Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Follow this model for rebuild: 49ers
(10-30-2019, 11:12 AM)packerbacker Wrote: The 2013 Bengals were a Super Bowl caliber team. That team could have won it all. I think too in 2005 also.

2005 had a TERRIBLE defense.

2013...we were 11-5. Beat San Diego in SD a few weeks before...then lost to them in Cincy in the playoffs 27-15. San Diego was 9-7. Not exactly a SB-caliber team.
Reply/Quote
(10-30-2019, 12:01 PM)THE PISTONS Wrote: 2005 had a TERRIBLE defense.

2013...we were 11-5. Beat San Diego in SD a few weeks before...then lost to them in Cincy in the playoffs 27-15. San Diego was 9-7. Not exactly a SB-caliber team.

I loved that 2005 team. Who knows how far they go if they get past Pittsburgh.
Reply/Quote
(10-30-2019, 11:12 AM)packerbacker Wrote: The 2013 Bengals were a Super Bowl caliber team. That team could have won it all. I think too in 2005 also.

2015, and you are right.  People tend to forget those teams.  Sadly, this team has taken such a poor direction in both personnel and coaching.  The Bengals were one of the best drafting teams just a few years ago.  They had outstanding coaches in Hue, Gruden, and Zimmer....but they got passed up with the newer, more innovative NFL and their recent draft selections have been so poor that the roster is paper thin on talent.  A few injuries and they are fielding someone's practice squad.  

I don't blame ZT for this at all.  I don't care who deserves the blame, but there should have been significant action at the trade deadline.  Instead, we are going to be treated with the same piece of crap we have seen the last three years.  They will try and spit-shine it with a new first round pick, but you simply can't polish a turd.  There needed to be a dramatic overhaul.  Instead, they NOW have accountability to the QB for missing a throw.  Not the offensive line.  Not the LBs and Safeties that can't tackle.  Not the CBs that can't cover (or tackle).  Not the defensive line that always gives up outside containment.  But the QB because of an overthrow.  
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(10-30-2019, 01:05 PM)SHRacerX Wrote: 2015, and you are right.  People tend to forget those teams.  Sadly, this team has taken such a poor direction in both personnel and coaching.  The Bengals were one of the best drafting teams just a few years ago.  They had outstanding coaches in Hue, Gruden, and Zimmer....but they got passed up with the newer, more innovative NFL and their recent draft selections have been so poor that the roster is paper thin on talent.  A few injuries and they are fielding someone's practice squad.  

I don't blame ZT for this at all.  I don't care who deserves the blame, but there should have been significant action at the trade deadline.  Instead, we are going to be treated with the same piece of crap we have seen the last three years.  They will try and spit-shine it with a new first round pick, but you simply can't polish a turd.  There needed to be a dramatic overhaul.  Instead, they NOW have accountability to the QB for missing a throw.  Not the offensive line.  Not the LBs and Safeties that can't tackle.  Not the CBs that can't cover (or tackle).  Not the defensive line that always gives up outside containment.  But the QB because of an overthrow.  

I think a hidden issue is they mis-evaluated the talent on the roster.

They legit wanted Hart back to start him. I read quotes from Taylor that says he wanted him.

They legit wanted Preston Brown back and thought he and Vigil could be in a 2 LB set and thrive. HUGE mistake.
Reply/Quote
this franchise is inept in all aspects -

1. Drafting
2. Free Agency
3. Community Relations
4. Fan Experience
5. Hiring and Firing

Im sure Im forgetting something
"We have been sentenced to life in the prison that is a Bengals fan and we are going to serve out our time"
Reply/Quote
(10-30-2019, 12:39 PM)packerbacker Wrote: I loved that 2005 team. Who knows how far they go if they get past Pittsburgh.

Their defense was bad that year. It's hard to win a SB with a bad defense.

And yes...they lost to Pittsburgh.
Reply/Quote
(10-30-2019, 03:58 PM)THE PISTONS Wrote: Their defense was bad that year. It's hard to win a SB with a bad defense.

