Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 1 Average
Florida has a measles outbreak.
And it's not only getting worse, but it's about to get even more worse because they put incompetent people in charge.

https://arstechnica.com/science/2024/02/unvaccinated-florida-kids-exposed-to-measles-can-skip-quarantine-officials-say/

Quote:Unvaccinated Florida kids exposed to measles can skip quarantine, officials say
On Tuesday, nearly 20 percent of the school's 1,067 students were reportedly absent.

BETH MOLE - 2/21/2024, 6:41 PM

[Image: GettyImages-1235442032-800x545.jpg]
Enlarge / Florida Surgeon General Dr. Joseph Ladapo speaks during a press conference at Neo City Academy in Kissimmee, Florida.

Paul Hennessy/SOPA Images/LightRocket via Getty Images
A sixth student at Florida's Manatee Bay Elementary School outside of Fort Lauderdale has a confirmed case of measles, health officials announced late Tuesday. However, health officials are not telling unvaccinated students who were potentially exposed to quarantine.

[/url]FURTHER READING
Measles erupts in Florida school where 11% of kids are unvaccinated

[url=https://arstechnica.com/science/2024/02/measles-erupts-in-florida-school-where-11-of-kids-are-unvaccinated/]The school has a low vaccination rate, suggesting that the extremely contagious virus could spark a yet larger outbreak. But in a letter sent to parents late Tuesday, Florida Surgeon General Joseph Ladapo—known for spreading anti-vaccine rhetoric and vaccine misinformation—indicated that unvaccinated students can skip the normally recommended quarantine period.

The letter, signed by Ladapo, noted that people with measles can be contagious from four days before the rash develops through four days after the rash appears. And while symptoms often develop between eight to 14 days after exposure, the disease can take 21 days to appear. As such, the normal quarantine period for exposed and unvaccinated people, who are highly susceptible to measles, is 21 days.

"Because of the high likelihood of infection, it is normally recommended that children stay home until the end of the infectious period, which is currently March 7, 2024," Ladapo's letter states, adding that the date could change as the situation develops. "However, due to the high immunity rate in the community, as well as the burden on families and educational costs of healthy children missing school, [the health department] is deferring to parents or guardians to make decisions about school attendance."
Advertisement

Local media outlets reported that, on Tuesday, more than 200 of the school's 1,067 students were absent.

The measles cluster began Friday when a third grader, who had not recently traveled, was diagnosed with the vaccine-preventable illness. Over the weekend, three additional cases were identified, leading the local health department to release a health advisory. Two additional cases were identified this week. It's unclear if all six children are unvaccinated.

According to a county vaccine study, only 89.31 percent of the school's students were vaccinated in the 2023/2024 school year, suggesting that around 114 students are susceptible due to their vaccination status.

The measles virus spreads easily through respiratory transmission and can linger in air space for up to two hours after an infected person has been in an area. Among people susceptible to the virus—those who are unvaccinated or have compromised immune systems—up to 90 percent will become infected upon exposure. People who are fully vaccinated, meanwhile, are considered protected. Two doses of the Measles, Mumps, and Rubella (MMR) vaccine are 97 percent effective at preventing the disease.

Measles symptoms include high fever, runny nose, red and watery eyes, and a cough, as well as a telltale rash that develops after initial symptoms. About 1 in 5 unvaccinated people with measles are hospitalized, according to the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, while 1 in 20 infected children develop pneumonia and up to 3 in 1,000 children die of the infection.
[Image: giphy.gif]
Warning: Reading signatures may hurt your feelings.
Reply/Quote
[Image: CP8HlClUwAAt3Pr.png]
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(02-22-2024, 03:06 PM)GMDino Wrote: And it's not only getting worse, but it's about to get even more worse because they put incompetent people in charge.

https://arstechnica.com/science/2024/02/unvaccinated-florida-kids-exposed-to-measles-can-skip-quarantine-officials-say/

It would be really interesting to know why these kids were not vaccinated.

Reply/Quote
(02-22-2024, 06:37 PM)Sociopathicsteelerfan Wrote: It would be really interesting to know why these kids were not vaccinated.

I would guess the demonization of vaccines in general, which has resulted in more people passing on routine vaccinations.

