Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Fixing starting weak links is Public Relations Gold that the Bengals should embrace
Listening to local Sports Radio since the Cordy Glenn trade reveals the benefits of addressing what are commonly thought to be weak starting spots on the team. Fans and radio hosts shocked (but in a good way) by the out of character move the Bengals made to get Cordy Glenn to fix a problem. The left tackle problem.

A Public Relations home run for the Bengals.

Optimism on the Radio, around local workplaces, offices and even on Fan Message Boards.

If the Bengals were to tap into the Public Relations value that certain moves have with Fans, they could improve what most fans see as the weakest starting links on the team, while also bringing back fan interest.

It has been common to hear fans say we need a Left Tackle, Center, Linebacker for example.

When fans see weak areas addressed with players that they believe in, more of the fans themselves begin to have a personal stake in wanting to see if they themselves were right about how fixing the weak areas would improve the team.

When fans see weak links remain in starting spots and not addressed, then many of those fans lose a certain amount of optimism and possibly interest.

Consensus themes of two or three positions that need upgraded tend to permeate through the fan base and many times that consensus is correct.

For example, a dominant Center seems to be on the wish list by many fans.

What would be the Public Relations impact with fans of re-signing Bodine versus drafting say center James Daniels in round 1 ?

The Public Relations needle likely goes up with a James Daniels pick and with that likely fan interest and optimism goes up.

Whenever fan consensus of a glaring weakness and the Bengals own recognition of that weakness coincide, then the Bengals have much to gain by fixing that weakness.

They become on the same page as the fans with that specific issue, which makes the fans feel like more of a partner in the attempt to fix the problem. Hope rises.

As fans see weak areas being focused on for improvement, they themselves start believing again.

The Bengals Front Office is being praised for the Cordy Glenn move.

Tapping into this concept with a few more starting weak link upgrades that are a consensus hit with fans could end up being a win/win for the Bengals Front Office, on and off the field.
Reply/Quote
Great thread Depthchart, reps.

The Cordy Glenn trade was a great start and getting Chris Baker was not a bad move either. If the FO keeps this up and lets
Bodine go and brings in a speedy Linebacker and drafts a top Center and RT fans will believe as you say. Still a lot of guys on
here that said this was a great start but they need to see more. I am with them as Merv is still the HC, but i find the Pollack
grab to be bigger than most on here.

Same with Van Pelt, and hopefully Teryl Austin gets this Defense more disciplined so they can be more aggressive.

The FO cannot just sit on their hands after the great trade either is what i guess we are getting at.
Reply/Quote
Sorry to burst your bubble, but there is no team in the league who bases their decisions on what the fans want to do. Everyteam is ran by a GM/owner who does what he thinks is best to help the team win. He hires lots of people with lots of football experience and knowledge who know much more than the fan base.

Sometimes an owner will decide to use a year or two to re-build instead of win immediately, but even then he is trying to do what is best in the long run.
Reply/Quote
The last couple of years the front office has done a crappy job of marketing their brand. We can't go to the car dealership to buy a new car and have the salesman pull out a car with dents and scratches and the engine doesn't run and expect us to pay for it and want our repeat business. Hopefully they have learned that their brand is crap if they don't try to improve it every offseason.
Reply/Quote
(03-14-2018, 04:05 PM)Nate (formerly eliminate08) Wrote: Great thread Depthchart, reps.

The Cordy Glenn trade was a great start and getting Chris Baker was not a bad move either. If the FO keeps this up and lets
Bodine go and brings in a speedy Linebacker and drafts a top Center and RT fans will believe as you say. Still a lot of guys on
here that said this was a great start but they need to see more. I am with them as Merv is still the HC, but i find the Pollack grab to be bigger than most on here.

Same with Van Pelt, and hopefully Teryl Austin gets this Defense more disciplined so they can be more aggressive.

The FO cannot just sit on their hands after the great trade either is what i guess we are getting at.

Pollack offers a fresh set of eyes on the O-line and hopefully he can have some influence on which players to get going forward. Change things up a bit.

I would think the Bengals would enjoy the positive reactions fans are giving them now over getting Cordy Glenn and would want to build on that with more moves that please fans. Not letting fan consensus totally dictate what moves to make but keeping the pulse of what positions a consensus of fans think are weak areas. Should the Bengals agree that they are weak areas, then leaning to a move that will please the masses could be a deciding last factor between taking say a solid Center in round 1 versus an equally solid Cornerback, for example.

Factor in consensus fan pleasing as a draft factor to at least consider to improve Public Relations, retain more fans and build hope for the team.  A "know your customer" business benefit.

