Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Florio making some familiar points
Marvin is well respected around the league this might come as surprise to many  because everyone on the message board thinks he is the worst coach ever. Also it might make people uncomfortable but who is going to want to coach here knowing what Mikes reputation is in the NFL? Marvin might be the best coach possible for the Bengals knowing that the best coaching candidates around the league probably won't want to come here.
With that being said this organization needs to a major shakeup and a new direction hopefully Mike will allow that to happen and help the Bengal move forward and not backwards.
https://twitter.com/JAKEAKAJ24
J24

Jessie Bates left the Bengals and that makes me sad!
Reply/Quote
Mike Florio is a Steelers toad. Let's just put that out there for starters. He doesn't want the Bengals to win -- but not everyone named Florio is a Bengal hater.

Here's my thinking: The "other" Florio -- Mike -- wants the Bengals to be good enough to beat the Browns and the Ravens -- but not the Steelers -- thereby making Pittsburgh's job winning the AFC North and in the playoffs easier. Yes, Marvin Lewis is light years better than anyone Cincinnati has had at head coach since the days of Sam Wyche but unfortunately Marvin is no Sam Wyche. If I was the owner of a bad team like Jacksonville or San Francisco -- or Purdue -- I would be wining and dining Marvin as often as I could. He's the perfect coach to take a team from suck to success. However...

...Marvin Lewis is not a championship caliber head coach. There; I said it! Mike Brown and Katie Blackburn need to get their intelligent minds around this fact and internalize it because the Bengals aren't going to go anywhere in the post-season while Marvin is on the sideline. I take no pleasure in writing that because I truly like Marvin. It's time to move on here in Bengaldom; the Front Office whiffed badly on not retaining Mike Zimmer and if Tom Coughlin wanted a second chance I think the Front Office needs to entertain this possibility.

I'll end with this thought: Promoting from within the organization will not work. The Cincinnati coaching staff needs fresh blood with an outsider's perspective on the team who has no preconceived notions as to what this team is all about. Having a head coach who pees sulfuric acid and poops napalm would be a nice bonus too!
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(12-03-2016, 02:30 PM)Fan_in_Kettering Wrote: Mike Florio is a Steelers toad.  Let's just put that out there for starters.  He doesn't want the Bengals to win -- but not everyone named Florio is a Bengal hater.

Here's my thinking:  The "other" Florio -- Mike -- wants the Bengals to be good enough to beat the Browns and the Ravens -- but not the Steelers -- thereby making Pittsburgh's job winning the AFC North and in the playoffs easier.  Yes, Marvin Lewis is light years better than anyone Cincinnati has had at head coach since the days of Sam Wyche but unfortunately Marvin is no Sam Wyche.  If I was the owner of a bad team like Jacksonville or San Francisco -- or Purdue -- I would be wining and dining Marvin as often as I could.  He's the perfect coach to take a team from suck to success. However...

...Marvin Lewis is not a championship caliber head coach.  There; I said it!  Mike Brown and Katie Blackburn need to get their intelligent minds around this fact and internalize it because the Bengals aren't going to go anywhere in the post-season while Marvin is on the sideline. I take no pleasure in writing that because I truly like Marvin.  It's time to move on here in Bengaldom; the 
Front Office whiffed badly on not retaining Mike Zimmer and if Tom Coughlin wanted a second chance I think the Front Office needs to entertain this possibility.
I'll end with this thought:  Promoting from within the organization will not work.  The Cincinnati coaching staff needs fresh blood with an outsider's perspective on the team who has no preconceived notions as to what this team is all about.  Having a head coach who pees sulfuric acid and poops napalm would be a nice bonus too!
You cant have it both ways, I get what you are saying though. I dont think anyone on this staff is worth promoting much less keeping but you know deep down inside thats what they will do. When they finally fire Marvin they will promote Paulie or Zamp and It will make losing Zim, Hue hell even Jay that much harder to swallow. The longer this team waits to can Marvin the harder it will be to get a decent outside coach. There is still alot of talent on this team, combine that with high picks and we may entice a good coach, BUT this has to happen now not after next season.
Reply/Quote
(12-03-2016, 01:12 PM)J24 Wrote: Marvin is well respected around the league this might come as surprise to many  because everyone on the message board thinks he is the worst coach ever. Also it might make people uncomfortable but who is going to want to coach here knowing what Mikes reputation is in the NFL? Marvin might be the best coach possible for the Bengals knowing that the best coaching candidates around the league probably won't want to come here.
With that being said this organization needs to a major shakeup and a new direction hopefully Mike will allow that to happen and help the Bengal move forward and not backwards.
Jeff Fisher is respected around the league as well and hasn't won diddly squat.

Another example of...  who gives a crap?

This team.needs to get over a 20 plus year drought of at least one playoff win.

Marvin has had plenty of time. Even by his respected peers that is more than enough for opportunity.

He would have been fired anywhere else if it weren't for the organization getting in their comfort zone.

There are other coaches that would happily come here to coach.

This one just acts like someone should fully bend over for them instead of wooing them like a normal team would.

