Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
For everyone else in the Carolinas...
I know I'm not alone down this way (I don't remember names well) but stay safe and try to remain dry the best you can. The outer bands are just now hitting Sumter SC which is about a half hour drive from my place. Quite a few Bengals players are from the area as well.. Here's to wishing everyone a safe and dry weekend. Keep your powder dry fellas.. 
The map is scarier than what's actually happening here right now. It's intermittently calm and cloudy now with occasional gusts of wind.. Almost perfect weather for not going fishing and call me a weenie, but I'm probably not going to go sit out the on the old wooden dock in 50 mph winds.. 
[Image: ponLptnYj]
In the immortal words of my old man, "Wait'll you get to be my age!"

Chicago sounds rough to the maker of verse, but the one comfort we have is Cincinnati sounds worse. ~Oliver Wendal Holmes Sr.

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(09-14-2018, 05:13 PM)grampahol Wrote: I know I'm not alone down this way (I don't remember names well) but stay safe and try to remain dry the best you can. The outer bands are just now hitting Sumter SC which is about a half hour drive from my place. Quite a few Bengals players are from the area as well.. Here's to wishing everyone a safe and dry weekend. Keep your powder dry fellas.. 
The map is scarier than what's actually happening here right now. It's intermittently calm and cloudy now with occasional gusts of wind.. Almost perfect weather for not going fishing and call me a weenie, but I'm probably not going to go sit out the on the old wooden dock in 50 mph winds.. 
[Image: ponLptnYj]
Be safe everyone, don't take risks. Thoughts and prayers for all.
Free Agency ain't over until it is over. 

First 6 years BB - 41 wins and 54 losses with 1-1 playoff record with 2 teams Browns and Pats
Reply/Quote
I'm just now getting the wind
[Image: Untitleddfcopycopycopycopy_zps872b23c3.png]
Reply/Quote
How's everyone doing?
"We have been sentenced to life in the prison that is a Bengals fan and we are going to serve out our time"
Reply/Quote
(09-15-2018, 03:11 AM)Lawless_1 Wrote: I'm just now getting the wind

Ever seen a storm move so slow? It has a half hour drive away from us last night around 8pm.. We just started getting rain this morning.. I could outrun this one.. 

Chicago sounds rough to the maker of verse, but the one comfort we have is Cincinnati sounds worse. ~Oliver Wendal Holmes Sr.

Reply/Quote
(09-15-2018, 08:31 AM)grampahol Wrote: Ever seen a storm move so slow? It has a half hour drive away from us last night around 8pm.. We just started getting rain this morning.. I could outrun this one.. 

Let's hope it picks up the pace. Everything I have seen is saying the slowness will create more problems than if it would have just flown through quickly. I grew up in New Richmond, I lived on high ground, but when a river floods it is catastrophic and dangerous. My fear is it seems many rivers will flood that may have never flooded. Those hopefully heed the warnings, the fear is the won't as they have never seen a flood's devastation.
Free Agency ain't over until it is over. 

First 6 years BB - 41 wins and 54 losses with 1-1 playoff record with 2 teams Browns and Pats
Reply/Quote
We're about 15 miles SE of Raleigh, a good 100 mi. from where the storm made landfall. It's still raining and blowing, but our damages are pretty minor, compared to those closer to the eye. We got lucky this time, and only lost power for about 5 hrs. yesterday. I say lucky, as not far from here there is real devastation. Massive flooding, and widespread power outages that will last days and perhaps weeks in some places.

Volson is meh, but I like him, and he has far exceeded my expectations

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
It's been really mild here in Columbia so far ,but they have a bunch of flash flood warnings out. A few years ago we had a lot of flooding around town ,roads and buildings washed out. I suspect we'll see similar things happen in the next few days. 
Last time we had flooding the lake out back came up about half way to the house ,but they lowered the lake this time so before it gets anywhere near us we'd have to get about 4 feet of rain and I don't expect anything near that much .

Reply/Quote
I know a lot of people got it a lot worse than we did, but for a storm that came right towards us we got the blah blah blah version.  Very sorry for the folks northeast of us. Lots and lots of flooding in NC and parts of SC with more to come for them. 

Reply/Quote
Just a little breezy here in Concord so far. Thanks Gramps, everyone stay safe and dry out there.
Reply/Quote
(09-15-2018, 08:31 AM)grampahol Wrote: Ever seen a storm move so slow? It has a half hour drive away from us last night around 8pm.. We just started getting rain this morning.. I could outrun this one.. 

Yea the weather men said you could literally walk from Myrtle Beach to Charlotte faster than the storm is moving. Pretty crazy, im bracing for the amount of rain this thing is going to dump just sitting over us. Looks like we're going to get the NE side of the storm up here which is the worst part of this hurricane.
Reply/Quote
I hope everyone is still making it through safely.
Reply/Quote
I'm now officially cut off from my parents, should anything happen to them. I-40 and I-95 both have sections closed due to flooding. I could likely meander some back road routes, but with all the interstate traffic following the same google directions, how long would that take?

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
I’m not implying that any of you are guilty of this, but I’ll never understand the people that stay in their homes risking their families lives when an evacuation has been mandated. I live in Florida about 2 miles from the gulf to the south and less than a quarter mile from the bay to the north and if that thing was barreling towards me like it was the east coast my wife and I would have been leaving no questions asked.

My heart aches for any who have lost loved ones and everything they’ve worked so hard to acquire. To everyone in or near the storm, stay safe out there.

Reply/Quote
(09-16-2018, 09:08 AM)The Real Deal Wrote: I’m not implying that any of you are guilty of this, but I’ll never understand the people that stay in their homes risking their families lives when an evacuation has been mandated. I live in Florida about 2 miles from the gulf to the south and less than a quarter mile from the bay to the north and if that thing was barreling towards me like it was the east coast my wife and I would have been leaving no questions asked.

My heart aches for any who have lost loved ones and everything they’ve worked so hard to acquire. To everyone in or near the storm, stay safe out there.

There are multiple reasons that people stay at their homes through major storms.  A big reason, the media often over hype's many of these weather events to be bigger than they actually are.  For many, it's simply a matter of resources, not having the money to leave town and stay in a motel for a significant period of time.  For some, it's love of their homes.  Looting is a very real thing that occurs in weather events.  For some others?  Just plain stubbornness.  As in, "We've survived through X number of storms, why should this one be any different?"

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
I'm 40 miles NW of Myrtle.....we are soggy and powerless for past 3 days. Wind wasn't as bad as expected. We are all grateful for lost of intensity just before landfall. Very little info as net was down and cell towers were on basic function until about an hr ago. I have a good generator to keep frig going and run a window unit. I would actually be enjoying this little hiatus from work and technology....except my house in filled with inlaws. That still wouldn't be bad if it wasn't for for my wife and her bunch acting like they are the only ones inconvenienced by this mess.....*sigh*.....
Reply/Quote
(09-16-2018, 12:27 PM)dr tarzan Wrote: I'm 40 miles NW of Myrtle.....we are soggy and powerless for past 3 days.  Wind wasn't as bad as expected.  We are all grateful for lost of intensity just before landfall.    Very little info as net was down and cell towers were on basic function until about an hr ago.  I have a good generator to keep frig going and run a window unit.    I would actually be enjoying this little hiatus from work and technology....except my house in filled with inlaws.   That still wouldn't be bad if it wasn't for for my wife and her bunch acting like they are the only ones inconvenienced by this mess.....*sigh*.....

40 mi. NW of Myrtle?  Like in the Whiteville or Tabor City NC, area?  I lived at Sunset Beach for 13 years, and we never had floods like this one, right now.

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
(09-15-2018, 10:20 AM)grampahol Wrote: It's been really mild here in Columbia so far ,but they have a bunch of flash flood warnings out. A few years ago we had a lot of flooding around town ,roads and buildings washed out. I suspect we'll see similar things happen in the next few days. 
Last time we had flooding the lake out back came up about half way to the house ,but they lowered the lake this time so before it gets anywhere near us we'd have to get about 4 feet of rain and I don't expect anything near that much .

I spent 6 months at Fort Jackson, so I'm very familiar with Columbia. Love that city and pray everyone in the Carolina's stays safe. 

Such weird weather we've had lately. Earthquakes in Japan, we had some F1 twisters rip through Michigan by my house, and now this.
The training, nutrition, medicine, fitness, playbooks and rules evolve. The athlete does not.
Reply/Quote
(09-16-2018, 01:23 AM)SunsetBengal Wrote: I'm now officially cut off from my parents, should anything happen to them.  I-40 and I-95 both have sections closed due to flooding.  I could likely meander some back road routes, but with all the interstate traffic following the same google directions, how long would that take?

Probably not a great idea taking back roads as a lot are likely flooded out or missing chunks of the roadway all together.. Last flood here we had several roads out. Spears Creek Church Rd near us was washed out  completely for about 6 months till it finally got fixed so to get to I-20 we had to deture quite a ways.. 
I imagine a bunch are going to be out on back roads..  

Reply/Quote
(09-16-2018, 12:34 PM)Shake n Blake Wrote: I spent 6 months at Fort Jackson, so I'm very familiar with Columbia. Love that city and pray everyone in the Carolina's stays safe. 

Such weird weather we've had lately. Earthquakes in Japan, we had some F1 twisters rip through Michigan by my house, and now this.
It is a pleasant town for the most part. Traffic isn't bad (except I-26 @ 20.. That's a built-in death trap.. lol ).. and not a lot of huge crappy neighborhoods like some places I've lived.   Kind of hot in the summer though.. 

Reply/Quote