Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Fix It Now MDD Simulation
It is pretty obvious that there are somethings that the Bengals need to correct if they wish to take home the important hardware. To start with and maybe most importantly is the offensive line. When you look across the board at the top offensive line, Philly, overall blocking grade to ours it is pretty glaring:

Mailata - 84.1 Brown Jr. - 66.1
Dickerson - 70.0 Volson - 58.3
Kelce - 80.7 Karra - 67.4
Jurgens - 63.0 Cappa - 64.9
Johnson - 80.9 Williams - 58.5

This is about winning in the trenches and it is apparent that the Bengals are not doing that regularly on offense. If they want to win now it must start to be corrected. On the other side of the ball the story could be much the same.

Bengals were ranked 31st in run defense as well as 28th in passing defense. Again, I believe this speaks to winning in the trenches. On defense I believe that is more about the middle of the defense rather than the edges where we know Hubbard and Hendrickson both can get after the passer and are both pretty stout against the run.

In this simulation the two tackles I had targeted for the Bengals #16 Latham and #19 Mims were both off of the board when the Bengals selected. At first this was rather disappointing to me until I started considering how this could be worked to the advantage of the team. At this point I turned to the contingency plan and that was to use the 18th selection as a means of positioning the team to fill glaring needs with good value selections. Following is how that turned out.
Reply/Quote

I had another OT targeted and graded right behind Latham and Mims and by trading down I could position the Bengals to make this selection as well as position them for better value selections in the following rounds. By packaging the Bengals 1st and 3rd round selections I was able to drop down in the first while adding a 2nd round selection and move up in the 3rd. 

I was then able to use the 3rd round selection to drop down and add another 4th round high value selection.
Reply/Quote
The Draft:

Reply/Quote
RD. 1

[Image: images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQdDW8jDn815tRtz9CEfmh...A&usqp=CAU]

Kingsley Suamataia - OT - BYU - 6'6" 330

While I feel that Latham, some may disagree, is the most NFL ready RT in the draft and that Mims may have the most upside...Kingsley is not far behind either one. Kingsley brings outstanding size, length, and athleticism to the position and good physicality as well. He will only be 21 in the '24 season. When you watch tape on Kingsley you will see a kid that plays with technique and IQ that are above his years. In the run game you will see this kid sticking with a play 50 yards or more down the field. He plays with a high motor and his recognition of what is happening on the field is very apparent. I see a kid that should have no issue starting Day 1 at RT and provides you a high level option at LT if needed.

RD. 2

[Image: images?q=tbn:ANd9GcSEu4XGQBKUgCxqNXp2By6...Q&usqp=CAU]

Jonathon Brooks - RB - Texas - 6'0" 210

I have supported Joe Mixon while he has been with this franchise but I feel like it is time for this team to move in another direction at the position. Trey Benson was off the board or he would have been the selection here but I consider Benson to be RB1a and Brooks to be RB2b. I feel that both are extremely outstanding backs that are ready to contribute heavily to an NFL offense on day 1. Brooks plays with elite vision and football IQ and was utilized more in the passing game than was Benson which to some could give him the edge. Brooks is very capable in pass protection which is a real plus for young backs getting on the field. The duo of Brooks and Brown should make for a much more dynamic running game for the Bengals.
Reply/Quote
RD. 3

[Image: images?q=tbn:ANd9GcT7aX3kyje9DJMo0E57Rrl...w&usqp=CAU]

Cooper Beebe - OG - Kansas State - 6'4" 330

Beebe very well could be the physically dominating lineman in the entire draft. He does not look to just block his opponent he blocks with pure nasty intention and looks to put his opponent on the ground every single down. As a pass protector he is the definition of anchor. Beebe has elite football IQ and elite pure natural power. Beebe is athletic enough that he has even played LT for Kansas State but should be a day 1 high caliber contributor at either guard position but certainly should not have a problem displacing Volson at LG where he played for Kansas State in '23. The Bengals have not had a physically dominating guard like Beebe in many, many years.

RD. 3

[Image: images?q=tbn:ANd9GcS8cuPICtRs9ffBPI6zoE0...w&usqp=CAU]

Cedric Gray - LB - North Carolina - 6' 2 1/2" 235

There is just one way to describe Gray and that is playmaker. Whether in the passing game, coverage, or getting after the QB. Much like Pratt and Wilson he is a well rounded backer that can make plays in all phases of the game and who comes with better speed than either Pratt or Wilson. There has been a drop off in play behind both of these guys and while some may not consider linebacker as a real need for the team, the value of the Gray selection was not something I was willing to pass on. While he may not be asked to he is a kid that could be a real contributor from day 1 and as the selections in this draft before him he comes with extremely high football IQ.
Reply/Quote
RD. 4

