Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Football Life - Carson Palmer
Watching “A Football Life” on Carson on NFL Network. I’ve been mad at Carson since he left, but I have to say, the way it’s portrayed in this piece makes my blood boil about Mike Brown. We really had something and MB just pissed it away...
Reply/Quote
Haven't seen it yet, what was said? Go ahead, spoil me
Reply/Quote
(09-14-2018, 10:22 PM)KansasBengal Wrote: Watching “A Football Life” on Carson on NFL Network. I’ve been mad at Carson since he left, but I have to say, the way it’s portrayed in this piece makes my blood boil about Mike Brown. We really had something and MB just pissed it away...

Did it show him “going long...er?” That ad was the real beginning of his downfall. It was embarrassing.

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(09-14-2018, 10:51 PM)Pat5775 Wrote: Haven't seen it yet, what was said? Go ahead, spoil me

Basically that MB made him promises to invest in the team but wouldn’t. That they argued about getting a GM and things to modernize the franchise. Had cap space and wouldn’t spend it to fill holes. All the stuff we complain about here all the time. Seemed like his patience ran out and that’s why he “retired”
Reply/Quote
There was no doubt in my mind it was brown when it went down. Mike Brown is everything as advertised, why does this shock everyone...just look at his record as the owner for proof.

Personally, Palmer was the one who got me excited again with the Bengals. He brought so much back to the team and fans when he took over. It was so exciting back then. When he left I was disappointed because he was my favorite player but not upset at him personally.

I looked at it from his point of view that heres a player who spent his life to prepare for a championship only to have Mike Brown hold back the team because he has other agendas. This documentary proved my guess right....but being a lifetime Bengals fan its not hard to predict that.

Bad news for us and the players though...Brown is still calling the shots and will probably be doing so until his last dying breath. Lets just hope Katie isn't as stubborn and stupid as dad...
Reply/Quote
(09-14-2018, 11:12 PM)KansasBengal Wrote: Basically that MB made him promises to invest in the team but wouldn’t. That they argued about getting a GM and things to modernize the franchise. Had cap space and wouldn’t spend it to fill holes. All the stuff we complain about here all the time. Seemed like his patience ran out and that’s why he “retired”

Do you blame him? Imagine if you were Palmer dealing with Brown and his BS? Brown is doing the same thing to Lewis to this day. Smirk
Reply/Quote
Didn’t learn anything new, but it was well done (these always are). My biggest takeaways were how touching the part about Henry was, and that Sun Valley looks absolutely gorgeous.

Reply/Quote
Palmer went about it the wrong way, he thought he had power over Mike Brown and gave an ultimatum. It might have worked with other owners but not with Mike Brown.

Palmer and Lewis should have gone to Mike Brown and said "Hey Mr. Brown, can we talk to you?" and Brown would have said "Sure, what's up?"

That's when the both of them lay it out like this:

"Well, we have been trying really hard to make this work and some pieces do work, hell, we've made it to the playoffs but we need some more. Remember that little idea you had a couple years back about how to improve our Gaurd play? Well, I know the perfect player but he's a Free Agent this year...." and so on and so forth.

You make it feel like its Browns idea.

Palmer said "I want or I'm gone" and Brown said "Child Please".
Song of Solomon 2:15
Take us the foxes, the little foxes, that spoil the vines: for our vines have tender grapes.
Reply/Quote
(09-14-2018, 11:15 PM)GodFather Wrote: Do you blame him? Imagine if you were Palmer dealing with Brown and his BS? Brown is doing the same thing to Lewis to this day. Smirk

A lot to this post. More than most realize. Brown is a terrible owner, unlike his father. Plain horrible. Although he seems to be coming around, I’m not sure how much of the change he should get credit for?

Reply/Quote
I did like Palmer’s comment that Mike knew what he was doing trading him to the Raiders. “One dysfunctional organization for another” lol

Reply/Quote
(09-14-2018, 11:43 PM)HarleyDog Wrote: A lot to this post. More than most realize. Brown is a terrible owner, unlike his father. Plain horrible. Although he seems to be coming around, I’m not sure how much of the change he should get credit for?

All I think about is the conversation he had with owner Rooney of the Steelers and how its "too expensive" to have a championship football team....
Reply/Quote
This is exactly what a lot of us felt was the reason he left.  Seems he went to Mike Brown twice over this shit....but Ebenezer wouldn't budge.  I supported his stance then, and I still do. It wasn't Marvin, it wasn't Brat, it was Mike. He also mentioned they disrespected Kitna, and that angered him.

"Better send those refunds..."

Reply/Quote
If Palmer doesn't make those demands....things would most likely be exactly what they were then. People said he wasn't a leader here....well, according to this show, his TEAMMATES asked him to approach Brown about these changes. We also saw him berating the offense on the sidelines after some shitty play.

"Better send those refunds..."

Reply/Quote
Was hoping for more Chad.

Reply/Quote
Nepotism still sucks
Reply/Quote
Did he quit on the film team halfway through this?
Reply/Quote
I was glad to hear his side from his own mouth how it went down. As said before it sounds like he was being the voice saying to MB what we all wanted to say. I don’t think wording it different would have mattered as someone suggested earlier. MB is who he is and that isn’t going to change. I know there are many different opinions of Marvin but we all know he struggles with this as well. After watching this it made me personally feel better about Carson in a positive way.
Reply/Quote
He was a great Quarterback but once he hurt his knee it seemed like that he wasn't really any good again till his last few years in Arizona. I so wish he would have stayed healthy in that playoff game. That loss still hurts to this day and I'm not even a Bengals fan.
Reply/Quote
(09-14-2018, 11:12 PM)KansasBengal Wrote: Basically that MB made him promises to invest in the team but wouldn’t. That they argued about getting a GM and things to modernize the franchise. Had cap space and wouldn’t spend it to fill holes. All the stuff we complain about here all the time. Seemed like his patience ran out and that’s why he “retired”

Thank you. Pretty much confirms what we thought/knew. 

I'll never understand why so many Bengal fans hold a grudge for Carson. How can anyone not side with Carson over issues with Mike Brown? Issues we have with Mike. Carson clearly had as well... How can anyone side with the worst owner in sports history over a player who wanted necessary changes? (I think a lot of it has to do with Carsons anti-Ohio state comments from 2008 but some people won't admit it  Whatever ).
Reply/Quote
(09-15-2018, 07:39 AM)Pat5775 Wrote: Thank you. Pretty much confirms what we thought/knew. 

I'll never understand why so many Bengal fans hold a grudge for Carson. How can anyone not side with Carson over issues with Mike Brown? Issues we have with Mike. Carson clearly had as well... How can anyone side with the worst owner in sports history over a player who wanted necessary changes? (I think a lot of it has to do with Carsons anti-Ohio state comments from 2008 but some people won't admit it  Whatever ).

Carson never hid the fact that he was just in Cincinnati to work. He made no apparent effort to become part of the community. And when during his holdout or aftermath, he made no outreach to the fans, the fans wrote him off. How much of his story is revisionist history since he would rather be remembered as the hard working Cardinal QB than the guy who quit on his team.

Fueled by the pursuit of greatness.

Reply/Quote