Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Food Revolution?
This could end up being a really big deal.

https://www.cnbc.com/2022/11/17/fda-says-lab-grown-meat-is-safe-for-human-consumption.html

“The world is experiencing a food revolution and the U.S. FDA is committed to supporting innovation in the food supply,” FDA Commissioner Robert Califf and Susan Mayne, director of the FDA’s Center for Food Safety and Applied Nutrition, said in a statement.

If you can make a chicken sandwich and chicken nuggets out of this stuff... Americans will eat it
Reply/Quote
(12-01-2022, 04:27 AM)NATI BENGALS Wrote: This could end up being a really big deal.

https://www.cnbc.com/2022/11/17/fda-says-lab-grown-meat-is-safe-for-human-consumption.html

“The world is experiencing a food revolution and the U.S. FDA is committed to supporting innovation in the food supply,” FDA Commissioner Robert Califf and Susan Mayne, director of the FDA’s Center for Food Safety and Applied Nutrition, said in a statement.

If you can make a chicken sandwich and chicken nuggets out of this stuff... Americans will eat it

Sure, so would I. If this ever reaches marketability, I will be more than happy to scratch meat out of my menu.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
We have been in "don't ask don't tell" territory regarding food, meat in particular, for most of my life. I doubt this will be the straw that breaks the camels back, so to speak.
Reply/Quote
Nowhere near making it competitively affordable yet. They've been talking about the cultivated meat revolution for like a decade now.

Not just enough to make it good in both taste and texture. I can go buy boneless skinless chicken breasts for $2.68/lb right now, or bone-in skin-on thighs for $1.28/lb and drumsticks for $0.98/lb.

Going to be tough for them to compete with that.

[Image: jamarr-chase.gif]
Reply/Quote
The genetically modified vegetables will kill you, but then eat this stuff? No thanks.
“History teaches that grave threats to liberty often come in times of urgency, when constitutional rights seem too extravagant to endure.”-Thurgood Marshall

Reply/Quote
(12-06-2022, 11:29 AM)michaelsean Wrote: The genetically modified vegetables will kill you, but then eat this stuff?  No thanks.

Everything will kill you. As far as protein. It could be a high quality source. Since it is living cells growing the biochemistry should work well for us compared to trying to manufacture macro-nutrients.

Chirality is an important concept for stereochemistry and biochemistry. Most substances relevant to biology are chiral, such as carbohydrates (sugars, starch, and cellulose), the amino acids that are the building blocks of proteins, and the nucleic acids. In living organisms, one typically finds only one of the two enantiomers of a chiral compound. For that reason, organisms that consume a chiral compound usually can metabolize only one of its enantiomers. For the same reason, the two enantiomers of a chiral pharmaceutical usually have vastly different potencies or effects

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chirality_(chemistry)

There are a lot of different ways we could go with this. Maybe a genetically engineered super nutrient rich strain. Or maybe people want to eat some shark, whale, polar bear, lion, bald eagle, or giraffe meat?
Reply/Quote
(12-06-2022, 11:29 AM)michaelsean Wrote: The genetically modified vegetables will kill you, but then eat this stuff?  No thanks.

The bad news is we're all gonna die. The good news is Not right now..  At this point in your life you have two options and they run together anyway.. Get old or die! If you don't get old, well...you're pretty much dead already and if you get old everything slows way down, everything starts to hurt and break down. You get kind of ugly it's a lot harder to get laid in most cases and THEN you die anyway..  What's a little modified food along the way?  There have been zero documented cases of anyone dying from genetically modified foods.. It makes a good headline, but the fact is we have billions of humans on this planet and less and less farmable land to feed us all. The other option is to just let billions die off from famine and disease. The bottom line? If you don't wanna eat then starve.. Nobody is going to lock you up for starving yourself.
In the immortal words of my old man, "Wait'll you get to be my age!"

Chicago sounds rough to the maker of verse, but the one comfort we have is Cincinnati sounds worse. ~Oliver Wendal Holmes Sr.

Reply/Quote