Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
For the People Act
https://www.washingtonpost.com/powerpost/house-democrats-unveil-bill-targeting-trump-on-tax-returns-and-transparency/2019/01/04/43f429a8-102d-11e9-831f-3aa2c2be4cbd_story.html?utm_term=.233868e5a9fa

While I agree with most of these policy proposals, this irritates the ever-loving shit out of me. Most of these policies are ones that only the states have the power to make reality and Congress does not have that authority. I am all in favor of making some progressive statements, but trying to overstep the authority of the federal government is not the way to do it. They need to be focusing on things that they actually can do.
"A great democracy has got to be progressive, or it will soon cease to be either great or a democracy..." - TR

"The test of our progress is not whether we add more to the abundance of those who have much; it is whether we provide enough for those who have too little." - FDR
Can we see the tax returns of congressional candidates as well? Personally I’m not concerned about seeing the tax returns of office holders, and I’m not sure where congress derives the power to demand them but perhaps they have it. And the chairs of congressional committees having the ability to look at anyone’s tax return is ludicrous.
“History teaches that grave threats to liberty often come in times of urgency, when constitutional rights seem too extravagant to endure.”-Thurgood Marshall

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Congress should be careful what they wish for. Many Congressmen go to Washington with a modest existence, only to end up "rich" by most people's standards, on a salary that is not particularly exceptional. If they keep digging, people might start asking to see their financial records.

Volson is meh, but I like him, and he has far exceeded my expectations

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
(01-04-2019, 08:44 PM)michaelsean Wrote: Can we see the tax returns of congressional candidates as well?  Personally I’m not concerned about seeing the tax returns of office holders, and I’m not sure where congress derives the power to demand them but perhaps they have it.  And the chairs of congressional committees having the ability to look at anyone’s tax return is ludicrous.

(01-04-2019, 08:50 PM)SunsetBengal Wrote: Congress should be careful what they wish for.  Many Congressmen go to Washington with a modest existence, only to end up "rich" by most people's standards, on a salary that is not particularly exceptional.  If they keep digging, people might start asking to see their financial records.

I'm perfectly fine with all of that. More transparency is good. 
[Image: ulVdgX6.jpg]

(01-07-2019, 11:42 AM)BmorePat87 Wrote: I'm perfectly fine with all of that. More transparency is good. 

I couldn't tell you what Obama's tax returns said.  I figure if someone did something illegal, the IRS would have done something about it.  
“History teaches that grave threats to liberty often come in times of urgency, when constitutional rights seem too extravagant to endure.”-Thurgood Marshall

(01-07-2019, 12:08 PM)michaelsean Wrote: I couldn't tell you what Obama's tax returns said.  I figure if someone did something illegal, the IRS would have done something about it.  

I'm not as concerned with illegal activity (for the reason you stated) as I am with seeing where some financial ties may be and what loopholes people are taking advantage of. 
[Image: ulVdgX6.jpg]

(01-07-2019, 12:08 PM)michaelsean Wrote: I couldn't tell you what Obama's tax returns said.  I figure if someone did something illegal, the IRS would have done something about it.  

(01-07-2019, 01:25 PM)BmorePat87 Wrote: I'm not as concerned with illegal activity (for the reason you stated) as I am with seeing where some financial ties may be and what loopholes people are taking advantage of. 

You have more faith in the IRS than you should. But Pat is spot on about the real issue tax returns are handy.
"A great democracy has got to be progressive, or it will soon cease to be either great or a democracy..." - TR

"The test of our progress is not whether we add more to the abundance of those who have much; it is whether we provide enough for those who have too little." - FDR