Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
For All You Guys Hating On Whit
(02-02-2019, 10:28 AM)SHRacerX Wrote: This...I think most of us love Whit and those that have met the man know he is a good guy. 

I will never forget the line:  "I have two contracts in my life:  One is with my wife, and one is to protect Andy Dalton".  I loved the guy.

As much as I love him, I can't help but have some venom for Ogbuehi and the assbag that wanted him so badly (Alexander).  It set us back a long ways.  That being said, I am starting to find some hope in the new regime and if the Bengals were just good enough to make the playoffs and not advance, we know nothing would have changed.  They sucked, the fans stayed away, and here we are with some exciting changes.  

I hope he wins a ring. 

Buddy... I'll never forget sitting on my couch in my now departed man cave watching that draft. It rolls around to the Bengals' pick, and ol Roger strolls up and blurts out some name I'd never heard of... Then the commentators start blathering on about how he's injured. He was already suspect to me. Then he got in a couple of games toward the end of the season... Didn't look terrible. 2016 rolls around, and I hear Willie Anderson talking about all if these weaknesses he needs to work on... Opening day rolls around and the Jets just pummel the guy (to be fair they pummeled the entire line)... What a bust.

People were seriously saying he was a top ten pick if he wasn't injured...
I'm gonna break every record they've got. I'm tellin' you right now. I don't know how I'm gonna do it, but it's goin' to get done.

- Ja'Marr Chase 
  April 2021
Reply/Quote
(02-02-2019, 12:32 PM)jason Wrote: Buddy... I'll never forget sitting on my couch in my now departed man cave watching that draft. It rolls around to the Bengals' pick, and ol Roger strolls up and blurts out some name I'd never heard of... Then the commentators start blathering on about how he's injured. He was already suspect to me. Then he got in a couple of games toward the end of the season... Didn't look terrible. 2016 rolls around, and I hear Willie Anderson talking about all if these weaknesses he needs to work on... Opening day rolls around and the Jets just pummel the guy (to be fair they pummeled the entire line)... What a bust.

I think the pick itself was a bit suspect BUT the idea behind it was fantastic. Two tackles in the first two rounds with the expectation of both your bookends leaving. Both decent prospects, save money and still have adequate protection. It just happened that NEITHER of them have really panned out.
Reply/Quote
(02-02-2019, 01:17 PM)KillerGoose Wrote: I think the pick itself was a bit suspect BUT the idea behind it was fantastic. Two tackles in the first two rounds with the expectation of both your bookends leaving. Both decent prospects, save money and still have adequate protection. It just happened that NEITHER of them have really panned out.

I respect the opinion , but I hated it.

We had other areas of need, areas that have become a problem now. And instead of addressing them, we flushed a top 10 LT. That's mind bogglingly bad. If we'd used that pick to snag a defensive playmaker or a te, kept Whit and tried to prepare for his eventual departure with a later pick, inagine how different the last few years would've been.

I hated the og pick. It was saying "hey we're going to play it safe from a value pick stand point."
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(02-02-2019, 02:02 PM)Benton Wrote: I respect the opinion , but I hated it.

We had other areas of need, areas that have become a problem now. And instead of addressing them, we flushed a top 10 LT. That's mind bogglingly bad. If we'd used that pick to snag a defensive playmaker or a te, kept Whit and tried to prepare for his eventual departure with a later pick, inagine how different the last few years would've been.

I hated the og pick. It was saying "hey we're going to play it safe from a value pick stand point."

I could of honestly understood us picking a Guard there instead of Og since Zeit was leaving regardless.

Hindsight is 20/20 but the Og pick was just a waste, if we would of gotten a decent Guard our line would be better than it was with Og around. But hey, we might still have PA here so, screw it, i like where we are at. Lets solidify the O-line to what our new O-line coach and Taylor believe and we should come out of this smelling like roses for once.
Reply/Quote
I don't hate Whit. He chose to leave and that's his right. It's not like he was under contract and tried to strongarm his way out of it or anything. I personally hate the notion that the Bengals should have just given Whit a blank check to stay. I also personally hate the idea that Whit leaving was an all time Bengal blunder when we weren't making the playoffs the last two years with or without him and would still be looking for a replacement.
Reply/Quote
(02-02-2019, 12:32 PM)jason Wrote: Buddy... I'll never forget sitting on my couch in my now departed man cave watching that draft. It rolls around to the Bengals' pick, and ol Roger strolls up and blurts out some name I'd never heard of... Then the commentators start blathering on about how he's injured. He was already suspect to me. Then he got in a couple of games toward the end of the season... Didn't look terrible. 2016 rolls around, and I hear Willie Anderson talking about all if these weaknesses he needs to work on... Opening day rolls around and the Jets just pummel the guy (to be fair they pummeled the entire line)... What a bust.

I knew his name and was like WHAT!!! when they drafted him..."Can't anchor against stronger ends", "Questionable work ethic", "good feet but needs to get stronger"...and I was thinking the steelers and ravens were probably licking their chops to get their sack totals up in the game against him.

Groan.  Water under the bridge.  Could have had Orlando Brown in 4th rd but we took another athletic LB with questionable instincts....Groan again.  Hopefully the new regime drafts FOOTBALL PLAYERS over athletes this year and moving forward. 
Reply/Quote
(02-02-2019, 05:25 PM)SHRacerX Wrote: I knew his name and was like WHAT!!! when they drafted him..."Can't anchor against stronger ends", "Questionable work ethic", "good feet but needs to get stronger"...and I was thinking the steelers and ravens were probably licking their chops to get their sack totals up in the game against him.

