Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Take a look at number 10
Jessie Bates. With some mention of Hubbard.

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000000964133/article/top-10-defensive-rookies-chargers-derwin-james-jumps-off-film

Also, interesting commentary on the Colts LBer... looks like Hunt also had a good game against the Redskins. Not showing up on the stats but players can make an impact without having the stats to back their ability up.
Reply/Quote
I'm beginning to think the Bengals may have given up on Hunt a few years too soon, but then again he might just be getting lucky early on. 
For reasons I can't explain I used to kind of like Hunt and thought he would have been a late bloomer just because of his inexperience at the time. We'll never know now what he might have contributed to the Bengals defensive front now. 
I guess anyone can appear to be a bust. It takes a bit more to overcome that and become a force to be reckoned with on down the road .
In the immortal words of my old man, "Wait'll you get to be my age!"

Chicago sounds rough to the maker of verse, but the one comfort we have is Cincinnati sounds worse. ~Oliver Wendal Holmes Sr.

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(09-20-2018, 11:19 AM)grampahol Wrote: I'm beginning to think the Bengals may have given up on Hunt a few years too soon, but then again he might just be getting lucky early on. 
For reasons I can't explain I used to kind of like Hunt and thought he would have been a late bloomer just because of his inexperience at the time. We'll never know now what he might have contributed to the Bengals defensive front now. 
I guess anyone can appear to be a bust. It takes a bit more to overcome that and become a force to be reckoned with on down the road .

Merv also has a tendency to hang onto veterans too long and keep them in the starting lineup longer than they should.
[Image: giphy.gif]
Reply/Quote
(09-20-2018, 10:57 AM)YsCascadia Wrote: Jessie Bates.  With some mention of Hubbard.

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000000964133/article/top-10-defensive-rookies-chargers-derwin-james-jumps-off-film

Also, interesting commentary on the Colts LBer... looks like Hunt also had a good game against the Redskins.  Not showing up on the stats but players can make an impact without having the stats to back their ability up.

Good read. But wait, our fans already deemed Hunt garbage so his praise 2 weeks in a row must be a mistake.
Free Agency ain't over until it is over. 

First 6 years BB - 41 wins and 54 losses with 1-1 playoff record with 2 teams Browns and Pats
Reply/Quote
(09-20-2018, 10:57 AM)YsCascadia Wrote: Jessie Bates.  With some mention of Hubbard.

Also, interesting commentary on the Colts LBer... looks like Hunt also had a good game against the Redskins.  Not showing up on the stats but players can make an impact without having the stats to back their ability up.

Sam "Hubbard Bubba"  [Image: images?q=tbn:ANd9GcTETLVTXBhO3jvgLsMe7lW...nyrnTW0_UY]  is gonna put opponents in a very sticky position and get them chewed out by his awesomeness.
Reply/Quote
(09-20-2018, 11:23 AM)Luvnit2 Wrote: Good read. But wait, our fans already deemed Hunt garbage so his praise 2 weeks in a row must be a mistake.

Our coaches and FO agreed with our fans, seeing how they dumped him.

Side note: Margus is already 31 years old, so any fruit he bares now, won't last long.

Another side note: He's still sitting at 2 sacks, both on Hart, and it may be that way for awhile.
The training, nutrition, medicine, fitness, playbooks and rules evolve. The athlete does not.
Reply/Quote
If it helps to convince you that the win against Colts in Week 1 is more impressive, the Colts actually are not too bad on defense. That linebacker they grabbed is making a huge impact, and they just seem solid. Not impressive, but solid. And of course, with Luck at the helm, they can put up some points.

Oh, and btw - I think we should all be pretty happy the Browns didn't select Bradley Chubb when they had the chance. Myles and Chubb against our tackles? Oh god.
Reply/Quote
(09-20-2018, 11:19 AM)grampahol Wrote: I'm beginning to think the Bengals may have given up on Hunt a few years too soon, but then again he might just be getting lucky early on. 

Bengals spent a 2nd round pick on Hunt and he was a long term project. Got nothing out of him in 4 years and that's just plain bad drafting. They could have drafted a guy who produced for those 4 years instead.

Reply/Quote
(09-20-2018, 11:27 AM)Shake n Blake Wrote: Our coaches and FO agreed with our fans, seeing how they dumped him.

Side note: Margus is already 31 years old, so any fruit he bares now, won't last long.

Another side note: He's still sitting at 2 sacks, both on Hart, and it may be that way for awhile.

Yep, he's showing "flashes", just like he did here.

Volson is meh, but I like him, and he has far exceeded my expectations

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
(09-20-2018, 11:23 AM)Luvnit2 Wrote: Good read. But wait, our fans already deemed Hunt garbage so his praise 2 weeks in a row must be a mistake.

So, just who would you cut from our current DL, in order to accommodate Margus Hunt on the roster?

Volson is meh, but I like him, and he has far exceeded my expectations

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
(09-20-2018, 09:05 PM)BengalChris Wrote: Bengals spent a 2nd round pick on Hunt and he was a long term project. Got nothing out of him in 4 years and that's just plain bad drafting. They could have drafted a guy who produced for those 4 years instead.

This. Hunt is the type of guy you waste a 5th or higher draft pick on, not a 2nd. He's probably the least accomplished 31 year old NFL player in history. 
Reply/Quote

Oh come on luvnit the guy had about as much impact here as a feather in the wind. What's he got now 4.5 sacks in 6 or 7 years.

Superstar in the making huh ?
Reply/Quote
(09-20-2018, 10:34 PM)bengalfan74 Wrote: Oh come on luvnit the guy had about as much impact here as a feather in the wind. What's he got now 4.5 sacks in 6 or 7 years.

Superstar in the making huh ?

Agreed. Hunt had a good game against Hart where he got off the Line too quick for Hart who wasn't ready.

Bates and Hubbard should rise up this list BTW. Great picks it seems, always wanted Bates on our team and i still
think it was a steal getting Hubbard in the 3rd round who i had a 2nd round grade on.
Reply/Quote
(09-20-2018, 11:27 AM)Shake n Blake Wrote: Our coaches and FO agreed with our fans, seeing how they dumped him.

he was extremely football raw... we developed him into a decent player... But the new guys we drafted pushed him out the door as progress wasn't fast enough...
Reply/Quote
(09-21-2018, 01:40 PM)XenoMorph Wrote: he was extremely football raw... we developed him into a decent player... But the new guys we drafted pushed him out the door as progress wasn't fast enough...

26 years old and raw isn't a good combo for a 2nd round pick. 

Even if the light is finally coming on (I think game one was a fluke), he's 31 years old and already past his athletic prime. 

Don't forget that this is year two in Indy for him. In year one, he posted 29 tackles and 1 sack with plenty of playing time.
The training, nutrition, medicine, fitness, playbooks and rules evolve. The athlete does not.
Reply/Quote
(09-20-2018, 09:24 PM)SunsetBengal Wrote: So, just who would you cut from our current DL, in order to accommodate Margus Hunt on the roster?

Johnson
Reply/Quote