Treat it as a feather to put on the scale to maybe tip the scale towards say a Center in round 1. (assuming the talent between two players being considered at two different positions is very close)  (don't pass on a much better player just to please fans but make it a factor)

The Cordy Glenn move was a definite fan pleaser.
Reply/Quote
(03-14-2018, 04:27 PM)fredtoast Wrote: Sorry to burst your bubble, but there is no team in the league who bases their decisions on what the fans want to do.  Everyteam is ran by a GM/owner who does what he thinks is best to help the team win.  He hires lots of people with lots of football experience and knowledge who know much more than the fan base.

Sometimes an owner will decide to use a year or two to re-build instead of win immediately, but even then he is trying to do what is best in the long run.

See my Post #5.

Treat it as a feather on a scale that can be factored in, if and when a GM agrees with that fan consensus.
Reply/Quote
(03-14-2018, 04:05 PM)Nate (formerly eliminate08) Wrote: Great thread Depthchart, reps.

here that said this was a great start but they need to see more. I am with them as Merv is still the HC, but i find the Pollack
grab to be bigger than most on here.

I like the Glenn signing,however I am concerned they might have given up too much to get him.Giving up a 12 to move to 21 is a bigtime move and it could backfire.I do not think he was worth that much.We took the guys huge payday,ate it and still gave them our 12 pick?? That's a concern that could easily backfire.He is taking a ton of money from our bank and he is not even played a down.I am glad they did something,but I feel they should have bartered a little better.You are allowing a ton of 1st rounders slide past you by moving to the 21st.And we are probably going to miss out on some top picks that we wanted.Bad move to me.gave too much up for this guy.He better be a big time player all day long
Reply/Quote
(03-14-2018, 04:27 PM)fredtoast Wrote: Sorry to burst your bubble, but there is no team in the league who bases their decisions on what the fans want to do.  Everyteam is ran by a GM/owner who does what he thinks is best to help the team win.  He hires lots of people with lots of football experience and knowledge who know much more than the fan base.

Better give the fans some consideration. We already had one of the most empty stadiums in the NFL last year.

Sorry to say it but the fans DO know some things and it has shown for many years. To not value the Center position for example
is down right assinine. Lots of fans know better than this.

(03-14-2018, 04:49 PM)depthchart Wrote: Pollack offers a fresh set of eyes on the O-line and hopefully he can have some influence on which players to get going forward. Change things up a bit.

I would think the Bengals would enjoy the positive reactions fans are giving them now over getting Cordy Glenn and would want to build on that with more moves that please fans. Not letting fan consensus totally dictate what moves to make but keeping the pulse of what positions a consensus of fans think are weak areas. Should the Bengals agree that they are weak areas, then leaning to a move that will please the masses could be a deciding last factor between taking say a solid Center in round 1 versus an equally solid Cornerback, for example.

Factor in consensus fan pleasing as a draft factor to at least consider to improve Public Relations, retain more fans and build hope for the team.  A "know your customer" business benefit.

Treat it as a feather to put on the scale to maybe tip the scale towards say a Center in round 1. (assuming the talent between two players being considered at two different positions is very close)  (don't pass on a much better player just to please fans but make it a factor)

The Cordy Glenn move was a definite fan pleaser.

:andy:

(03-14-2018, 05:02 PM)fortyyearfan Wrote: I like the Glenn signing,however I am concerned they might have given up too much to get him.Giving up a 12 to move to 21 is a bigtime move and it could backfire.I do not think he was worth that much.We took the guys huge payday,ate it and still gave them our 12 pick?? That's a concern that could easily backfire.He is taking a ton of money from our bank and he is not even played a down.I am glad they did something,but I feel they should have bartered a little better.You are allowing a ton of 1st rounders slide past you by moving to the 21st.And we are probably going to miss out on some top picks that we wanted.Bad move to me.gave too much up for this guy.He better be a big time player all day long

Nope, Glenn is proven and even if we had the first pick of the 1st round every year the Draft is a crapshoot.

You never know how a Draft pick will turn out. Cordy Glenn on the other hand is a proven NFL player.

We got great value here, pretty much picking up Glenn at pick 12 who is more proven than any LT that we could pick
and still getting to pick in the first round at 21 where we can just add another talent. Great move and gets better by the
minute. Now if we trade Burfict to the Raiders like i am hearing we better get their first round pick or i will be pissed.
Reply/Quote
(03-14-2018, 04:27 PM)fredtoast Wrote: Sorry to burst your bubble, 

I seriously doubt that.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote