Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
"Five Bold Predictions for the 2020 Season"
Thumbs Up 
https://www.si.com/nfl/bengals/news/five-bold-predictions-for-2020-bengals

"Five Bold Predictions for the 2020 Season" as per SI.com.

Can't wait to get this season started!
Reply/Quote
The only one that seems bold is the first one.

The other four seem more of a likely to happen.

[Image: bengals08-1-800small.jpg]

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(08-09-2020, 08:52 PM)Murdock2420 Wrote: The only one that seems bold is the first one.

I'd say Burrow is the early favorite. I'd take the under on both TDs and interceptions if I were a betting man.
I'm gonna break every record they've got. I'm tellin' you right now. I don't know how I'm gonna do it, but it's goin' to get done.

- Ja'Marr Chase 
  April 2021
Reply/Quote
(08-09-2020, 08:52 PM)Murdock2420 Wrote: The only one that seems bold is the first one.

Huh? Burrow winning OROY is easily the least bold of the 5. I would say Mixon making the Pro Bowl is also not very bold of a statement, but Bengals players getting snubbed is nothing new. He should have made it the year he led the AFC in rushing.

Jessie Bates being a top 10 safety is the one that stands out to me. The potential is certainly there, but there’s a lot of really good safeties around the league.

Reply/Quote
@Murdock

Who do you think wins OROY? Tua? With those WR’s?

Reply/Quote

Rookie Quarterbacks will always be at the top of the list. An average season from a rookie quarterback is hard to beat for OROY. 

Kyler Murray is case and point... That said Burrow has alot more competition than Murray.
I have the Heart of a Lion! I also have a massive fine and a lifetime ban from the Pittsburgh Zoo...

Reply/Quote
(08-09-2020, 10:32 PM)Synric Wrote: Rookie Quarterbacks will always be at the top of the list. An average season from a rookie quarterback is hard to beat for OROY. 

Kyler Murray is case and point... That said Burrow has alot more competition than Murray.

Like who? Seems like it’s probably a 2 man race to me. And our receivers are crushing Miami’s.

I personally think Herbert is going to be pretty bad. And Love won’t even play unless Rodgers gets hurt.

Reply/Quote
Maybe CEH, but is he going to get the numbers in such a loaded KC offense?

Reply/Quote
(08-09-2020, 10:41 PM)Nicomo Cosca Wrote: Like who? Seems like it’s probably a 2 man race to me. And our receivers are crushing Miami’s.

I personally think Herbert is going to be pretty bad. And Love won’t even play unless Rodgers gets hurt.

Contrary to popular belief their are other positions in the race for OROY. Quarterbacks get the attention and Burrow, Tua, and Herbert will top the lists but there was ALOT of talented offensive players at then top of the draft.

The 2020 draft had 6 Wide Receivers and a Running Back in the first round and 7 Wide Receivers and 5 Running Backs in the second round. 
I have the Heart of a Lion! I also have a massive fine and a lifetime ban from the Pittsburgh Zoo...

Reply/Quote
(08-09-2020, 10:51 PM)Synric Wrote: Contrary to popular belief their are other positions in the race for OROY. Quarterbacks get the attention and Burrow, Tua, and Herbert will top the lists but there was ALOT of talented offensive players at then top of the draft.

The 2020 draft had 6 Wide Receivers and a Running Back in the first round and 7 Wide Receivers and 5 Running Backs in the second round. 

But you didn’t name anyone? Who do you see having the best shot from the non-QB’s?

Reply/Quote
(08-09-2020, 11:03 PM)Nicomo Cosca Wrote: But you didn’t name anyone? Who do you see having the best shot from the non-QB’s?

If I had to put MONEY on a OROY candidate it would be Johnathan Taylor.

Taylor is a workhorse running back with 6000+ yards and 50 touchdowns in his college career at Wisconsin. Taylor was drafted by a young talented Colts teams with a great offensive line and defense.

Reply/Quote
(08-09-2020, 11:07 PM)Synric Wrote: If I had to put MONEY on a OROY candidate it would be Johnathan Taylor.

Taylor is a workhorse running back with 6000+ yards and 50 touchdowns in his college career at Wisconsin. Taylor was drafted by a young talented Colts teams with a great offensive line and defense.

Interesting. They probably will have to rely heavily on the run with Rivers being ancient.

Reply/Quote
(08-09-2020, 11:03 PM)Nicomo Cosca Wrote: But you didn’t name anyone? Who do you see having the best shot from the non-QB’s?

Non-QB- D'Andre Swift

But my money's on Burrow
[Image: bfine-guns2.png]

Reply/Quote
(08-09-2020, 10:32 PM)Synric Wrote: Rookie Quarterbacks will always be at the top of the list. An average season from a rookie quarterback is hard to beat for OROY. 

I agree QB's usually get the look since they are high profile, but the competition is what I think makes this a more bold prediction, not too mention the unknowns:

1) With less interaction due to Covid, will it be harder for a rookie QB to adjust to the league then say a rookie RB? 
2) With the shortened off-season, how long till Burrow builds a good chemistry with his wideout, not too mention how long till the O-line gels?

It will be an interesting season.

Reply/Quote
(08-09-2020, 10:29 PM)Nicomo Cosca Wrote: @Murdock

Who do you think wins OROY? Tua? With those WR’s?

Competition for OROY

Jerry Jeudy 

Justin Jefferson (Especially being the #2 and with Thielen, Rudolph and Dalvin Cook, he will see a lot of one on one coverage)

As others mentioned D'Andre Swift and Jonathon Taylor have a chance to get a lot of use and as I mentioned above with the strange off-season due to Covid, the transition to the pro game will probably be a lot easier for a RB then a QB. 

