Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Five Ways To Improve The NFL
Firing Roger Goodell would be a good start.
Everything in this post is my fault.
Reply/Quote
(05-29-2018, 03:25 PM)Sled21 Wrote: I take it you've never been to Texas......lol.

It's not a numbers thing, it is an "optics" thing. The NFL is fed by colleges, which are fed by High Schools. Traditionally, Friday night is for the High School games, Saturdays are for Colleges, and Sundays are for the Pros. Showing games on Friday nights just would not go over well in many parts of the country, as it would be seen as taking away from High School students and their "game of the weeks"....

I lived in the DFW area quite awhile. I don't think it's much of a stretch to say that if Texas were given a choice between having huge hs football stadiums or simply stop educating children the kids will lose out 100 out of 100 times . My sister's grandkids were 'educated' there. . Now all in their 20s they all still live with grandma ..and their mother has been in prison the majority of their lives .
Reply/Quote
(05-30-2018, 01:18 PM)grampahol Wrote: I lived in the DFW area quite awhile. I don't think it's much of a stretch to say that if Texas were given a choice between having huge hs football stadiums or simply stop educating children the kids will lose out 100 out of 100 times . My sister's grandkids were 'educated' there. . Now all in their 20s they all still live with grandma ..and their mother has been in prison the majority of their lives .

My daughters attend Alcoa High School.  They have won the State Football Championship (2A/3A) 11 times since 2004.  They play on artificial turf, and last year they bought the "jumbotron" that used to hang in Purdue's stadium.  Yet they do not even have a drama department.  I have never heard of a high school that does not put on some sort of play every year.
Reply/Quote
(05-30-2018, 01:31 PM)fredtoast Wrote: My daughters attend Alcoa High School.  They have won the State Football Championship (2A/3A) 11 times since 2004.  They play on artificial turf, and last year they bought the "jumbotron" that used to hang in Purdue's stadium.  Yet they do not even have a drama department.  I have never heard of a high school that does not put on some sort of play every year.

There's your answer.  It seems like their team provides an ample supply of the real life human drama of athletic competition.  Ninja
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]

Volson is meh, but I like him, and he has far exceeded my expectations

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
I only agree with #1 the rest is kinda of pushing it.
https://twitter.com/JAKEAKAJ24
J24

Jessie Bates left the Bengals and that makes me sad!
Reply/Quote
(05-30-2018, 01:31 PM)fredtoast Wrote: My daughters attend Alcoa High School.  They have won the State Football Championship (2A/3A) 11 times since 2004.  They play on artificial turf, and last year they bought the "jumbotron" that used to hang in Purdue's stadium.  Yet they do not even have a drama department.  I have never heard of a high school that does not put on some sort of play every year.

I used to go to Houston and Austin quite a bit. I remember my first drive to Houston, we were seemingly out in the middle of nowhere and passed this huge football stadium. I was looking to see what college it was.... and it was some rinky dink High School that had a better stadium than Eastern KY University did during the 4 years I attended there and they were the 1AA National Champions twice and Runner's up twice. And I'm not talking aluminum bleachers, I'm talking full on brick/concrete stadium....
Reply/Quote
One way would be to drop the politics, and tend to the Business at hand. PLAYING FOOTBALL!
Reply/Quote
(05-29-2018, 11:42 AM)ochocincos Wrote: I think Thursday games should be moved. It was probably an effort to avoid putting games on Saturdays to overlap with college and Fridays to overlap with high school, but college now has games (and occasionally some pretty good matchups) on Thursdays and Fridays. Therefore, I'd like to see the Thursday game moved to Friday or Saturday, as I'd much rather watch a primetime NFL game on Friday or Saturday than watch another college game or especially a high school game.

I'm also in favor of having a better bye week schedule. Give a second bye week and/or have fewer eligible bye weeks. Having some teams have a bye week in Week 5 whereas others have to wait until Week 11 is crazy long. Just do weeks 7-10 with eight teams off each week or something like that. Given fantasy football seems to be driving so much of actual NFL these days anyways, I'm sure fantasy football players would prefer fewer weeks where they had to worry about bye week fill-ins.

(05-29-2018, 11:55 AM)sandwedge Wrote: I'll be honest, Thursday night NFL really does nothing for me, unless we play. I might watch a few minutes here and there, but don't really care. Maybe it's over saturation, or as I have gotten older just realized there are plenty other things more important. I'd like to see just Sunday 10 AM and 1 PM games and the Monday Night game, they way it used to be. Heck even the MNF games are pretty boring most times.

First off reps to Brad, nice thread and well thought out.

I agree with you guys, i would move the Thursday night games to Friday or Saturday. This would make these games
not hurt teams as much and the time frame wouldn't be so weird.

Also a thought is to move Monday Night games to Fox or one of the other stations instead of ESPN who i think does a
poor job. They seem to be going down anyways and i haven't cared for ESPN for like the last 10 years.

I liked the Grude but he is a HC now.

BTW, i do understand #1 as the best records should get the top seeds. Winning your Division in a weak one shouldn't
put teams with a better record in a strong Division on the road.
Reply/Quote
(05-30-2018, 02:22 PM)firstand10 Wrote: One way would be to drop the politics, and tend to the Business at hand. PLAYING FOOTBALL!

Yes, the best thing they could do is to stop making it the No Fun League.

Sissying it up is ruining the game.
Reply/Quote