Facebook mom medical advice?
Reply/Quote
(02-22-2024, 06:37 PM)Sociopathicsteelerfan Wrote: It would be really interesting to know why these kids were not vaccinated.

https://www.sun-sentinel.com/2024/02/20/measles-continues-spread-in-broward-county-with-sixth-case-heres-how-to-protect-yourself-from-the-highly-contagious-virus/

Quote:It’s unclear whether all six children with measles were unvaccinated for the disease that was once thought to be eradicated in the United States. The first reported case last Thursday was a third-grade student at the elementary school. About 11% of the Manatee Bay students — roughly 117 students —  are unvaccinated, using a medical or religious exemption from the mandatory vaccine requirements.
Reply/Quote

MIS-Information superhighways of social media.
Reply/Quote
(02-22-2024, 09:25 PM)NATI BENGALS Wrote: I would guess the demonization of vaccines in general, which has resulted in more people passing on routine vaccinations.

Facebook mom medical advice?

(02-22-2024, 09:27 PM)GMDino Wrote: https://www.sun-sentinel.com/2024/02/20/measles-continues-spread-in-broward-county-with-sixth-case-heres-how-to-protect-yourself-from-the-highly-contagious-virus/

It’s unclear whether all six children with measles were unvaccinated for the disease that was once thought to be eradicated in the United States. The first reported case last Thursday was a third-grade student at the elementary school. About 11% of the Manatee Bay students — roughly 117 students —  are unvaccinated, using a medical or religious exemption from the mandatory vaccine requirements.

Thank you very much.  So if we're looking at 11% we're well within the herd immunity zone, which is in the 70-90% range, depending on the disease. If even 3-4% of those unvaccinated are for medical reasons, i.e. not crazy Facebook mom reasons, then you're very comfortably within the herd immunity range.  Another interesting question would be how a disease previously eradicated in the US managed to creep its way back in.

I ask these questions because there's very likely more, and better, reasons for this happening than GOP politician is stupid.

Reply/Quote
(02-22-2024, 09:47 PM)Sociopathicsteelerfan Wrote: Thank you very much.  So if we're looking at 11% we're well within the herd immunity zone, which is in the 70-90% range, depending on the disease. If even 3-4% of those unvaccinated are for medical reasons, i.e. not crazy Facebook mom reasons, then you're very comfortably within the herd immunity range.  Another interesting question would be how a disease previously eradicated in the US managed to creep its way back in.

I ask these questions because there's very likely more, and better, reasons for this happening than GOP politician is stupid.

I'll blame the laziness and stupidity of people for anything until I see otherwise. 
Reply/Quote
(02-22-2024, 09:47 PM)Sociopathicsteelerfan Wrote: Thank you very much.  So if we're looking at 11% we're well within the herd immunity zone, which is in the 70-90% range, depending on the disease. If even 3-4% of those unvaccinated are for medical reasons, i.e. not crazy Facebook mom reasons, then you're very comfortably within the herd immunity range.  Another interesting question would be how a disease previously eradicated in the US managed to creep its way back in.

Same link:

Quote:Measles is highly contagious, spread through the air when an infected person coughs or sneezes. If one person has it, about 90% of people around them will also become infected if they are not protected by the vaccine or masks, according to the U.S. Centers for Disease Control and Prevention.

The disease can live on a surface or in an airspace for up to two hours where the infected person coughed or sneezed. If other people breathe the contaminated air or touch the infected surface, then touch their eyes, noses, or mouths, they can become infected. If you are unvaccinated for measles, your risk is much higher.

“Certainly if you’re in a typical-sized classroom with a patient that’s infected, who’s coughing or sneezing, then you’re at risk,”  said Dr. Ronald Ford,  chief medical officer at Joe DiMaggio Children’s Hospital in Hollywood.

The gop appointee decided to tell parents they didn't need to wait the usual 21 days.  Same appointee who has been anti-vaccine to the point of lying about them.
Reply/Quote
Measles was never eradicated worldwide. It was considered eliminated in the US in 2000 with no continuous transmission over a 12-month period. However, it was right about this same time when the now discredited "study" came out linking the MMR vaccine to autism. Vaccine rates which had been at about 95-97% of first graders is now 91-93%. A small change but certainly enough that pockets of disease transmission can take place. The Amish and Hasidic Jewish populations both have had major outbreaks in recent years due to vaccine reluctance

As Dino pointed out, measles is considered one of the most virulent viruses in the world. It spreads very easily and quickly among vulnerable populations. Because of its easy transmission and long life, herd immunity for measles requires about a 96% vaccination rate.