[Image: images?q=tbn:ANd9GcTnBElaVY49KY82x81zrNJ...A&usqp=CAU]

DeWayne Carter - DT - Duke - 6'3" 305

Carter is the 3 tech that the Bengals have been missing since Geno and again he is a guy that shows every play that he understands the game and processes at an elite level. He is a three down player that is ready to contribute on day 1 and I do believe if he were at a Bama or Ohio State the he is a round 2 player all day long. At this point he is a better run defender that he is a pass rusher but that is fine for the Bengals at this point. That is not to say he cannot get after the QB given that he has had 54 pressures and 10 sacks over the last two seasons. His pass rushing tools can be coached but the motor and effort that comes natural for him cannot be coached. The knock on him is length but as was seen with Geno this can be countered by leverage.

RD. 4

[Image: images?q=tbn:ANd9GcTwM6flJ6_VcpKG6aTo2Uj...A&usqp=CAU]

Cam Hart - CB - Notre Dame - 6' 2" 200

Hard comes with elite size and length with really good long speed. He is versatile in that he can play man press coverage or zone and has shown good ball skills. Hart needs to work on playing with his back to the QB which could simply be gaining trust in his abilities and instincts. Overall, he is a mature and experienced CB that has played a lot of high level football at a high profile program and none of it has been too big for him. He should be a great addition to the DB room and could be really important if Ivey is not recovered from his injury early on.
Reply/Quote
RD. 5

[Image: images?q=tbn:ANd9GcTsJY_xJKFYA6BPXmBQd3B...A&usqp=CAU]

Javion Cohen - OG - Miami - 6'4" 305

Cohen began his career at Bama and played LT and LG. He transferred to Miami for his senior season where he worked solely at LG. Length is a concern which could explain his move from tackle to guard. Cohen plays with good athleticism and his work as an OT is apparent in his pass protection at OG. Cohen shows really good movement skills while pulling and getting to the second level. He will need to continue to work on his strength and some technique issues at the NFL level. While he is not physically dominating he does display good anchor and his awareness and football IQ could be a good reason he has been credited with 1 sack in his career by some sources while other sources credit him with 0 sacks in his collegiate career.

RD. 5

[Image: images?q=tbn:ANd9GcTRsUac81MdXgc4srE-491...w&usqp=CAU]

Jordan Jefferson - DT - LSU - 6'4" 315

If DJ Reader returns in '24 the Bengals need a NT that can step in and stop the run at a high level to give Reader a breather. If Reader is not back the Bengals need a NT that can step in and stop the run at a high level on a regular basis in their rotation. Jefferson should fit in either case. Jefferson comes with a really explosive first step for a guy of his size and he plays with a high motor and good natural power. He will need to continue to learn to work against double teams but his ability to draw double teams should help to keep other defenders clean. He is not a big threat as a pass rusher but his strength is certainly stopping the run which is absolutely needed in the AFC North.
Reply/Quote
RD. 6

[Image: images?q=tbn:ANd9GcTtHdmoCC42ixMrGYkIwOn...g&usqp=CAU]

Theo Johnson - TE - Penn State - 6'6" 260

Theo is experienced as a blocker which is extremely important for a Bengals TE and while he is strong in this area he matches that as a receiver with his natural hands, route running, and his ability to produce additional yards after the catch. He has displayed his ability to recognize the soft spots in zones and to settle into them to make himself available to the QB. While he may not be explosive with his speed he does have very good deep speed and can threaten the backend of a defense. With his ability to block Johnson could very well be an immediate contributor to the Bengals offense.

RD. 7

[Image: images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQNG8pyR9U49C7YZq_JkYR...w&usqp=CAU]

Deontre Prince - CB - Mississippi - 6'0" 185

Prince has saw extensive playing time his entire career at Mississippi even playing in 10 games as a true freshman. Prince has shown very high instincts for the position as well as high level awareness of route recognition. While he has shown the ability to play the boundary as a man defender he has really shined as a slot defender. He is a well versed CB who should really add to the overall depth of the DB room and the ability to stand up to pass happy offenses. Prince will need to continue to add strength and mass to help him in run support but he is a willing tackler.

RD. 7

[Image: images?q=tbn:ANd9GcROVrVq3EBt1VxgmH7EFOI...g&usqp=CAU]

Jalen Coker - WR - Holy Cross - 6'1" 207

Coker has been one of the top receivers in the FCS and he plays with elite ball tracking and catch abilities. Coker runs the full route tree and has shown the ability to line up all across the formation. Level of competition would be the immediate concern with Coker but with the receiver room that the Bengals should be able to work him slowly to aid his growth at the NFL level. If he can continue to grow and show that his natural abilities at the FCS level can transition to the NFL the Bengals could have a real steal with this young man.
Reply/Quote