And maybe... Justin Herbert if he starts. Simply based off stats, not trying to start a talent debate. The Chargers are bad, and will be playing from behind a lot, so if Herbert plays, he will be throwing more then Burrow I would hope. Unless the defensive signings the Bengals made all implode.

Reply/Quote
(08-10-2020, 03:59 AM)Murdock2420 Wrote: Competition for OROY

Jerry Jeudy 

Justin Jefferson (Especially being the #2 and with Thielen, Rudolph and Dalvin Cook, he will see a lot of one on one coverage)

As others mentioned D'Andre Swift and Jonathon Taylor have a chance to get a lot of use and as I mentioned above with the strange off-season due to Covid, the transition to the pro game will probably be a lot easier for a RB then a QB. 

And maybe... Justin Herbert if he starts. Simply based off stats, not trying to start a talent debate. The Chargers are bad, and will be playing from behind a lot, so if Herbert plays, he will be throwing more then Burrow I would hope. Unless the defensive signings the Bengals made all implode.

I’d be surprised to see Jeudy as a contender. I’m expecting Drew Lock to be the next Denver QB to flame out, but who knows. He did look decent in his limited starts last year.

The WR I think everyone is sleeping on is Lamb. I think he has the biggest season of any of the rookie receivers. Dak did throw for almost 5k Yds last year, and now he has another great weapon.

Reply/Quote
(08-09-2020, 10:21 PM)Nicomo Cosca Wrote: Huh? Burrow winning OROY is easily the least bold of the 5. I would say Mixon making the Pro Bowl is also not very bold of a statement, but Bengals players getting snubbed is nothing new. He should have made it the year he led the AFC in rushing.

Jessie Bates being a top 10 safety is the one that stands out to me. The potential is certainly there, but there’s a lot of really good safeties around the league.

Of the safeties in the league, 6 ranked in the top 100 list.

Jamal Adams, S, Seattle Seahawks (No. 27 overall)

Minkah Fitzpatrick, S, Pittsburgh Steelers (No. 35)

Tyrann Mathieu, S, Kansas City Chiefs (No. 39)

Harrison Smith, S, Minnesota Vikings (No. 64)

Earl Thomas, S, Baltimore Ravens (No. 75)

Budda Baker, S, Arizona Cardinals (No. 97)

After those its who:

Derwin James (electrifying when healthy. Have to see how he recovers.)

Anthony Harris Minnesota 

Justin Simmons Denver

Devin McCourty New England (Age has to catch up at some point)

Then who, Tre Boston, Jesse Bates, Vonn Bell, Jabrill Peppers??

I could see Jesse making it to the top 10. Should be a better front 7, which should increase his chances for INTs, and with the addition of Bell and the other DBs he might be able to drop back and just play a true center field Free Safety like and may put up some crazy numbers.

Reply/Quote
(08-10-2020, 04:12 AM)Nicomo Cosca Wrote: I’d be surprised to see Jeudy as a contender. I’m expecting Drew Lock to be the next Denver QB to flame out, but who knows. He did look decent in his limited starts last year.

The WR I think everyone is sleeping on is Lamb. I think he has the biggest season of any of the rookie receivers. Dak did throw for almost 5k Yds last year, and now he has another great weapon.

I only added Juedy because I think Lock showed promise at the end of the year and he won't be counted one as the number 1 guy there either. Melvin Gordon is still a threat, and Denver loves to use their TE's. I think Fant will have a big break out season.

Lamb, I am not sure will show up too much this year and it is just due to his place on the depth chart. Cooper and Gallup in front of him and last year Dak learned how to rely on his TE, granted he no longer has the ageless wonder Witten (He will look weird as a Raider) but I think Lamb will be a victim of limited targets.

Reply/Quote
(08-10-2020, 04:13 AM)Murdock2420 Wrote: Of the safeties in the league, 6 ranked in the top 100 list.

Jamal Adams, S, Seattle Seahawks (No. 27 overall)

Minkah Fitzpatrick, S, Pittsburgh Steelers (No. 35)

Tyrann Mathieu, S, Kansas City Chiefs (No. 39)

Harrison Smith, S, Minnesota Vikings (No. 64)

Earl Thomas, S, Baltimore Ravens (No. 75)

Budda Baker, S, Arizona Cardinals (No. 97)

After those its who:

Derwin James (electrifying when healthy. Have to see how he recovers.)

Anthony Harris Minnesota 

Justin Simmons Denver

Devin McCourty New England (Age has to catch up at some point)

Then who, Tre Boston, Jesse Bates, Vonn Bell, Jabrill Peppers??

I could see Jesse making it to the top 10. Should be a better front 7, which should increase his chances for INTs, and with the addition of Bell and the other DBs he might be able to drop back and just play a true center field Free Safety like and may put up some crazy numbers.

Micah Hyde from Buffalo graded out pretty well last season, and was part of an elite defense. I’m not saying I’d be shocked if Bates cracked the top 10, I just think it’s the least likely of the 5 predictions. There was also some really good safeties taken in this draft (Xavier McKinney, Grant Delpit, etc).

Reply/Quote
(08-09-2020, 11:12 PM)Nicomo Cosca Wrote: Interesting. They probably will have to rely heavily on the run with Rivers being ancient.

They also have Marlon Mack, so they will be sharing duties.  
Reply/Quote