Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Flores files a class action suit against the NFL
He's alleging the league is or has been using discriminatory hiring practices for head coaching positions . It kind of goes along with the wall of silence in regards to a few other issues many people have accused the league of over the years up to and including game fixing which as far as I can tell is legal, but goes unreported. Flores also alleged the Fins owner offered him $100,000 per game to tank to get the number one pick which I assume at the time was none other than one Joe Burrow.. Allegedly he learned about the NY job through Belichick sending a tweet or message congratulating Brian for getting the job. The problem was it was the wrong Brian sent before his interview for the Giants job.. In other words they had already decided, but under the so called Rooney rule they had to interview at least one minority applicant.. 
Personally I hope he wins, but in either case he'll never coach in the league again win, lose or draw.. Heck of a way to go out standing up for what you believe is right. 
In the immortal words of my old man, "Wait'll you get to be my age!"

Chicago sounds rough to the maker of verse, but the one comfort we have is Cincinnati sounds worse. ~Oliver Wendal Holmes Sr.

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(02-02-2022, 01:09 PM)grampahol Wrote: He's alleging the league is or has been using discriminatory hiring practices for head coaching positions . It kind of goes along with the wall of silence in regards to a few other issues many people have accused the league of over the years up to and including game fixing which as far as I can tell is legal, but goes unreported. Flores also alleged the Fins owner offered him $100,000 per game to tank to get the number one pick which I assume at the time was none other than one Joe Burrow.. Allegedly he learned about the NY job through Belichick sending a tweet or message congratulating Brian for getting the job. The problem was it was the wrong Brian sent before his interview for the Giants job.. In other words they had already decided, but under the so called Rooney rule they had to interview at least one minority applicant.. 
Personally I hope he wins, but in either case he'll never coach in the league again win, lose or draw.. Heck of a way to go out standing up for what you believe is right. 

Not sure what he can win....  Others can lose though.
Reply/Quote
(02-02-2022, 01:09 PM)grampahol Wrote: He's alleging the league is or has been using discriminatory hiring practices for head coaching positions . It kind of goes along with the wall of silence in regards to a few other issues many people have accused the league of over the years up to and including game fixing which as far as I can tell is legal, but goes unreported. Flores also alleged the Fins owner offered him $100,000 per game to tank to get the number one pick which I assume at the time was none other than one Joe Burrow.. Allegedly he learned about the NY job through Belichick sending a tweet or message congratulating Brian for getting the job. The problem was it was the wrong Brian sent before his interview for the Giants job.. In other words they had already decided, but under the so called Rooney rule they had to interview at least one minority applicant.. 

Definitely not a lawyer but i question how the comments from someone that has no affiliation to the hiring organization can hold up in any lawsuit...but i guess in civil litigations anything can go.

That aside, I think this brings attention to the Rooney Rule.  Flores' beef should be with the NFL for forcing that situation with it's teams.  The Rooney Rule (while intended to help) created this situation.  

This isn't just a football problem either, it's a workforce problem.  If I want to hire someone for a position on my team and I already know who I want, i still have to interview outside candidates as per my HR.  There is no real solution for this problem or it would've been solved decades ago.  
-The only bengals fan that has never set foot in Cincinnati 1-15-22
Reply/Quote
Marvin Lewis was on First Take this morning and it appears he went through the same thing.  Didn't make a big deal of it because that's who Marvin is, but he did mention it.

http://www.espn.com/video/clip?id=33200858

I would think that there is some merit to what Flores is saying.  However, a team may just really want a particular person to be the head coach but the Rooney Rule dictates how they are actually going to get there.  Now saying a particular organization or the league itself is racist because they already have someone picked out but are subject to league rules and therefor cannot hire that person without interviewing others, I think is a bit of a stretch.

Flores did get 1 of 32 head coaching jobs on the planet and he was interviewed to replace a minority head coach (Vance Joseph) in Denver, so I'm not so sure his case will go anywhere.  The Dolphins may be in serious trouble with the league for getting caught trying to throw games.

