Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
For 2024: We Need a New Identity on Defense
Early this morning I started a thread on a new look for the offense and the postings on that thread are excellent. Now let’s turn to the defense because the “bend but don’t break” identity is NOT working. Yes, Lou Anarumo and his players showed occasional flashes of brilliance here and there in 2023 but statistically they are at or near the bottom of the league in most defensive categories. This is not a recipe for success.

Losing Von Bell, Jessie Bates, Larry Ogunjobi, and — yes — Eli Apple too has proven devastating. The young guys like Dax Hill and Jordan Battle might be good someday. Don’t get me started on Nick Scott; you can time his 40 yard dash with a sundial. Also, I think Chidobe Awuzie’s best days are in the past.

To me it’s 25% players and 75% scheme on defense. The tackling is, on any scale, horrendous. I’ve seen Christmas presents wrapped up better than opposing ball carriers. No matter the players’ talent level they will constantly underachieve if they are in the wrong locations on the field. Too many receivers got on top of our secondary and the scheme seems to encourage this.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
It goes to the adage that the scheme should be styled to the players. So if you favor a particular scheme then get players who can execute it well. Otherwise make the scheme something the players can execute well.
Reply/Quote
The problem with bend but don’t break is you never give your offense good field position. When successful they are kicking a FG or punting between the 40s. Hell save your defense some wear and tear and commit PI until they get to your 40.
“History teaches that grave threats to liberty often come in times of urgency, when constitutional rights seem too extravagant to endure.”-Thurgood Marshall

Reply/Quote
Nice thread FIK. Drank a bunch of brewskies last night as you would presume. But I am back after us losing to the Chefs
and having to watch those sad sacks barely beat us 2 in a row with ref help. I will say this, the tackling and angles are the
most infuriating problems with the Defense. Dax played a much better game yesterday, but Jordan Battle was the guy who
was taking the bad angles that I saw yesterday.

Pratt continued to play bad, Logan was alright but not what he should be. We need better play from the DL, specifically DT
where the only good player seems to be BJ Hill right now. Chris Jones, Christian Wilkins, Madabuike in FA sound like good
solutions along with T'Vondre Sweat early in the Draft.

LET'S GET PHYSICAL!!!Mad
Reply/Quote