Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Fisher?
This is why i was pissed we let Andre walk and didnt even make an attempt to retain him.
Reply/Quote
(08-19-2016, 06:19 PM)NATI BENGALS Wrote: This is why i was pissed we let Andre walk and didnt even make an attempt to retain him.

Especially since neither Fisher nor Winston are playing at Andre's level.  My thought was Fisher was the weakest, so he should have been the one to walk...

Then again, I have no idea how much $$$ Andre wanted.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(08-19-2016, 06:19 PM)NATI BENGALS Wrote: This is why i was pissed we let Andre walk and didnt even make an attempt to retain him.

why would be retain Smith, he struggled over the last year, we drafted two tackles last year and had better needs to fill with the money we used on letting Smith go... the move was a solid move by the Bengals 
Reply/Quote
Music 
Well, he certainly couldn't have run.

I am glad he is gone.  The Bengals' D-line made highlights of his stone-foot, straight-line approach to blocking in the preseason game.
Reply/Quote
(08-19-2016, 09:25 PM)Essex Johnson Wrote: why would be retain Smith, he struggled over the last year, we drafted two tackles last year and had better needs to fill with the money we used on letting Smith go... the move was a solid move by the Bengals 

Sure we drafted two. But we generally dont just give starting spots to players who havent earned it. And that is what we did. With someone as bad as Winston as the backup plan. Tackle is a spot you want to spend at. Andre was a top 10 pick we groomed and we usually make an effort to keep our own.

Hopefully Ogbuehi and Fisher are ok and play 16+ games this year. Winston and Whit could easily be gone next year. So we will either be paying a free agent tackle anyway or burning draft picks again.
Reply/Quote
(08-19-2016, 08:29 AM)SHRacerX Wrote: I don't want to risk Boyd on punt returns, but that's just me.  

Yeah i know the feeling kind of like risking pacman on punts but all i gotta say is this have no hate for tate but both boyd and erickson look better
Reply/Quote
(08-20-2016, 01:03 AM)NATI BENGALS Wrote: Sure we drafted two. But we generally dont just give starting spots to players who havent earned it. And that is what we did. With someone as bad as Winston as the backup plan. Tackle is a spot you want to spend at. Andre was a top 10 pick we groomed and we usually make an effort to keep our own.

Hopefully Ogbuehi and Fisher are ok and play 16+ games this year. Winston and Whit could easily be gone next year. So we will either be paying a free agent tackle anyway or burning draft picks again.

Well I believe when we drafted Smith, he was given the opportunity to be a starter right away also but injuries etc prevented that and our history at tackle is drafting and starting guys early.  Look at Whitworth, Levi Jones and Willie Anderson, all started a majority of games their rookie season.  I am not  call Winston play for two years as a Bengal terrible, he actually played well two years ago when needed and he is not a starter, he has value as a veteran that can come in short notice and not be overwhelmed like a rookie etc.  The depth we have at tackle now gives us a greater ability to overcome two injuries at that position.
Reply/Quote
(08-20-2016, 09:41 AM)Essex Johnson Wrote: Well I believe when we drafted Smith, he was given the opportunity to be a starter right away also but injuries etc prevented that and our history at tackle is drafting and starting guys early.  Look at Whitworth, Levi Jones and Willie Anderson, all started a majority of games their rookie season.  I am not  call Winston play for two years as a Bengal terrible, he actually played well two years ago when needed and he is not a starter, he has value as a veteran that can come in short notice and not be overwhelmed like a rookie etc.  The depth we have at tackle now gives us a greater ability to overcome two injuries at that position.

When was picked up off of the street in mid-season is the only time he played well.

His play had already been in decline, which is why he was on the street to begin with.

The remaining time he has performed poorly, in my opinion.

Maybe the key when he first arrived is that he wasn't wearing down in practice.

Regardless, he was by far the worst of the 5 tackles we had on the roster last season, and yet he was the one we brought back of the two FAs.

Smith should have been retained and allow he and Ced to battle it out for the starting spot.

Best man wins, loser is first off of the bench.
Reply/Quote
(08-20-2016, 11:22 AM)jfkbengals Wrote: When was picked up off of the street in mid-season is the only time he played well.

His play had already been in decline, which is why he was on the street to begin with.

Regardless, he was by far the worst of the 5 tackles we had on the roster last season, and yet he was the one we brought back of the two FAs.

Smith should have been retained and allow he and Ced to battle it out for the starting spot.

