his contract and performance are no longer a match. Dickson is straight up money! He is a game changer from a special teams perspective. Punters of this caliber do not come around very often.

Round 5 - Selection 14

Godwin Igwebuike FS Northwestern - A local product that was Mr. Football Ohio. Has some work to do in man to man matchups but has shown to be an intelligent and coachable football player. Instant special teams performer that could push for regular snaps in the line up as well.

Round 5 - Selection 33

Kyle Lauletta QB Richmond - A small school product that showed very good accuracy and leadership. Does he have the tools to develop as a backup or future starter? I seem his as a decent upside developmental player on the practice squad to start who could have a relatively decent ceiling.

Round 6 - Selection 13

Jaleel Scott WR New Mexico State - 6'5" 215lb receiver with good hands who ran a solid 4.5. Sure he has things to work on and develop as do most every prospect. I think this kid could be one of the steals of the draft who has an extremely high ceiling.

Round 7 - Selection 31

Chris Covington LB Indiana - Physical and aggressive especially given his size put up 27 reps at only 230 lbs. Plays sideline to sideline. Has the skills to become a very solid NFL level LB. Could be a real value immediately on special teams.

Round 7 - Selection 34

Ito Smith RB Southern Mississippi - Many say he has the best jump cut in the nation. He has long speed and has been highly productive. He is not a one trick back. He runs with power and elusiveness. His overall grade in 2016 was just slightly under that of Alvin Kamara and in 2015 was tied with Joe Mixon. If this kid is still here at this point it will be a miracle but if he is you take him.

Round 7 - Selection 35

Michael Bagley K Miami(FL) - At some point we have to find the performance you expect from the position. We could revisit Elliot but that is water under the bridge. Bagley has a strong leg and has hit rather consistently from beyond the 50 and has seemed to show ability in the clutch....something we have sorely missed.

So there it is. Yeah it is sweet to dream but if we could manufacture something close to this then I think this team moves to the next level. To be honest there would not be much we could do in free agency either that would really make me consider changing any selection.
Reply/Quote
Really different than any mock I have seen. I wouldn't be to upset if it went this way though. If one of the 2 LBs are there at 12, would you still take McGlinchey over Smith or Edmunds?
Reply/Quote
(03-09-2018, 04:38 PM)sandwedge Wrote: Really different than any mock I have seen. I wouldn't be to upset if it went this way though. If one of the 2 LBs are there at 12, would you still take McGlinchey over Smith or Edmunds?

Absolutely would. Outside of QB there is not more important position than LT. I see McGlinchey as a 10 year top tier LT. If you remember the Bengals got bashed by the talking heads for the Levi Jones selection and got to eat every negative word they spoke.
Reply/Quote
Nice to see you back!!! One of the better drafts I have seen so far really like getting green.
https://twitter.com/JAKEAKAJ24
J24

Jessie Bates left the Bengals and that makes me sad!
Reply/Quote
(03-09-2018, 05:06 PM)OSUfan Wrote: Absolutely would. Outside of QB there is not more important position than LT. I see McGlinchey as a 10 year top tier LT. If you remember the Bengals got bashed by the talking heads for the Levi Jones selection and got to eat every negative word they spoke.

Agreed. Its are never flashy picks. I was POed when they took Ogueje and Fischer. But I think McGlinchey looks like the real deal. He might even be there at 12. If he's not, then I take Vea or one of the LBs. 
Today I'm TEAM SEWELL. Tomorrow TEAM PITTS. Maybe TEAM CHASE. I can't decide, and glad I don't have to.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
Love your attempt to really strengthen the offensive line. Some good drafts here, but I think I would do more to get an early linebacker. I see us as pretty questionable there.
Reply/Quote
(03-10-2018, 04:46 AM)Thundercloud Wrote: Love your attempt to really strengthen the offensive line.  Some good drafts here, but I think I would do more to get an early linebacker.  I see us as pretty questionable there.

I can absolutely see your point but I feel we have some young talent there that I am anxious to see Austin work with in the form of Nick Vigil, Hardy Nickerson, Jordan Evans, and Brandon Bell. They all seem to be very athletic young backers and I think they are guys that can be developed. So I do not see the pantry as empty in that area. 

I think we have to make serious upgrades on the O line if this team has a chance to be a contender. I have looked and looked at the FA options available at OT and cannot say that I am impressed with the possibilities. If anything C is something I would address in FA but even at that with what is available I think you can do just as good in the draft. The top FA C I see are Richburg and Jenson and personally I would much rather have the kid from Iowa.

All just my opinion though.
Reply/Quote
(03-10-2018, 04:46 AM)Thundercloud Wrote: Love your attempt to really strengthen the offensive line.  Some good drafts here, but I think I would do more to get an early linebacker.  I see us as pretty questionable there.

When I was researching my mock, I spent a lot of time reading LB draft profiles.  It seemed to me that after the top 2 or 3, weather you're looking at OLB or ILB, the talent pool gets watered down pretty quickly.  If you don't go high for one of the elite talents, you can get just about the same quality in the 5th or 6th round, as you will in the 3rd round.  If that makes any sense.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]

Volson is meh, but I like him, and he has far exceeded my expectations

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
IF he turns out to be a good starter, then yes, he's a good pick.

I'm not going to turn this into a debate about McGlinchey (because I don't think he's a top tier LT prospect), but moving around the board and still getting your top target is a great draft.
Reply/Quote
(03-09-2018, 05:06 PM)OSUfan Wrote: Absolutely would. Outside of QB there is not more important position than LT. I see McGlinchey as a 10 year top tier LT. If you remember the Bengals got bashed by the talking heads for the Levi Jones selection and got to eat every negative word they spoke.

My way of thinking is, there isn't much separation from the #1 OT and the #4 OT. You look at LBs and after the Edmunds and Smith there is a drop except for Vander Esch, but right now I think he's not in the conversation at #12. Would I be down and out with McGlinchey, hell no! I'd be more excited though with LB!
Reply/Quote
(03-11-2018, 09:26 PM)Hammerstripes Wrote: IF he turns out to be a good starter, then yes, he's a good pick.

I'm not going to turn this into a debate about McGlinchey (because I don't think he's a top tier LT prospect), but moving around the board and still getting your top target is a great draft.

Check out the 2.0 draft and see what you think.
Reply/Quote
(03-12-2018, 12:32 PM)sandwedge Wrote: My way of thinking is, there isn't much separation from the #1 OT and the #4 OT. You look at LBs and after the Edmunds and Smith there is a drop except for Vander Esch, but right now I think he's not in the conversation at #12. Would I be down and out with McGlinchey, hell no! I'd be more excited though with LB!

Another’s reason I’d say to take the McGlinchey pick is to fill the leader gap created by Whit’s departure. McG was captain of ND’s squad for two years. Leader, smart, good OT. Not a Joe Thomas elite OT but still could be an anchor at left AND a leader for next ten years.
Reply/Quote