Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Footballoutsiders on Burkhead
(04-03-2017, 09:22 AM)WeezyBengal Wrote: We let guys like Burkhead leave but then keep guys like Pacman on the team. And people wonder why we havent won a playoff game in 26 years... 

What makes you think that Burkhead even wanted to come back here?  He was the 3rd back.  That wasn't going to change.

Keeping Pacman had no effect on keeping Burkhead.
Reply/Quote
(04-04-2017, 03:43 PM)Hammerstripes Wrote: What makes you think that Burkhead even wanted to come back here?  He was the 3rd back.  That wasn't going to change.

Keeping Pacman had no effect on keeping Burkhead.

I think part of his point is that maybe Burkhead should have been given more opportunities, especially considering how weak the running game was last year.
Reply/Quote
(04-04-2017, 03:47 PM)OrlandoBengal Wrote: I think part of his point is that maybe Burkhead should have been given more opportunities, especially considering how weak the running game was last year.

His career average coming into last season was 2.9 yards per carry.  He had done nothing to earn any more carries.
Reply/Quote
(04-04-2017, 04:13 PM)fredtoast Wrote: His career average coming into last season was 2.9 yards per carry.  He had done nothing to earn any more carries.

So let me get this straight.  You start a thread talking about how good Burkhead's numbers are according to Football Outsiders.  I simply point out that others are saying perhaps Burkhead should have been given more opportunity, which would go right along with your numbers and the logic from your post.  You then feel the need to say he had done nothing to earn more carries.

Does trying to remember which side of an argument you're going to take from moment to moment ever get tiring?
Reply/Quote
(04-04-2017, 06:26 PM)OrlandoBengal Wrote: So let me get this straight.  You start a thread talking about how good Burkhead's numbers are according to Football Outsiders.  I simply point out that others are saying perhaps Burkhead should have been given more opportunity, which would go right along with your numbers and the logic from your post.  You then feel the need to say he had done nothing to earn more carries.

Does trying to remember which side of an argument you're going to take from moment to moment ever get tiring?

I am not switching sides.  Both statements are true.

He did not show anything before last year that would indicate he deserved more chances.  

When he got his chance he looked good. 
Reply/Quote
(04-04-2017, 10:41 PM)fredtoast Wrote: I am not switching sides.  Both statements are true.

He did not show anything before last year that would indicate he deserved more chances.  

When he got his chance he looked good. 

So you're saying that the coaches judged Burkhead on the YPC he posted for a whopping 13 carries?

Rather than the 3 full seasons worth of practices, training camps and preseasons?
The training, nutrition, medicine, fitness, playbooks and rules evolve. The athlete does not.
Reply/Quote
2.9 YPC is still better than "2 Yard Jeremy". Ninja

"Better send those refunds..."

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(04-05-2017, 01:08 PM)Shake n Blake Wrote: So you're saying that the coaches judged Burkhead on the YPC he posted for a whopping 13 carries?

Rather than the 3 full seasons worth of practices, training camps and preseasons?

No.  I am saying that maybe he did not look very good in practices the last few years and improved this year.

Or maybe Burkhead does not get fired up and run hard in practice.

Personally I remember him getting carries in some preseason games.  He didn't look like anything special to me at the time.
Reply/Quote
Burkhead '16...74 carries...344 yds...one 100-yard game
B. Scott '09.....74 carries...321 yds...one 100-yard game

Hmm

just sayin........
Reply/Quote
There may of been a handful of guys on the ream that put as much effort into his play. I think that if you look at consistent effort(not taking plays off), he was number 1 on the whole team. Andy came close, my point is that the cat has desire. I would have resigned him. It's not like he was expensive.
Reply/Quote
(04-05-2017, 02:44 PM)fredtoast Wrote: No.  I am saying that maybe he did not look very good in practices the last few years and improved this year.

Or maybe Burkhead does not get fired up and run hard in practice.

Personally I remember him getting carries in some preseason games.  He didn't look like anything special to me at the time.

But you said...

"His career average coming into last season was 2.9 yards per carry.  He had done nothing to earn any more carries."

I couldn't care less about Burkhead and think people have him way overrated. That said, if I didn't know any better, I'd say you're talking up Burkhead to make it seem like RB talent - not o-line - is the the problem while also avoiding putting any blame on coaches for not spotting this supposed talent. 

Hmm
The training, nutrition, medicine, fitness, playbooks and rules evolve. The athlete does not.
Reply/Quote