Thread Rating:
  • 2 Vote(s) - 3 Average
Florida cracks down on left lane squatters
Good, good for them. More States should make blocking the left lane a ticket able offense.

https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/us/florida-passes-bill-to-ban-left-lane-driving-with-few-exceptions/ar-BB1iLmNY?ocid=msedgntp&pc=U531&cvid=5ec3341c4ace46129daef149e711e2e3&ei=127

Quote:The state of Florida is set to crack down on life in the fast lane.

The Florida legislature has passed a bill that would ban motorists from cruising in the left lane of highways, sending it to Gov. Ron DeSantis for his signature. The bill passed unanimously in the state Senate 37-0.

"If someone in the left lane is going slower, and you pass them (on the right), you are creating an infraction, and you can get ticketed," bill sponsor state Sen. Keith Perry ® said Thursday, according to The News Service of Florida.

Under HB 317, drivers on a road, street or highway "with two or more lanes" where the speed limit is "at least 65 miles per hour … may not operate a motor vehicle in the furthermost left-hand lane, except when overtaking and passing another vehicle; when preparing to exit … or when otherwise directed by an official traffic control device."

The legislation was sponsored by Republican state Reps. Jenna Persons-Mulicka and Melony Bell in the House and Perry in the Senate.

FLORIDA PAIR CHARGED WITH MURDER AFTER SEX-FOR-HIRE CAR THEFT PLOT WENT AWRY: DEPUTIES

Anyone found to be in violation of the law would face fines for a moving violation, with fines up to $158, according to the bill text.

There is an exception for authorized emergency vehicles and vehicles "engaged in highway maintenance or construction operations."

FLORIDA ELEMENTARY SCHOOL CONFIRMS 6TH CASE OF MEASLES AMID OUTBREAK

Perry said the measure is intended to improve highway safety. "Last year we had 247 instances where people were either incapacitated or deaths that happened from improper passing on the right-hand side on someone’s blindside," he told Action News Jax last week.

Should DeSantis sign the bill, Florida would join eight other states where it is currently illegal to drive in the left lane except for turning left or passing, according to AutoInsurance.org. States with those restrictions include Illinois, Kansas, Kentucky, Louisiana, Maine, Massachusetts, New Jersey, and West Virginia.

"Driving is a pretty uniform practice across the United States, so most of us don't think twice before crossing new state lines. However, many states have their own traffic laws that pose legal penalties and physical dangers if not obeyed," said Jeffrey Johnson, an insurance lawyer.

For that reason, 27 states require drivers to stay right if they are moving slower than the cars surrounding them.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]

Volson is meh, but I like him, and he has far exceeded my expectations

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
Ah ah ! This is a worldwide problem.

And again I say unto you, It is easier for a camel to go through the eye of a needle, than for a rich man to enter into the kingdom of God.

Reply/Quote
It's a shame that whatever baboon designed the highways here in Connecticut decided to put so many god damn left exits off of our highways. Probably a factor in why passing on the right on a highway isn't illegal here, but I still despise making more lane changes than necessary.
Reply/Quote
This is great. The issue becomes will they enforce it, in reading the new law it appears it makes it illegal also to pass on the right of people holding up traffic in the left lane. Hope I am wrong.
Free Agency ain't over until it is over. 

First 6 years BB - 41 wins and 54 losses with 1-1 playoff record with 2 teams Browns and Pats
Reply/Quote
Well, it's Florida, so I assume crack analysis will demonstrate this law is purely anti-science and racist.
--------------------------------------------------------

Reply/Quote
I travel I-81 on a regular basis and I get so pissed at people. I am constantly yelling, to myself, really, that if you can't go at least the speed limit you need to get out of the left lane. We also have a stretch with lots of hills and truckers who don't know this will try to pass other truckers then get stuck on the hill and hold up traffic.