I wish they would've waited until after the Super Bowl to bring this up rather than muddy the waters of our Cinderella season.
Thanks a lot. Whatever
"Our offensive line is going to surprise a lot of people" - Mike Brown (7-26-21)
Reply/Quote
Flores' career is over, which is the unfortunate consequence to anyone who calls out the practices of anything like the NFL or MLB. Curt Flood was a MLB player who refused to be traded and likened the reserve clause (which was a clause in a player's contract that did not allow that player to sign with other teams, even after the contract expired. The only way they could sign with another team is if the team owner traded or released them outright) to slavery and fought it all the way to the Supreme Court.

He lost his case and his career ended before the reserve clause was ever removed (he retired in 1971, the reserve clause was removed and free agency was created in 1975). But his case created the support among players and fans needed to eventually force teams to remove the reserve clause and create free agency.

He sacrificed his career for a cause that he did not benefit from, but others in the future did.

I could see the same being the case for Flores.

I'm not sure exactly what that will look like. I don't think a minimum number of black head coaches is correct or anything like that. But I could see this lawsuit creating some kind of change in the coming years.
Reply/Quote
i think the biggest thing here would be the PAID for Tanking.... Paying extra outside of contracts to hurt the game... (similar to bounty Gate)

That's a thing that should get owners removed as it hurts the Appearance of the competitive nature the NFL wants to have.
Reply/Quote
1.) He was hired and fired by a black guy.

2.) The Rooney rule has always been BS from the get go. Its only purpose was to make NFL look like it was doing something for black coaches. The Token interview has always been a problem associated with the Rooney rule since its inception.

3.) I'm confused why an Owner would want to tank that bad. Not saying tanking doesn't happen but to pay a coach 100,000 a game seems a bit obtuse on the owners part. It's not like Burrow was considered an all time prospect either. Also if true the Owner would be banned for life
https://twitter.com/JAKEAKAJ24
J24

Jessie Bates left the Bengals and that makes me sad!
Reply/Quote
The only thing the text message actually proves is that their mind was made up, but it does not prove that it was due to racism. I don't think a civil lawsuit will go anywhere if the only evidence is the text.

That said, the text shows they definitely sidestepped the intent of the Rooney rule, and they should get some kind of punishment from the league for that.
Reply/Quote
(02-02-2022, 05:02 PM)XenoMorph Wrote: i think the biggest thing here would be the PAID for Tanking....  Paying extra outside of contracts to hurt the game...   (similar to bounty Gate)

That's a thing that should get owners removed as it hurts the Appearance of the competitive nature the NFL wants to have.

It's something that seems to get glossed over a lot, but that is big. Yeah, we know about the Suck for Luck and things like that, but it was mostly just talk. If teams were firmly attempting to throw games, and there's proof of that, it would be massive. Remember that the Congress and antitrust laws have been bird shooting at the NFL for a bit of time. Making a full effort to determine the outcome of the game is big problem. They end up as real as wrestling. Especially now that gambling is becoming more legal, the ramifications could be huge.
Like a teenage girl driving a Ferrari. 
Reply/Quote
(02-03-2022, 12:28 AM)Destro Wrote: It's something that seems to get glossed over a lot, but that is big. Yeah, we know about the Suck for Luck and things like that, but it was mostly just talk. If teams were firmly attempting to throw games, and there's proof of that, it would be massive. Remember that the Congress and antitrust laws have been bird shooting at the NFL for a bit of time. Making a full effort to determine the outcome of the game is big problem. They end up as real as wrestling. Especially now that gambling is becoming more legal, the ramifications could be huge.

especially with sports betting being legal
Reply/Quote
(02-02-2022, 05:02 PM)XenoMorph Wrote: i think the biggest thing here would be the PAID for Tanking....  Paying extra outside of contracts to hurt the game...   (similar to bounty Gate)

Yeah for sure. He also better have actual proof of it as well I would think for his own legal sake. He isn't accusing a fellow millionaire here, but a billionaire who could possibly be forced to sell. So if there is no proof with an accusation of this magnitude, Flores himself could be getting sued by someone with infinite legal resources.
“Don't give up. Don't ever give up.” - Jimmy V

Reply/Quote
(02-03-2022, 01:14 PM)Millhouse Wrote: Yeah for sure. He also better have actual proof of it as well I would think for his own legal sake. He isn't accusing a fellow millionaire here, but a billionaire who could possibly be forced to sell. So if there is no proof with an accusation of this magnitude, Flores himself could be getting sued by someone with infinite legal resources.