Groan.  Water under the bridge.  Could have had Orlando Brown in 4th rd but we took another athletic LB with questionable instincts....Groan again.  Hopefully the new regime drafts FOOTBALL PLAYERS over athletes this year and moving forward. 

I'd already forgotten about Dawson...

What a shitty draft 2015 was.
I'm gonna break every record they've got. I'm tellin' you right now. I don't know how I'm gonna do it, but it's goin' to get done.

- Ja'Marr Chase 
  April 2021
Reply/Quote
(02-02-2019, 03:46 PM)Nate (formerly eliminate08) Wrote: I could of honestly understood us picking a Guard there instead of Og since Zeit was leaving regardless.

Hindsight is 20/20 but the Og pick was just a waste, if we would of gotten a decent Guard our line would be better than it was with Og around. But hey, we might still have PA here so, screw it, i like where we are at. Lets solidify the O-line to what our new O-line coach and Taylor believe and we should come out of this smelling like roses for once.

Kind of torn there. The thing with zeitler was, we weren't going to pay a guard. Taking one in the first would've been like "well, we got him for four."
Reply/Quote
(02-02-2019, 05:14 PM)Whatever Wrote: I don't hate Whit. He chose to leave and that's his right. It's not like he was under contract and tried to strongarm his way out of it or anything. I personally hate the notion that the Bengals should have just given Whit a blank check to stay. I also personally hate the idea that Whit leaving was an all time Bengal blunder when we weren't making the playoffs the last two years with or without him and would still be looking for a replacement.

Good point. This is being overlooked a lot here. We sucked even with Whit and Zeitler.

Reply/Quote
Remember the picture against the Giants (I think) where all of the linemen, including Whit and Zeitler, had been knocked on their asses and were on the ground. Whit reinvigorated his game....in LA, and good for him. He was on a decline here.
Reply/Quote
(02-03-2019, 10:46 AM)Sled21 Wrote: Remember the picture against the Giants (I think) where all of the linemen, including Whit and Zeitler, had been knocked on their asses and were on the ground. Whit reinvigorated his game....in LA, and good for him. He was on a decline here.

Theres a term for that "Marvinitis"
Reply/Quote
Come on Rams and Whitt, win this thing.
Free Agency ain't over until it is over. 

First 6 years BB - 41 wins and 54 losses with 1-1 playoff record with 2 teams Browns and Pats
Reply/Quote
You know, Rex Burkhead is no less a quality individual than Whitworth.....
Reply/Quote
(02-03-2019, 11:09 PM)Sled21 Wrote: You know, Rex Burkhead is no less a quality individual than Whitworth.....

True, but I never did see him rolling on the ground, fighting with a Steeler, when he wore a Bengals jersey..

Volson is meh, but I like him, and he has far exceeded my expectations

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
(02-03-2019, 11:09 PM)Sled21 Wrote: You know, Rex Burkhead is no less a quality individual than Whitworth.....

True, but Andrew was here over a decade, Rex just for a cup of coffee
Free Agency ain't over until it is over. 

First 6 years BB - 41 wins and 54 losses with 1-1 playoff record with 2 teams Browns and Pats
Reply/Quote
Whit played well; so did Rex. Really it came down to the Pats doing a lot of stuff schematically the Rams were unable to discover a counter to. Also having the best CB in the NFL (Gilmore) made their job easier.
Reply/Quote
(02-04-2019, 12:16 AM)Joelist Wrote: Whit played well; so did Rex. Really it came down to the Pats doing a lot of stuff schematically the Rams were unable to discover a counter to. Also having the best CB in the NFL (Gilmore) made their job easier.

The Pats DL kicked the snot out of the Rams OL all game long.  It didn't seem that Gurley was 100%.  The Rams just didn't seem to have a plan B on offense.  They ran a college based offense all year, and I wonder if Goff is limiting what they can do in that regard.  That defense played their ass off, but just gassed down the stretch.  
Reply/Quote
(02-04-2019, 12:32 AM)Whatever Wrote: The Pats DL kicked the snot out of the Rams OL all game long.  It didn't seem that Gurley was 100%.  The Rams just didn't seem to have a plan B on offense.  They ran a college based offense all year, and I wonder if Goff is limiting what they can do in that regard.  That defense played their ass off, but just gassed down the stretch.  

Marvin Lewis is the blame here, he sent this message to the Rams HC

"Sean, set your plan and let it play out. IF you happen to lose its either because A) you have to play better or B) you have to do your job."
-Marvin Lewis
Reply/Quote
Goff did not look good tonight.
Everything in this post is my fault.
Reply/Quote
(02-04-2019, 12:32 AM)Whatever Wrote: The Pats DL kicked the snot out of the Rams OL all game long.  It didn't seem that Gurley was 100%.  The Rams just didn't seem to have a plan B on offense.  They ran a college based offense all year, and I wonder if Goff is limiting what they can do in that regard.  That defense played their ass off, but just gassed down the stretch.  

The injury to Kupp and the knee tweak to Gurley def hurt them but they were still putting up points late in the season with the acquisition of Anderson. You just have to give credit to the Pats for chewing that Rams line up and spitting them out. 

"The measure of a man's intelligence can be seen in the length of his argument."
Reply/Quote