Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Football Outsiders O-line rankings.
http://www.footballoutsiders.com/stats/ol

You can follow the link to read about their methodology. Here are the results for the bengals.

Pass protection....15th

Run blocking is more complex. They admit it is hard to separate the RB from the O-line, but here are the results

Power success rate (3rd or 4th down with 2 yards or less to go)...14th

Stuff percentage (zero or negative gain)....3rd best. This one surprised me. It seemed like our RBs were getting tackled at the LOS a lot, but in reality it happen less often to us than most other teams in the league.

Adjusted Line Yards...#1 in the league...Open field yards.....next to last (31st) in the league. So what the hell do these numbers mean? A team with a high ranking in Adjusted Line Yards but a low ranking in Open Field Yards is heavily dependent on its offensive line to make the running game work. A team with a low ranking in Adjusted Line Yards but a high ranking in Open Field Yards is heavily dependent on its running back breaking long runs to make the running game work.
Reply/Quote
That power success rate needs to come up, in order for this team to be winners in playoff games. The ability to gain a 3rd and 2, on the ground, is many times the difference between killing the clock, and allowing the opponent a chance at a game winning drive.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]

Volson is meh, but I like him, and he has far exceeded my expectations

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
I'm not too surprised about the stuff percentage. When watching other teams I was surprised how often this happened to some. I also wonder if the yardage lost on such plays is factored into the equation. I've seen us get stuffed but its always for -1 or -2 while some teams get stuffed for -5 or -6.
Reply/Quote
(04-02-2016, 11:38 AM)SunsetBengal Wrote: That power success rate needs to come up, in order for this team to be winners in playoff games. 

This.

I have always said that a team does not have to rush for a lot of yards to win in the NFL.  But a team has to be able to convert the crucial short yardage situations.  A team can have a very low ranked rushing game based on total yards, but as long as they can get the yards when they need them they have an effective running game.

The '81 Bengals were a passing team that ranked 17th of 28 teams in rushing yards.  But we had Pete Johnson who could get the tough yards when we needed them (except in the Super Bowl  Gaah)
Reply/Quote
(04-02-2016, 12:35 PM)fredtoast Wrote: This.

I have always said that a team does not have to rush for a lot of yards to win in the NFL.  But a team has to be able to convert the crucial short yardage situations.  A team can have a very low ranked rushing game based on total yards, but as long as they can get the yards when they need them they have an effective running game.

Can you post the 1-32 rankings of this stat? Im interested to see where certain teams like on the spectrum/
Reply/Quote
(04-02-2016, 12:37 PM)GreenCornBengal Wrote: Can you post the 1-32 rankings of this stat? Im interested to see where certain teams like on the spectrum/

Link is in OP.
Reply/Quote
(04-02-2016, 12:38 PM)fredtoast Wrote: Link is in OP.

derp.

Well after looking at it for a while, it looks like there isn't much difference between the run percentages of most teams in the league. Most teams are around 60-75% but it does look like most of the bad teams have a lower percentage. The biggest surprise to me was that Phili had the highest percentage with 84%. We definitely need to improve in that area. Tenessee had a percentage down in the 30s, yikes.
Reply/Quote
I think our line is missing that pile mover on the inside. Not necessarily at center, although an upgrade there is probably needed. I think we are missing that Bobbie Williams, 340lb road grader.
Reply/Quote
(04-02-2016, 11:22 AM)fredtoast Wrote: Stuff percentage (zero or negative gain)....3rd best.   This one surprised me.  It seemed like our RBs were getting tackled at the LOS a lot, but in reality it happen less often to us than most other teams in the league.

That's because Gio was among league leaders in yards after contact for about 2/3rd of the season I believe. Hill was getting tackled at the LOS a lot, and Gio was getting hit at the LOS a lot but moved forward for positive yards. Having a RB who's killing it in YAC will save that.

[Image: jamarr-chase.gif]
Reply/Quote