Not that I get triggered by stuff like this or anything. I can't wait for the widening of the interstate. In the meantime, I will stick to back roads.
"A great democracy has got to be progressive, or it will soon cease to be either great or a democracy..." - TR

"The test of our progress is not whether we add more to the abundance of those who have much; it is whether we provide enough for those who have too little." - FDR
Reply/Quote
my late great cousin John Nestor became a verb over left lane squatting

Nestoring:   “an absolute adherence to the rules, regardless of the larger consequences.”

https://www.washingtonpost.com/archive/opinions/1999/02/28/nestoring-revisited/798322d2-ee85-48ac-ad5b-3e6fca6dd145/

https://ghostsofdc.org/2019/04/23/what-is-nestoring/

Quote:IN THE POST'S news clipping files -- what they used to call "the morgue" in pre-computer days -- is a tidy little packet of stories about a local man named John O. Nestor. Although he had a distinguished career as a pediatrician and medical officer with the Food and Drug Administration, he is described on the file simply as "Left Lane Bandit," an appellation that stems from a letter he wrote The Post in 1984, which read as follows:

"On divided highways I drive in the left lane with my cruise control set at the speed limit of 55 miles per hour because it is usually the smoothest lane. I avoid slower traffic coming in and out from the right and I avoid resetting the cruise control with every lane change. Why should I inconvenience myself for someone who wants to speed?"

From the letters that followed in response, you might have thought the doctor was an ax murderer. His driving practices were described as "illegal," "dangerous," "arrogant" and "putative vigilantism." The man's name became a verb ("Nestoring") and the correspondence that he began nearly 15 years ago has continued to be a source of accusation and recrimination. It flares up every few years and is currently burning brightly, as you may have noticed if you follow our letters pages, which have recently been enlivened by several submissions from people who apparently would also like to have their names become verbs. The argument is as circular as the Beltway. Nestorer: I am entitled to the left lane, for which I pay taxes. Anti-Nestorer: It is illegal for slow traffic to drive in the left lane. Nestorer: It is illegal to drive at over 55 mph, which is the speed I am traveling.

Fueled by the pursuit of greatness.

Reply/Quote
Finally something that Republicans, Democrats, Independents, Libertarians, Commies, Nazi's, Jews, Arabs, Russians, Ukrainians, Chinese, North Koreans, South Koreans, and Dogs and Cats can all agree on.

If someone made this the center piece of their Presidential campaign, they'd win in a landslide.
Reply/Quote
I hope there's a special place in hell for people that putz along in the left lane, and then speed up when you try to pass them.

And their close cousin the "I don't use cruise control and intermittently speed up until I pass you before slowing down again".
--------------------------------------------------------

Reply/Quote
(02-23-2024, 05:42 PM)JustWinBaby Wrote: I hope there's a special place in hell for people that putz along in the left lane, and then speed up when you try to pass them.

And their close cousin the "I don't use cruise control and intermittently speed up until I pass you before slowing down again".

Every time I have to go around one of those jackasses, I expect to see Nellie Olson glaring unapprovingly at me.

Volson is meh, but I like him, and he has far exceeded my expectations

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
(02-23-2024, 05:42 PM)JustWinBaby Wrote: I hope there's a special place in hell for people that putz along in the left lane, and then speed up when you try to pass them.

I was just complaining about this to my wife the other day. "Go slow or go fast, just pick one!"
"A great democracy has got to be progressive, or it will soon cease to be either great or a democracy..." - TR

"The test of our progress is not whether we add more to the abundance of those who have much; it is whether we provide enough for those who have too little." - FDR
Reply/Quote
(02-23-2024, 06:11 PM)SunsetBengal Wrote: Every time I have to go around one of those jackasses, I expect to see Nellie Olson glaring unapprovingly at me.

I'm 87% sure that is Elton John's drummer.
Reply/Quote
(02-23-2024, 06:25 PM)Belsnickel Wrote: I was just complaining about this to my wife the other day. "Go slow or go fast, just pick one!"

The automakers should stop equipping automobiles with cruise control, because 90% of drivers don't use it, or know how to use it.
Reply/Quote
I’ve personally witnessed someone entering the highway by way of the on ramp on the right. Quickly changing lanes multiple times in order to get in the left lane. And then settling in at about 5mph under the speed limit with a line of cars behind him and nothing but open road in front of him.

I’ve probably flicked off 3-5 people on the road in my life. This dude was one. Probably the worst road rage I’ve ever had… I would have really liked to meet that guy in the side of the highway.
Reply/Quote