Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Anyone still drive a stick shift?
(01-08-2016, 03:36 PM)Wyche Wrote: True....I did notice that after I quoted your post. Smirk

That's gotta stand for somethin'.....

i swear i didn't go back and fix my original post....its all in your imagination.
Reply/Quote
(01-08-2016, 04:17 PM)bengal_fan_in_toronto Wrote: i swear i didn't go back and fix my original post....its all in your imagination.

Now I'm all confused....... Tongue

"Better send those refunds..."

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(01-07-2016, 07:28 PM)fredtoast Wrote: However, after driving an automatic for the last ten years I recently drove a friends car that had a stick shift.  It really seemed like too much trouble to bother with.

I am sure the big difference is that fact that I used to drive with a lot heavier foot and loved to rev the shit out of an engine.  Now I rarely drive fast at all.

Fred got old.
Reply/Quote
(01-07-2016, 07:28 PM)fredtoast Wrote: For the first forty years of my life pretty much every vehicle I ever owned was a stick shift.  I loved rowing through the gears and thought automatic transmissions were for wimps.

However, after driving an automatic for the last ten years I recently drove a friends car that had a stick shift.  It really seemed like too much trouble to bother with.

I am sure the big difference is that fact that I used to drive with a lot heavier foot and loved to rev the shit out of an engine.  Now I rarely drive fast at all.

I have also noticed that very few new cars even have a stick shift as an option.  Anyone out there still drive one on a daily basis?

I own two five speeds.

I enjoy driving them more than automatics and the engines last longer.
Reply/Quote
(01-08-2016, 07:55 PM)Nate (formerly eliminate08) Wrote: I own two five speeds.

I enjoy driving them more than automatics and the engines last longer.

Cheaper on the MPG if you know what you're doing as well.
Reply/Quote
(01-08-2016, 10:37 AM)bengal_fan_in_toronto Wrote: i drive an auto and even if i bought a second car as a toy i'd still prefer it's auto.  can't text, drink beer, read the paper with a stick shift.

Sure you can...

(01-08-2016, 01:58 PM)Belsnickel Wrote: I drive automatics, but I have a Subaru where I can switch it over to be able to manually shift the gears. I love this because if I want to control what gear I am in, which living in mountain country is handy, I can. But if I am just tooling around in the city I just leave it on automatic.

What's funny is that even with my years as a drummer I never could get the coordination down on the clutch. So a clutchless manual is perfect for me.

Last time I was up your way I was driving my ladies new Rav4 which does that.  I did it to cross the mountain, and she flipped, acting as if it was going to break the thing.
Reply/Quote
(01-08-2016, 08:28 PM)treee Wrote: Cheaper on the MPG if you know what you're doing as well.

Five speeds used to get better highway gas mileage because they had a taller top gear than automatics.  Don't know if that is still true.
Reply/Quote
(01-13-2016, 01:19 AM)fredtoast Wrote: Five speeds used to get better highway gas mileage because they had a taller top gear than automatics.  Don't know if that is still true.

back in my day, when buying a car, getting automatic was an upgrade therefore an expensive option....not sure if that rings true anymore either?  if i'm not mistaken, when i bought my last brand new car, the 6 speed manual was the more expensive option?  its been several years so i'm drawing a blank.
Reply/Quote
(01-12-2016, 09:31 PM)jfkbengals Wrote: Last time I was up your way I was driving my ladies new Rav4 which does that.  I did it to cross the mountain, and she flipped, acting as if it was going to break the thing.

It works really well for Afton. Really handy for 33 and 250, handy but not as necessary on I64.
Reply/Quote
(01-12-2016, 09:31 PM)jfkbengals Wrote: Sure you can...

Last time I was up your way I was driving my ladies new Rav4 which does that.  I did it to cross the mountain, and she flipped, acting as if it was going to break the thing.

Yeah....our last Jetta had the slap shift....pretty fun to drive, but nothing beats trying to cram the clutch pedal through the floorboard during a shift. Cool

"Better send those refunds..."

Reply/Quote
I will say the hardest thing about driving a car with the steering wheel on the opposite side was shifting gears with the opposite hand.
[Image: bfine-guns2.png]

Reply/Quote
(01-13-2016, 06:53 PM)bfine32 Wrote: I will say the hardest thing about driving a car with the steering wheel on the opposite side was shifting gears with the opposite hand.

Which non-domestic car was that?
Reply/Quote
(01-14-2016, 12:07 PM)Emphasis Wrote: Which non-domestic car was that?

[Image: mitsubishi-canter-5605e00b49_t.jpg]
[Image: bfine-guns2.png]

Reply/Quote