Once someone in the family realizes that we might have a chance.
[Image: 51209558878_91a895e0bb_m.jpg]
Reply/Quote
(12-03-2016, 01:12 PM)J24 Wrote: Marvin is well respected around the league....

An agreeable, amiable, jovial, and kind loser isn't respected.  He's laughed at behind closed doors around the league.
Reply/Quote
(12-01-2016, 06:02 PM)Bengalholic Wrote: I came across an article from PFT today, written by Florio, that struck me as interesting because it makes a couple points in it that have been talked about and debated going back to the old board:

'And before Bengals fans begin to clamor for change just for the sake of change, consider how bad the team in the 12 years before Lewis arrived.'

'Brown has tolerated much worse for much longer, and there’s no guarantee that he’ll find someone else as good or better than Lewis.'

How many times have we seen some version of these since the end of the 2013 season? While I agree with the overall article that Marvin will most likely be back next year, I continue to have an issue with the logic in the two sentences I quoted.

The 'change for the sake of change' statement has lost it's shelf life at this point. After 14 years, going 0-7 in the postseason and struggling mightily this year...it's not as though making a change would be a knee jerk reaction or whimsical decision to appease the fans. It wouldn't be change for the sake of change, it would be change in hope of achieving a new end result. 

Then he makes the points (often mentioned on the boards) about how the next HC might not be as good...and how bad the Bengals were before Marvin, which sometimes invokes the 'it could always be worse' or 'I don't wanna go back to the 90's' arguments in favor of keeping Marvin. My point on this has always been that there are no guarantees either way. Yeah, the next HC could end up being a disaster...or he might be the missing ingredient that takes the team to another level of success. At some point, a change has to be made, even if there's some risk associated with it.

I thought a statement made by Marvin to Paul Dehner was interesting...

'Everybody understands the object of the game is to win games. That’s our responsibility to pull it out of the players. It’s our responsibility to pull it out of the players as much as we can. When it’s not there then we have to get a new player.'

I would say to that...if the HC is getting the desired results, then maybe we have to get a new HC.

Your bolded statement at the end reminded me of an old saying a boss of mine had. "Change the people or change the people." I didn't fully get it until I owned my own business years later. It's true. You give people a legitimate chance grow and change for the better to be what you need them to be.... or you change them out completely.

I'm not sure it's Marvin. I thought I was, but I'm not positive. I think a well healed OC and an infusion of talent at key spots and the Bengals are back in business.
Reply/Quote
(12-03-2016, 05:27 PM)Fan_in_Kettering Wrote: An agreeable, amiable, jovial, and kind loser isn't respected.  He's laughed at behind closed doors around the league.

He has made the playoffs 5 years in a row.  Over the last three years he had one of the best records in the league against teams with winning records.

Other coaches don't laugh a guys who consistently beat them.

Marvin is not laughed at behind any closed doors around the league.
Reply/Quote
(12-01-2016, 06:21 PM)Bengalholic Wrote: Yep, Marvin is 8-21 against the Steelers (counting PO's) and 2-13 at home.  Sick

what other organization would keep a coach with this record against main rival, plus similar poor record in prime time games, plus 0-7 in playoffs.

Truly inconceivable.
Reply/Quote
Here's a surprisingly related article, but it's about McCarthy being on the hot seat.
http://www.foxsports.com/nfl/story/mike-mccarthy-green-bay-packers-hot-seat-fired-101716

In this article, the author says a couple things that really stick out and were brought up in this thread regarding Marvin Lewis and the Bengals...

Quote:Sometimes a team, even a great one, needs a change of scenery.
Quote:Sometimes change for the sake of change is the way to go.

For the record, I would LOVE to have McCarthy as the HC for this team, especially if he also was calling plays. Even if he struggled the first year or two, I'd be energized for this team again. Unfortunately, I doubt the Packers move on from McCarthy and/or the Bengals move on from Lewis.
Zac Taylor 2019-2020: 6 total wins
Zac Taylor 2021-2022: Double-digit wins each season, plus 5 postseason wins
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

Reply/Quote
(12-05-2016, 05:55 PM)ochocincos Wrote: Here's a surprisingly related article, but it's about McCarthy being on the hot seat.
http://www.foxsports.com/nfl/story/mike-mccarthy-green-bay-packers-hot-seat-fired-101716

In this article, the author says a couple things that really stick out and were brought up in this thread regarding Marvin Lewis and the Bengals...

For the record, I would LOVE to have McCarthy as the HC for this team, especially if he also was calling plays. Even if he struggled the first year or two, I'd be energized for this team again. Unfortunately, I doubt the Packers move on from McCarthy and/or the Bengals move on from Lewis.

Maybe we can trade Marvin for McCarthy  :andy:
Reply/Quote
(12-02-2016, 01:36 PM)Wyche Wrote: Where is he holding them accountable?  Nugent is still here, and underperformers are still on the field.  Talk is cheap.

Bueller? Bueller? 
[Image: images?q=tbn:ANd9GcS2LMwnxebk2zwcBWk4W7X...I8vWk4x3_g]
Reply/Quote