Where the first child got it from is still anyone's guess. The CDC and health departments usually investigate these things. The thing is measles is so virulent that the child could have been walking down the street when an infected person coughed when passing him. The breakout in the Orthodox Jewish population several years ago was started by an Israeli who was traveling from community to community doing fundraisers for a charity. He thought he had the flu

Fueled by the pursuit of greatness.

Reply/Quote
(02-23-2024, 12:46 AM)pally Wrote: The Amish and Hasidic Jewish populations both have had major outbreaks in recent years due to vaccine reluctance

If god wanted me to be unvaccinated he would have made me Amish.
Reply/Quote
I got the measles vaccine as a kid. Never got it. Got chicken pox though. Seemed every kid got chicken pox. That's why we need the shingles shot.
Who Dey!  Tiger
Reply/Quote
(02-23-2024, 12:46 AM)pally Wrote: Measles was never eradicated worldwide.  It was considered eliminated in the US in 2000 with no continuous transmission over a 12-month period.  However, it was right about this same time when the now discredited "study" came out linking the MMR vaccine to autism. Vaccine rates which had been at about 95-97% of first graders is now 91-93%.  A small change but certainly enough that pockets of disease transmission can take place.  The Amish and Hasidic Jewish populations both have had major outbreaks in recent years due to vaccine reluctance

You mean religious objections.  

Quote:As Dino pointed out, measles is considered one of the most virulent viruses in the world.  It spreads very easily and quickly among vulnerable populations.  Because of its easy transmission and long life, herd immunity for measles requires about a 96% vaccination rate.  

Where the first child got it from is still anyone's guess.  The CDC and health departments usually investigate these things.  The thing is measles is so virulent that the child could have been walking down the street when an infected person coughed when passing him.  The breakout in the Orthodox Jewish population several years ago was started by an Israeli who was traveling from community to community doing fundraisers for a charity. He thought he had the flu

Thank you for that information.  Resistance to vaccines that have been in use for ages, and thoroughly tested, makes very little sense to me.  Especially when the guy who authored the "study" that linked vaccines to autism flat out admitted he was lying.  It probably also stems from a distrust of the government, which I honestly can't blame anyone for having.

Reply/Quote
(02-23-2024, 02:20 PM)Sociopathicsteelerfan Wrote: You mean religious objections.  

Thank you for that information.  Resistance to vaccines that have been in use for ages, and thoroughly tested, makes very little sense to me.  Especially when the guy who authored the "study" that linked vaccines to autism flat out admitted he was lying.  It probably also stems from a distrust of the government, which I honestly can't blame anyone for having.

One of the leading anti-vaxers in the USA is Robert Kennedy Jr..  The organization he led, The Children's Health Defense is a leading source of misinformation on the MMR

Fueled by the pursuit of greatness.

Reply/Quote
(02-23-2024, 02:20 PM)Sociopathicsteelerfan Wrote: It probably also stems from a distrust of the government, which I honestly can't blame anyone for having.

Agreed, but it's odd that distrust of the government led to a lot of people distrusting science because it became partisan which led to people rushing to overly trust the government.  I guess this goes back to the Reagan strategy of being "the government" but convincing people you are there to save them from "the government."

You'll always have your hippy dippy healing crystal liberal types, but I'd wager a lot of people who don't trust vaccines now will cite a jumbled mix of not trusting the government and believing what people who are part of or speak "for the government" say.

(02-23-2024, 02:50 PM)pally Wrote: One of the leading anti-vaxers in the USA is Robert Kennedy Jr..  The organization he led, The Children's Health Defense is a leading source of misinformation on the MMR

There you go.  I don't trust vaccines because I don't trust the government and the deep state, and one of the honest to god Kennedy's told me.
Reply/Quote
And the spread continues.

This moron surgeon general in Florida is a problem.

https://www.usatoday.com/story/news/health/2024/02/25/florida-measles-outbreak-surgeon-general-cdc/72729310007/

What a disaster of medical leadership.
Reply/Quote
We forgot because of COVID, but people being anti-vax was a bipartisan effort. Not just a Florida issue.

New York, Michigan, and Washington State
https://www.nytimes.com/interactive/2019/health/measles-outbreak.html

The first 9 months of 2019 saw 1,249 cases of Measles in the US.
https://www.cdc.gov/mmwr/volumes/68/wr/mm6840e2.htm

Also not really even a US issue...
https://www.cbsnews.com/news/measles-outbreaks-cdc-who-report-2022/
68% increase in countries having outbreaks from 2021 to 2022, 5% less of the world population vaccinated for measles from 2019 to 2023.

[Image: jamarr-chase.gif]
Reply/Quote