And yes...they lost to Pittsburgh.

But at least they created turnovers.  This year I think maybe two interceptions in eight games?
“History teaches that grave threats to liberty often come in times of urgency, when constitutional rights seem too extravagant to endure.”-Thurgood Marshall

Reply/Quote
How good were the 1990 Bengals? Would you consider them the best team in football that year?
Reply/Quote
(10-30-2019, 04:27 PM)packerbacker Wrote: How good were the 1990 Bengals? Would you consider them the best team in football that year?

They did have a robust 8 point differential in points scored vs points yielded and a showy 9-7 record.
Reply/Quote
(10-30-2019, 12:39 PM)packerbacker Wrote: I loved that 2005 team. Who knows how far they go if they get past Pittsburgh.

Congrats on your Packers BTW.
Reply/Quote

But they didn't even win a playoff game so they were not in that caliber. Part of being a SB level team is elevating your game in each playoff game, no ML led team showed any indication it could do that. 
Fredtoast + Ignore = Forum bliss

Reply/Quote
(10-30-2019, 05:09 PM)I_C_DeadPeople Wrote: But they didn't even win a playoff game so they were not in that caliber. Part of being a SB level team is elevating your game in each playoff game, no ML led team showed any indication it could do that. 

If you can call a team that hasn't won a single playoff game in 28+ years a SB contender...then yeah we were 4 playoff wins away from a SB in both 2005 and 2013.

Not that I want to brag...but we're 4 playoff wins away from a SB this year too!  Rock On
Reply/Quote
(10-30-2019, 03:50 PM)corpjet Wrote: this franchise is inept in all aspects -

1.  Drafting
2.  Free Agency
3.  Community Relations
4.  Fan Experience
5.  Hiring and Firing

Im sure Im forgetting something

Cap Management
Coaching
Business Planning
Fredtoast + Ignore = Forum bliss

Reply/Quote
(10-30-2019, 05:11 PM)I_C_DeadPeople Wrote: Cap Management
Coaching
Business Planning

Their practice field is under a bridge next to the stadium.

The Steelers have an entire indoor and outdoor facility. We have a field under a bridge.
Reply/Quote
(10-30-2019, 05:09 PM)Nate (formerly eliminate08) Wrote: Congrats on your Packers BTW.

Hey Nate! Good seeing you.
Reply/Quote
I have to admit...I do like watching the Packers.
Reply/Quote
(10-30-2019, 05:14 PM)THE PISTONS Wrote: Their practice field is under a bridge next to the stadium.

The Steelers have an entire indoor and outdoor facility. We have a field under a bridge.

Is it close to the Reds ballpark?
Reply/Quote
(10-30-2019, 07:30 PM)THE PISTONS Wrote: I have to admit...I do like watching the Packers.

We're 7-1 but by no means am I excited just yet. We need to win the division, make the playoffs and get a first round bye. We also have to stay healthy. The Smith brothers have improved our defense but I don't think we're as good as the Pats, Saints or 49ers. We have the 2nd half of the season to play yet and we have choked a lot since 2010. We need to play hard and 60 minutes. We still have tough games on the road against the Chargers, 49ers, Vikings and Lions.
Reply/Quote
<script async src="https://platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>
Reply/Quote
(10-30-2019, 07:36 PM)packerbacker Wrote: We're 7-1 but by no means am I excited just yet. We need to win the division, make the playoffs and get a first round bye. We also have to stay healthy. The Smith brothers have improved our defense but I don't think we're as good as the Pats, Saints or 49ers. We have the 2nd half of the season to play yet and we have choked a lot since 2010. We need to play hard and 60 minutes. We still have tough games on the road against the Chargers, 49ers, Vikings and Lions.

The NFC is just really tough. I look forward to watching the playoffs.

I think a Pats vs 49ers Super Bowl is coming.

But the Packers or Saints could easily go. The Pats and 49ers just have such dominant defenses.
Reply/Quote