I disagree on Winston, his value to play both positions as  a BACKUP with experience is important, 

After last years draft the writing was on the wall for Smith plus it gave them a year to evaluate the rookies.  Our cap is not unlimited, signing Smith would have had resulted in other non signings or extensions plus Smith was hit and miss, he had 3 out of 7 seasons where he played started in just 14 games.   Finally things are not off to a great start for Smith in Viking land so i just feel was good move not to resign him, read below

OT Andre Smith — A rocky start in Cincinnati led to Smith working with the backups on Sunday for the first time in five practices. Smith and last year’s starter, T.J. Clemmings, rotated snaps with the starters this week though it’d be a surprise if Smith didn’t start tonight. On a one-year, $3.5 million deal, Smith has another chance to rid doubt from coaches’ minds in his bid to be the right tackle. It comes against a similar Seahawks defensive line that twice gave the Vikings fits last season.
Reply/Quote
(08-20-2016, 11:22 AM)jfkbengals Wrote: Smith should have been retained and allow he and Ced to battle it out for the starting spot.

Should not pay $3.5 million for a back up O-lineman.
Reply/Quote
(08-20-2016, 01:59 PM)fredtoast Wrote: Should not pay $3.5 million for a back up O-lineman.

agree and the Vikings might be having him as a backup depending on his performance the rest of preseason
Reply/Quote
(08-20-2016, 01:59 PM)fredtoast Wrote: Should not pay $3.5 million for a back up O-lineman.

Other than Whit we have tackles on rookie contracts and i believe winston on veteran minimum. 

You should not skimp on tackles when they protect your franchise.

3.5 mil would have given us a tackle we won 12 games with last year. Now we are potentially looking at eric winston at the start of the season. And the Jets have some big boys on that DL.
Reply/Quote
(08-20-2016, 04:12 PM)NATI BENGALS Wrote: Other than Whit we have tackles on rookie contracts and i believe winston on veteran minimum. 

3.5 mil would have given us a tackle we won 12 games with last year. Now we are potentially looking at eric winston at the start of the season. And the Jets have some big boys on that DL.

We can not skrimp on any position.  But we also can't pay starter money to all of our backups.

Tt is impossible to pay all veterans to return every year.  No team in the league does that.
Reply/Quote
(08-20-2016, 04:23 PM)fredtoast Wrote: We can not skrimp on any position.  But we also can't pay starter money to all of our backups.

Tt is impossible to pay all veterans to return every year.  No team in the league does that.

Drafting quality rookies who can replace expensive veterans is the key to the Bengals success

You cannot predict or prevent injuries in football

when 250+ lb muscle bound men who run like cheetahs collide or get tangled up shit tears, rips, shreds and breaks

nothing a doctor can do or stop.........they just clean up the mess after the fact
Reply/Quote
(08-20-2016, 04:12 PM)NATI BENGALS Wrote: Other than Whit we have tackles on rookie contracts and i believe winston on veteran minimum. 

Just wanted to say last year we had the 6th hightest paid offensive line the nfl
Reply/Quote
I had/have zero issues with the Bengals taking 2 OTs in the draft. The issue I have is we drafted 2 OTs that pretty much are the same player. The were 2 of the lightest OTs taken. Neither really fit our mold of RT. We like them big.
[Image: bfine-guns2.png]

Reply/Quote
(08-20-2016, 11:22 AM)jfkbengals Wrote: When was picked up off of the street in mid-season is the only time he played well.

Not a Winston fan either.

Guess I am about to be unfortunately.

Hope he proves me wrong. 

The water tastes funny when you're far from your home,
yet it's only the thirsty that hunger to roam. 
          Roam the Jungle !
Reply/Quote
(08-21-2016, 01:15 PM)Go Cards Wrote: Not a Winston fan either.

Guess I am about to be unfortunately.

Hope he proves me wrong. 

He proved me wrong two years ago when he came in played better than expected, I see the same happening this year if he is thrust into a starting role for a limited time... 
Reply/Quote
Winston seemed to do a good job at first when we signed him off the street in '14, but by the playoff game he was getting abused.

But the #4 OT on every other team in the league is also going to be pretty lame.
Reply/Quote
Ogbuehi and Fisher are not the same player. Ogbuehi was drafted to be the left tackle of the future.
The idea that they should have retained Andre Smith because both Ogbuehi and Fisher are now injured is not really practical. Smith was OK, but his time had come to an end, unless he was going to sign a 1-year deal for the veteran minimum. Obviously he got more than that from Zimmer, which is a deal he should have taken. Both parties were ready to move on though.
And yes, find the fourth or fifth OT on any team and you're looking at guys who aren't that "good." They're in that position for a reason and they're often going to be low paid. Again, for a reason. I guess I buy the the fact that because Ogbuehi was moved up to starter they could have looked for a "better" fourth tackle option than Winston ... but at some point you need to find out if other, young guys, can play or maybe develop into something. But let's face it -- any team that loses a second or third tackle are going to be in a tough spot.
Beat writer for Cincinnati.com & The Enquirer. Follow along on Twitter, Facebook, Instagram and Periscope.
Reply/Quote