Looks like by Stephen Ross's comments thats exactly what will be happening.
Reply/Quote
(02-03-2022, 01:25 PM)XenoMorph Wrote: Looks like by Stephen Ross's comments thats exactly what will be happening.

NFL says they will now investigate. Can of worms striking. Remember that Gruden lost his job on a investigation of Washington. Ross may have money, but he doesn’t have NFL/ TV network money. Then the government has our money, so they never go broke. They have a history of investigating sports. Rock solid proof it occurred? Doubt it is out there, but the perception is horrible. Goodell been on the “integrity of the league” soapbox for awhile.
Like a teenage girl driving a Ferrari. 
Reply/Quote
(02-03-2022, 04:18 PM)Destro Wrote: NFL says they will now investigate. Can of worms striking. Remember that Gruden lost his job on a investigation of Washington. Ross may have money, but he doesn’t have NFL/ TV network money. Then the government has our money, so they never go broke. They have a history of investigating sports. Rock solid proof it occurred? Doubt it is out there, but the perception is horrible. Goodell been on the “integrity of the league” soapbox for awhile.

They have to investigate such a claim.   anyone that has proof they got paid would be convicting themselves of a crime also.
Reply/Quote
(02-02-2022, 06:17 PM)J24 Wrote: 1.) He was hired and fired by a black guy.

2.) The Rooney rule has always been BS from the get go. Its only purpose was to make NFL look like it was doing something for black coaches. The Token interview has always been a problem associated with the Rooney rule since its inception.

3.) I'm confused why an Owner would want to tank that bad. Not saying tanking doesn't happen but to pay a coach 100,000 a game seems a bit obtuse on the owners part. It's not like Burrow was considered an all time prospect either. Also if true the Owner would be banned for life

I don't know about that. I heard a lot during that 2020 off season that he was the best QB prospect since Andrew Luck.

Which turned out to be pretty accurate.
Reply/Quote
All I want from this case is the unvarnished truth even if it’s ugly or uncomfortable.
Reply/Quote
(02-04-2022, 11:50 AM)Crazyjdawg Wrote: I don't know about that. I heard a lot during that 2020 off season that he was the best QB prospect since Andrew Luck.

Which turned out to be pretty accurate.

He was a considered a  third Rd pick before the 2019 season started. Hell the reason why the Dolphins were tanking was to get Tua. The media called it Tanking for Tua!

Burrow didn't really get that much hype until November after they defeated Alabama!
https://twitter.com/JAKEAKAJ24
J24

Jessie Bates left the Bengals and that makes me sad!
Reply/Quote
(02-04-2022, 01:20 PM)J24 Wrote: He was a considered a  third Rd pick before the 2019 season started. Hell the reason why the Dolphins were tanking was to get Tua. The media called it Tanking for Tua!

Burrow didn't really get that much hype until November after they defeated Alabama!

Yea, but November is when the Dolphins started winning to knock themselves out of the #1 pick. Miami was 0-7 entering November, then beat the Jets and Colts in back to back weeks that bookended that Alabama win (November 3rd and 10th for the Dolphins, November 9th for Burrow vs Alabama).

They won 3 more games in their last 6 games to lose the #1 pick to us. By the time our game rolled around in December, Burrow was the consensus #1 pick and I assume the whole "greatest prospect since Luck" thing started around mid-November when the Dolphins could have still tanked for him.
Reply/Quote
(02-04-2022, 01:11 PM)Fan_in_Kettering Wrote: All I want from this case is the unvarnished truth even if it’s ugly or uncomfortable.

has to go thru arbitration apparently per HC contract
Reply/Quote
I have to be honest with over 70% of the players being black I would prefer a black HC a guy who listens or listened to the same kind of music, grew up in the same kind of world, a guy who can relate to life as a black man. And I do think the black players feel more comfortable around a guy who gets it and has been where they came from.

Why we have only one black HC is surprising and really makes no sense, if I owned an NFL team, I'd be looking for a black HC simply makes sense.
Reply/Quote