Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
For all who wish we kept Brown over Nugent...
(08-22-2016, 10:57 AM)fredtoast Wrote: Shayne Graham was not the problem.  If Cedric Benson had not had one of the greatest single game performances in Bengal history we would not have scored a point against the Jets.

Ah, ya, it's easy to forget employee #32 had such a great game. The ineptness of the passing game overshadowed that.

Graham wasn't the problem, I agree, so I found it interesting that Marvin somewhat singled him out after the game. Very unMarvy.
Reply/Quote
(08-22-2016, 02:44 PM)GreenCornBengal Wrote: Graham wasn't the problem, I agree, so I found it interesting that Marvin somewhat singled him out after the game. Very unMarvy.

He was protecting the franchise (Carson). Graham was an easy scapegoat.
The training, nutrition, medicine, fitness, playbooks and rules evolve. The athlete does not.
Reply/Quote
(08-22-2016, 05:02 PM)Shake n Blake Wrote: He was protecting the franchise (Carson). Graham was an easy scapegoat.

The guy missed both FGs and they were  what...32 and 28 yards or something?  What are the odds of missing both of those?  The guy had an improbably bad game and was 0% at doing his job that day.  What is the success rate on 32 and 28 yard FGs?  Yea, Carson blew but Graham was a fitting guy to get called out that game, I think.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(08-23-2016, 02:27 PM)Nately120 Wrote: The guy missed both FGs and they were  what...32 and 28 yards or something?  What are the odds of missing both of those?  The guy had an improbably bad game and was 0% at doing his job that day.  What is the success rate on 32 and 28 yard FGs?  Yea, Carson blew but Graham was a fitting guy to get called out that game, I think.

It was fair to call him out, but really he was the only one who got called out. One guy got fired and none of the other disappointing players were even talked about.

Sure looks like Graham was a scapegoat to me. With a halfway decent passing game, maybe those 6 missed points wouldn't have hurt so much. Benson carried the offense by himself.

In the end, Palmer never got much grief for that (very Dalton-like) playoff game. It all went to the ginger.
The training, nutrition, medicine, fitness, playbooks and rules evolve. The athlete does not.
Reply/Quote
(08-23-2016, 10:31 PM)Shake n Blake Wrote: It was fair to call him out, but really he was the only one who got called out. One guy got fired and none of the other disappointing players were even talked about.

Sure looks like Graham was a scapegoat to me. With a halfway decent passing game, maybe those 6 missed points wouldn't have hurt so much. Benson carried the offense by himself.

In the end, Palmer never got much grief for that (very Dalton-like) playoff game. It all went to the ginger.

Well, it's old hat by now but seeing the whole team crap the bed in the playoffs (particularly those tasked with putting points on the board) is nothing really new.  Graham was just astronomically bad, and Palmer and Benson managed to actually find the endzone, so there is that.

I tried to find the statistics on what % the average kicker in 2009 would succeed from 35 and 28 yards and a quick glance that I'm no saying is right makes it seem like both have a success rate in the 90% range (with most kickers in the league in 2009 hitting 100% from that range).  So if it is about a 1 in 10 chance that a guy misses either kick, then missing both is like a 1 in 100 chance.  That actually seems even worse than I thought, so I may very well be miscalculating that.  

Still, missing 2 FGs in that range is just SO bad that it goes above an beyond the incompetence we've come to see from a lot of Bengals players in the post-season.

https://www.teamrankings.com/nfl/player-stat/field-goal-percentage-20-to-29?season_id=7

https://www.teamrankings.com/nfl/player-stat/field-goal-percentage-30-to-39?season_id=7
Reply/Quote
(08-20-2016, 03:47 PM)GreenCornBengal Wrote: http://www.pro-football-reference.com/leaders/fg_perc_career.htm

Thought this was interesting for reference. Shayne Graham is the 8th most accurate kicker in league history, and Nugent is 33rd

Shayne Graham is available  Tongue

http://www.nfl.com/player/mikenugent/2506386/careerstats
http://www.nfl.com/player/shaynegraham/2504162/careerstats

I'm trying to remember why he left us in the first place... was it an injury thing? Does he not get along with the coaching staff? Guy had a 90%+ kicking percentage every year with the Bengals... The reason he left is escaping me...

Bad rap for some the timing of his few missed FG that came at inopportune time in key games coupled with some bad snaps by Brad St Louis along the way cost him ultimately in my opinion. 

Shane "Opie" Graham was one of the best kickers the Bengals have ever had.

But that ship has sailed and got to hope Nugent snaps out of slump. But like I have said before, would rather have him struggling now than when it counts. 

But tagging him was down right silly. He is not that good, but it is a business and not many kickers sell jerseys.  

The water tastes funny when you're far from your home,
yet it's only the thirsty that hunger to roam. 
          Roam the Jungle !
Reply/Quote
Nothing to really add except maybe that am sure there is somebody as good or better out there available.

But it would be a guessing game to who that person is and could very easily end up with somebody way worse.

Mostly just want to get off my 666th post though.

The water tastes funny when you're far from your home,
yet it's only the thirsty that hunger to roam. 
          Roam the Jungle !
Reply/Quote
(08-24-2016, 03:22 AM)Go Cards Wrote: Nothing to really add except maybe that am sure there is somebody as good or better out there available.

But it would be a guessing game to who that person is and could very easily end up with somebody way worse.

Mostly just want to get off my 666th post though.

I have never seen a Bengal practice. Does the FG kicker kick much during practice, or does he stand around holding his helmet?

IMO Nugent needs to be kicking with a live snapper and holder day and night until he figures how to kick the ball through (as in between) the uprights!!! Sad
Reply/Quote
(08-24-2016, 10:27 PM)Derrick Wrote: I have never seen a Bengal practice. Does the FG kicker kick much during practice, or does he stand around holding his helmet?

IMO Nugent needs to be kicking with a live snapper and holder day and night until he figures how to kick the ball through (as in between) the uprights!!! Sad

They do all sorts of things. Usually they focus on the kicker, punter, or long snapper so the other two help out.
You can always trust an dishonest man to be dishonest. Honestly, it's the honest ones you have to look out for.
"Winning makes believers of us all"-Paul Brown
Reply/Quote